Wages for newbie with hi-ab in Reading Berkshire

Hello all.

Hope your not melting in the heat.

I’ve done my lgv (2012), when I was in the fire service, but only recently done my cpc, got digi card and did my first cpc yesterday (drivers hours and tacho’s), I’m doing my ALLMI hi-ab mid July (which I’ve put the cpc hours on for too) all being well I’ll pass that and start looking for a new job (currently working for Autoglass).

I’d like to get into grab loading but many adverts say 2 years grab experience and full 35 hours cpc, so I was thinking of going with a builders merchant to gain experience for a few years, being near to Reading, Maidenhead and Slough there is a few about, I’m just curious as what to expect wage wise as a newbie, I don’t want to get mugged off, is around £22k about right?

If push comes to shove there are loads of agencies around me.

Any advise will be grateful received.

Thanks, Daz.

As a newbie you should expect the same wage as an oldie…you are still driving a hgv just the same.
Around here 22k for class 2 is about right.

Thank you, wasn’t sure as a new driver they would try and take the mick and offer a slightly lower wage.

Daz3244:
Thank you, wasn’t sure as a new driver they would try and take the mick and offer a slightly lower wage.

If they do then refuse it unless its very short term whilst you learn the ropes,certainly no more than a month though…they won’t be charging customers any less because a newbie is driving the truck :smiley:

xichrisxi:
As a newbie you should expect the same wage as an oldie…you are still driving a hgv just the same.

Sorry but I can’t agree with this, why should someone with no experience and no proven record of ability expect the same pay and conditions as someone with years of experience and a proven track record.

This applies especially to driving jobs where experience can play a big part in how well the job is done, i.e. heavy haulage, tipper work (to a point), grab, moffet, car transporter ec’t ec’t.

As a new HGV driver you may possibly get the same pay and conditions as an experienced driver, but unless you’re talking about the most basic of jobs I don’t see why you should “expect” it.

I fully accept that I won’t get the same wage as a more experienced person and your right I shouldn’t expect it as I don’t have the experience or knowledge that someone of 15-20 years would have, but I wasn’t sure what a newbie would earn as I’m new to the trucking world and didn’t want to accept a peanuts wage if they were trying to be cheeky and offer me well below what would normally be acceptable for a new driver to earn.

Hope it makes sense.

tachograph:

xichrisxi:

Sorry but I can’t agree with this, why should someone with no experience and no proven record of ability expect the same pay and conditions as someone with years of experience and a proven track record.

This applies especially to driving jobs where experience can play a big part in how well the job is done, i.e. heavy haulage, tipper work (to a point), grab, moffet, car transporter ec’t ec’t.

As a new HGV driver you may possibly get the same pay and conditions as an experienced driver, but unless you’re talking about the most basic of jobs I don’t see why you should “expect” it.

Unless your talking different contracts for current drivers and new starters joining a company that is very tricky these days.

If I as a new pass go for interview for the same job with you and you have 10 years experience for example the company are left exposed under age discrimination if the experienced driver is older. Purely as the younger driver hasn’t had the “opportunity” to gain said experience.

For what it’s worth I disagree as do think that maybe if more firms offered a “training” rate (without taking the mickey) it may make it easier to get a start. I certainly am not expecting huge money though the offer I currently have is the same terms as his current drivers are on.

lets face it if your the employer paying “full rate” wages why take a new pass/inexperienced driver over someone who has been doing it years?

Your point around the skilled jobs are easily defend by only employing experienced drivers using the insurance defence

Hang on though I’ve seen a few jobs where they advertise with a wage rate of between X and Y. I assume if that’s to pay Y to more experienced and X to those who are not.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Christ, think I’ve opened a can of worms :smiley:

I fully understand paying someone who’s got more experience more money, as they should be better and quicker than me.

I only earn £20k at the moment, so anything is an improvement to be fair.