The dreaded reverse...

Hi All

I am going to finally use my class one… passed in the 90s and not used it very much at all.

I have my CPC and digi tacho so all good to go.

As I don’t want to look like a complete muppet when I come to drive, I have been back to a HGV school and had a morning refresher.
No issues with my roadcraft… spot on according to the instructor.

My reversing however is not so good.

I did manage to get it in the box and reverse in a str8 line after much effort.

I know it will fall into place (or hope it will), I know I will need to get out and look, take it steady and take the shunt if I need it.
Any other tips, tricks, online vids or anything you would recommend?

Anything would really help.

Cheers!

Take your time. Don’t rush it and it will come to you. 95% of the reverse is done in the setup. Try and use all the room you have available to you as you have to account for the cab swing. Make sure your mirrors are clean and set correctly. You don’t need to see 85% of the trailer in them, nor the sky. If you’re reversing a loaded trailer, try and reduce the angle at which you come in. The tighter the angle, the more the tyres will scrub and the harder it will be to keep the trailer moving.

And watch your middle wheel on a tri- axle or the space between the wheels on a tandem - That is where your trailer is going

Unfortunately there is no ‘magic bullet’ for learning reversing it comes with time and experience but some helpful tips can help you along the way. Take your time, keep calm, use all the space, if in doubt get out and have a look and don’t worry how many shunts it takes or who you think might be watching and judging you. Don’t let it put you off, it will come in time - we all started out the same!

All good points and just remember if you think you need to go forward 6’ then go forward 12’ , always take more space than you think you need as it gives you more time getting the trailer turning where you want it to .

quick update… first HGV 1 reverse today.
Took about 15 mins to get it on a bay. Sounds trash… but I got it on.
Back at the yard… parked it str8 (well almost) between two trailers.
Did not hit anything or kill anyone… I would say a good day!

Like you say no damage, so got to be a good day.

Doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as its safe.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last reverse I did was shunting at stobarts bardon. Anyone who’s been in there will tell you that you have an area the size of Wembley to get it on. Still took me 12 stunts! And about15 mins.

I can do the test reverse first time every time, not boasting, it’s what I was trained to do and I was trained to do it well. But I can’t reverse in a straight line, on a curve or any kind of real world reversing buggers me up :frowning: I am going for a days retraining with Peter to learn what I should have learnt 2 years ago.

I find that the more space I have then the more shunts I take! lol. Seem to be able to get it in tight spaces between trailers etc in one go for some reason. As others have said just take your time and it doesn’t matter how many shunts it takes, just remember to open the rear doors before getting onto the bay as you look a prat when the loader gives you back your keys and says “I’m not a bloody magician you know”

Really good advice from fellow forum members.

I was off for a work for a month and thought how am I going to reverse again…(only been driving

Did fluke a few difficult ones and struggled with some easy ones…just take it slow and easy and get out if you think you are not sure.

Worse bit is when someone is watching as I am expected to get it done quickly…I just put my hands up and say do you want to try…meaning I will take as long as I need to to!!

Good luck and as my driving instructor says…you are driving forward 99% of the time so get that correct and reversing just take your time…