Working hours

Now this might seem a bit stupid and I’ve got my theory etc booked but I have a question on working hours.

I keep reading things about drivers saying they’re working 15 hour days like 4/5 days a week, but I was under the impression that you could only work 48 hours a week averaged over a 17 week period, so how are so many drivers working so many hours etc or are they taking lots of time off over the average period. I also presume most employers offer a 48 hour weekly contract so if you go over it they cut it back the following week or something?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

Rob

Breaks and POA don’t count towards the working time, also some companies simply ignore the 48 hour week.

15 hours refers to the maximum time between reduced daily rests of 9 hours within 24 hours of finishing the previous daily rest. (Which you can take three of between weekly rests).

Not all of a shift is working time since you have to take breaks and there is the option of using POA which also doesn’t count to the weekly working totals.

Some drivers might be doing 15 hour shifts regularly, but have waiting time which they can record as breaks or POA and keep within the 48 hour weekly average.
Some drivers might be doing long shifts and working between 48 and 60 hours in some weeks and getting time back (days off or shorter shifts) to get their average within 48 hours on other weeks.

It depends on the type of work being done, the contracts of employment and pay structures.

Ok thanks. Is there any way to keep track off the total hours like an app or something or even something where you can download from smart card yourself.

Take a look at the vdo dtco smart kink on the vdo website. Basically a Bluetooth device that plugs into a vehicles vdo tacho unit. This then syncs with your phone and shows you most of the information you will require.