HGV Theory Test

Hello,

Has anyone completed one recently? Does it include questions on trailers and petrol tankers? What about cranes and tippers?

Petrol tankers would be ADR, so you don’t touch that, although iirc the test may ask you to recognise an ADR plate - as a non-ADR driver you still need to know what this is. If you hit the back of a truck carrying one of these, you’ll need to know to leg it in the other direction.

Cranes is your HIAB, that’s a seperate course, similar thing with tippers (I don’t remember there being tipper questions anyway).

Trailers are covered to some degree - you’ll need to know what the colours mean on your air lines, but it won’t ask you how to hook up a trailer.

This is all covered in revision material, anyway, which I strongly recommend you get - you’ll be surprised how much stuff is in there you wouldn’t have thought about.

recognise an ADR plate is understandable even if you not going to drive one, however it seems unfair if you’re asked about vehicles that you will not drive as there is many.

Well because it is CPC-based now, once you do that test, it means you only need a practical test to go from C to C+E rather than ■■■■ about doing a second theory test just to hitch up a trailer… that’s what I’ve taken from it, anyway.

Either way, it’s not hard, and 99% of it is applicable to what you’ll do.