New/younger drivers

As a supplement to a thread I have started on the Pro forum, I would like to try my best to encourage the newer drivers to this industry.

In the main, as a new starter the need to gain experience is vital. Many on here will have heard ’ 2 years experience ’ please. This can be true, but as I have shown over the last 3 years it can also be untrue. It’s exciting when you pass C and/or CE. Driving the big boy’s toys is great at first, but the novelty soon starts to wear off (sadly :frowning: ).

Unfortunately this haulage game is riddled with problems. " How does this involve/affect me? " you may ask.

Some time down the line you will experience being taken the ■■■■ out of by planners. The 10 hour drive no longer becomes a ’ back-up ’ option in case you hit unexpected traffic etc, it becomes a planners tool the same as a 15 hour shift. You will also experience Motorway Service Area’s which stink of ■■■■, have extortionate prices for drinks when you run out and are often full which leads some drivers to park on the hard shoulder at the exit.

Members of the public and even other fellow wagon drivers will grass you up for all sorts of road misdemeanours. Many of you will end up doing stupid hours and become used to having £500 week in your arse pocket and start living/spending accordingly.
You will potentially get stressed out, and the fact that you are immobile for many hours a day will affect your health.

As you know, it costs a LOT of dough to get licenced in this game, and most hauliers will pay around £10 per hour as a rough guide and a poll was conducted on the Pro forum which confirms this. ( Along with my own experience and also talking to many other drivers ). But there are an awful lot of employers who pay between £8 and £9 per hour :open_mouth:

As tempting as it is, DO NOT WORK FOR PEANUTS. I understand that it’s difficult to get a start, but this game is being run into the ground. If you don’t believe me, just research the other board :neutral_face: " Why is this ’ Beaver ’ chap trying to discourage us? " I hear…

Quite the opposite chaps. I grew up in trucks and have loved becoming a truck driver myself, and I understand the need for change. Lot’s of folk in haulage think that change needs to start from the top down. I disagree…new drivers have the power to change things. I believe now that a GENUINE driver shortage IS starting to happen. EVERY EMPLOYER I HAVE DRIVEN FOR HAS STRUGGLED TO GET WHAT THEY CALL ’ GOOD ’ DRIVERS. As a truck driver you do an important job. It’s a dangerous job, and truck drivers regularly get seriously injured and killed :cry: IT’S VITAL THAT YOU VALUE YOURSELVES AND YOUR FELLOW DIVERS. This industry needs turning around, and you lads (and lasses :laughing: ) DESERVE decent facilities, decent working conditions, well maintained clean trucks and a bit of RESPECT from folk.

I EMPLORE YOU TO DRIVE WELL. DRIVE SAFELY AND LEAVE YOUR PHONE ALONE. DON’T THROW RUBBISH EVERYWHERE. DON’T DRIVE OVER GRASSED VERGES AND WRECK THEM. DON’T BE BONE IDLE AND ■■■■ ALL OVER THE PLACE. START LOOKING AFTER YOURSELVES AND DONT END UP BEING A STEREOTYPICAL FAT, LAZY, BONE IDLE TAILGAITING ■■■■■■.

If you can’t complete the work allocated in the time given, THEN DON’T DO IT. Be PROFESSIONAL about your work and slowly the image of truck drivers can be turned around. SPEAK TRUTHFULLY ABOUT YOUR WAGES & TERMS TO FELLOW DRIVERS.

SPREAD THE WORD ON SOCIAL MEDIA. Crap companies who will work you like a dog need to be run out of town. DON’T WORK FOR THEM AND START NAMING AND SHAMING. New drivers can change things. Older drivers are leaving this job in their droves. IT’S A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR NEW DRIVERS TO ALTER THE FUTURE IN TRUCKING AND TURN AROUND PUBLIC PERCEPTION.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL NEWBIES. I wish you all safe drives and success. STICK IT TO THE MAN!!! :laughing:

I EMPLORE YOU TO DRIVE WELL. DRIVE SAFELY AND LEAVE YOUR PHONE ALONE. DON’T THROW RUBBISH EVERYWHERE. DON’T DRIVE OVER GRASSED VERGES AND WRECK THEM. DON’T BE BONE IDLE AND ■■■■ ALL OVER THE PLACE. START LOOKING AFTER YOURSELVES AND DONT END UP BEING A STEREOTYPICAL FAT, LAZY, BONE IDLE TAILGAITING ■■■■■■.

Amen, we get treated like animals because we act like them.

How long had you been driving eagerbeaver and what do you plan to do now?

DJC:

Amen, we get treated like animals because we act like them.

How long had you been driving eagerbeaver and what do you plan to do now?

