How many inches is enough for you?

Ive already decided which model satnav im upgrading my old garmin too after just passing my class2
but what size to get is the question … pretty sure 7" is too big as im going to be taking it out of its holder every drop and on multi drops that could be a bit of a pain.
A 5" model will fit in my pocket nicely so im tempted to go with that… and yes as an old boy i already have a map in my bag but just like the simplicity of a decent satnav …

Just realised i may have already answered my own question there :laughing:

7" all the way for me,in fact I’ve tried smaller and it just doesn’t work as good…anyways,back to sat navs :smiley:

As above I thought the 7" would be too big but it really isn’t,and I also had a job doing multi drop so would be in and out of its holder maybe 20-30 times a day but it didn’t bother me tbh…not anymore than taking a 5" one would anyway,better display on the 7" imo,I just took it out and popped it in one of the over head compartments in my Volvo or hid it behind the curtain at the back of my seat if I had a DAF

Why do you have to take it out of its holder at every drop? Just lock the cab and leave it there.

Look in the pro forum, I just commented on a thread for a sat nav phone app for truckers, which seems to do a better job than standalone units… But if you want a standalone, bigger is better. Tiny screens are crap to use.

iomex:
Look in the pro forum, I just commented on a thread for a sat nav phone app for truckers, which seems to do a better job than standalone units… But if you want a standalone, bigger is better. Tiny screens are crap to use.

Yea ive actually got co pilot on my phone which has a 5" screen so pretty decent to view but i dont think they do the truck version for windows phone.
Truth is though the mrs is paying for my fathers day prezzie so would be rude to turn it down :laughing:

jbaz73:
Why do you have to take it out of its holder at every drop? Just lock the cab and leave it there.

Nice idea but it depends where you are and what your carrying,
my last job i could be away from the truck for anything up to an hour.
in 10 years working for same company i was broken into 3 times but they never got my satnav , although a few co workers who didnt have there satnav in there pocket lost out.being tight gits the company wouldnt insure any personal items that were left in the cab which is fair enough i suppose.
The old garmin i have now is 10 years old and only cost 25 quid second hand but i wouldnt wont to be taking chances with 300 quids worth of kit.
Maybe im just a bit paranoid but once bitten and all that …

If your going to take it out every stop then ensure it’s not a clip to hold it in the holder and more acslide into position otherwise the clip will break in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IavAgo:
If your going to take it out every stop then ensure it’s not a clip to hold it in the holder and more acslide into position otherwise the clip will break in no time.

That’d be my worry as the contacts will only do so many connections and those brackets aren’t that cheap - even more expensive if it goes on the sat nav unit end! Plus you’d find the USB cable which I assume it’ll use will break pretty quick. Remember to lock the cab and you’ll be fine…infact many employers insist on it.

As for size, 7 inch for sure. I’ve got a TomTom 7 inch and thought it’d be overkill, but it’s the min size I’d recommend when you’re trying to follow it through little towns and streets.

lecro:
Ive already decided which model satnav im upgrading my old garmin too after just passing my class2
but what size to get is the question … pretty sure 7" is too big as im going to be taking it out of its holder every drop and on multi drops that could be a bit of a pain.
A 5" model will fit in my pocket nicely so im tempted to go with that… and yes as an old boy i already have a map in my bag but just like the simplicity of a decent satnav …

Just realised i may have already answered my own question there :laughing:

I have 7inch xgody, I personally find the screen too big.