Top of the morning!

Hi guys, just joined :smiley:

I’m after some advice if that’s ok. I’m going to get into lorry driving and will hope to be starting my training soon… up to the Cat C + E license.

I’ve been in touch with a training company who have steered me in the right direction, as I did find it confusing at first as to what I needed to do and compete to get trained. For past few days I have been on here just reading up on stuff and just wondered should I also ensure I pay for a tachograph training course? The training company haven’t even mentioned this to me, so a bit confused on that. Should I then also look into purchasing my own tachograph or is that not necessary?

Also should I pay out for a Sat Nav or are these provided in the lorries you drive in?

Lastly :wink: is there anything else I should be looking into getting or doing to help me in the job? Whether that be to make the job easier or more comfortable :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys…

Welcome :slight_smile:

I have only just passed C+E but my thoughts.

A taco course is your choice. To start with I was unsure but I THINK I have my head round it now. Wait for me to be back asking for help though :wink: You will need to buy your own digi card.

I believe some places provide sat navs but I have brought my own. I only brought a cheap truck one though. They are only a guide remember. I have brought a truck atlas as think that will be more help overall.

Can’t help with the last point as I am still only looking at jobs. So long as you have gloves, hi vis and safety boots?

Finally from me how many trainers have you spoken to? Sounds like a good one but if its only 1 you may not know any better. Any decent 1 won’t mind you calling/visiting.

Best of luck!

Gorbash:
I’ve been in touch with a training company who have steered me in the right direction

Which training company :question:

Please read all the info contained within the link in my signature below before paying for anything

Thanks for your reply guys.

Bigwheelers in South Wales, as I’m based just outside Cardiff.

How much are the digi cards then? Didn’t realise you had to buy a card too :open_mouth:

Gorbash:
How much are the digi cards then? Didn’t realise you had to buy a card too :open_mouth:

32 for first. 19 when renew/replace lost ones. Last 5 years I think.

Have you spoken to anyone else? No harm in a second opinion…

Yeah will be getting a second opinion of another local company just to be sure…

I take it all being well I would have to start off with agency work at first? from what I’ve read online not many companies take on newbies :frowning:

Gorbash:
Yeah will be getting a second opinion of another local company just to be sure…

I take it all being well I would have to start off with agency work at first? from what I’ve read online not many companies take on newbies :frowning:

Depends, I have had 1 offer, 1 assessment who want me to go back for some more time and another assessment tomorrow. All permanent jobs directly with the company’s. It can be done…

Companies do take on newbies, it depends how you come across at the interview, the stipulations the insurance company has and the area you are from, to name but a few factors. It depends too how quickly you need to find work. If you have a job already, you can afford to take your time and wait for a company to come up. If you need a fast fix, agency may be the way to go. At least you get to try different types of work out before you decide what’s for you.

Cheers guys.

When you go for a job interview they give you an assessment do they? Like a practical assessment in the lorry?

Top tip… Don’t bother with your class 1!! :slight_smile:

SouthEastCashew:

Oh right, why you say that mate?

Gorbash:
Cheers guys.

When you go for a job interview they give you an assessment do they? Like a practical assessment in the lorry?

Yes and depending on the company you should expect a written test on the basics like regs, Highway Code etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorbash:

SouthEastCashew:

Oh right, why you say that mate?

Just isn’t worth it you are better off saving your money & just getting your class 2. The difference in pay from your class 2 work to your class 1 work is minimal. All the best for the future regardless!!

I see mate… haven’t had a reply yet as to the price on the course you can take 5 days later for the extra qualification…

Any ideas on the training fee for this then? Sounds like it could be a few quid going off your last reply.

Just to fill in a few blanks here…

• Tacho card can be obtained from DVLA tacho card form

• Tacho training course probably isn’t a bad idea, but I’d make sure it’s a CPC course for driver hours which should cover tachos too. There’s not much to learn about using them beyond an hours training, but driver hours often catches people out.

• You don’t need your own tachograph unit as there are at least 3 main digital tacho machines and numerous analog ones. There’s a very good tachograph simulator for the main digital ones but don’t worry if it looks complicated…they are pretty straight forward.

• Sat navs for trucks are very useful tools, although there’s major debates as to whether you should buy a cheap one or one of the expensive ones. Personally for a new driver I’d say buy something specific for trucks whether it’s one from Trucktables or something like a TomTom Truck 6000. In theory they both do the same job and are both much better than a car one! Just don’t assume it’s always right.

• Just make sure you know all the stuff you need for the training:
    – HGV medical
    – Theory and hazard perception tests (mod 1a + 1b)
    – Theory part 2 (mod 2)
    – Real test (mod 3)
    – Module 4 mini practical test

• HGV class 2 or 1…depends what you want to do, but don’t believe that class 1 means sitting on your backside all day and no physical work. Some jobs are like that and others like working for the coop you’ll be dragging cages off the truck, down taillift and into the store. All for a couple of quid an hour more than class 2.

Finally, get a psych exam and if you still want to drive a truck for a living, book yourself in to the institution and bring your own straight jacket. :smiley:

Hahahaha cheers Trev :smiley:

Any idea on what the cost would be for the hgv 1?

They should reply tomorrow… but maybe you would have a rough idea? :slight_smile:

Cost me from memory about £1200 to go from class 2 to class 1 with Peter Smyth (although he’ll likely correct me if I got it wrong). :slight_smile:

Mind you, cost me at least £1800 to get to class 2 with someone else.

trevHCS:
Cost me from memory about £1200 to go from class 2 to class 1 with Peter Smyth (although he’ll likely correct me if I got it wrong). :slight_smile:

Crikey didn’t realise it would be that much more again to do the class 1 :open_mouth:

Gorbash:

trevHCS:

Crikey didn’t realise it would be that much more again to do the class 1 :open_mouth:

I have recently paid Peter Smythe 1260 for class 2 and 1305 for class 1, roughly.

However whilst passed class 2 first time class 1 was 3rd attempt :blush:

I mention this because with medical, theories, training and retests it has cost me getting towards 3500 to get class 1!

I had the money and view it as worth it, however you need to decide if its worth it for you, and and if you have the cash to do it

Cost me 650 for class 2 and 1350 for class 1