Just into my fourth year mate, First 12 months class 2 and then class 1. I will probably re train myself and if required go to college if needed. I am 44 so it will be a bit strange to be effectively ’ going back to school ', but things need to change for truck drivers, I have stopped enjoying/enduring it :neutral_face:

In an ideal world I would love to somehow be involved in making things better for my fellow Brothers in wagons, and even though I will end up doing something else, I will always be a trucker at heart.

Start my new job monday (Palmer & Harvey, Fareham) and will take the advice given here. I agree that the driver shortage will become a more prevalent problem as the older drivers (no offense to anyone!) start to retire and no one to replace them may make employers start to cut corners to meet demand.

Thanks for the advice given here EageBeaver :smiley:

Am now going through the process of getting my class 2 theory will get booked soon. I live in norwich and when I sign up to agencys or look for work will not take less than 10 pound an hour. Luckily though I’m in work already so can be patient other people unfortunately can’t really afford to wait.

Agencies around east mids seem to offer £9 van, £11 upwards for C1 and C in my experience, although got a few £14s on Saturdays. As I tend to do weekend.

Agencies around east mids seem to offer £9 van, £11 upwards for C1 and C in my experience, although got a few £14s on Saturdays. As I tend to do weekend.

BTW fully agree with what Beaver says about being professional and not undervaluing ourselves. We pay a lot to get trained and then maintain the DCPC all the hassle of remembering and logging hours worked, on top of driving a 5T+ killing machine!

I like to think I adhere to most of this. I do my best, and although I will confess to following a Honda Jazz a bit too closely on occasion doing 40 in a 60, I generally don’t drive like a knobhead. I’ll ■■■■ in a bottle rather than on the pavement on an A-road layby, flash truckers in/out, wiggle my signals when other flash me, and help out other drivers (example recently at Trerulefoot filling station, someone with a tandem transporter used the right hand island and couldn’t get out so I moved my truck back to block off other people and saw him back). Little things like that go a long way.

Although I will hold up my hand and say I work agency for £8.50/hr. It’s ■■■■ pay, but there’s not many agencies round here, and limited options. When I’ve got 6 months experience, I’ll be looking for a permanent job and not taking less than £10.

Also, crack a smile once in a while, you miserable gits.

There is hope out there if you have the right attitude. I gave up on the buses at Christmas, did my class 2 in January. Did some pallet limping on class 2, then did my class 1 in March. The agency I was limping for got me on a temp to perm class 2 pallet gig driving a 26 ton rigid with the possibility of doing some class 1 day trunks to the hub. I did 2 weeks of rigid, getting on with it and working hard then the gaffer said “you have a class 1 dont you? how do you fancy taking the little urban trailer out for a go from Monday?” Hell yeah!!! That was 10 weeks ago, been on the local multi drop with the urban, done some trunking to the hub and our other depot in wales with a double deck trailer and loving it. I lost my limp and Lidl carrier bag as of Friday and start permanent from Monday morning :smiley: (note to self, buy holdall for sandwiches :laughing: :laughing: )

Most days start 7am done by 7pm latest as the night trunk guy needs my unit. Monday to Friday with the occasional Saturday morning run to the hub and a couple of van/7.5t deliveries. Small company, great people, a manager that you can reason with, as far as routing goes (i know the area a lot better than him and there is a lot of “dont you think going b c a d is better than a b c d” ) And the money is more than reasonable, lets just say we are nicely into double figures :wink:

I can understand where the Beaver is coming from and am not so naive as to think just because I landed a decent gig the garden is full of roses. It isnt, I count myself very lucky to have walked into something that really suits me and have a gaffer that was willing to give me a shot, I am also aware that I worked really hard and had the right attitude from the start that made me stand out.

It does make me sad to see so many good, enthusiastic drivers getting disheartened with the way the industry is going, its been the going down hill on the buses for years too. I cant really see the bottom of the well but it cant be far off, class 1 gigs on a few pence more than minimum wage■■? I knew this when I got into it and took the gamble, driving is pretty much all I know and where else can a guy with no qualifications earn 30k+ a year?

Anyhoo, good luck in whatever you decide to do next Mr Beaver and until these driver-less wagons come in, see some of you guys on the road :sunglasses:

So I am fairly new to the driving game. Past Class 2 last September. When I initially decided I would enjoy driving for a living I thought I’ll get my class 1 before I do any driving as class 2 didn’t appeal to me. I have 3 uncles who are drivers, 1 of which is class 1.

I didn’t count on the ridiculous cost involved to start with nor making silly little ■■■■ ups on tests that pose no danger to anyone being a fail.

I work with/manage a few lads who drive class 1 on the side. So i thought I’d do a bit of agency work to gain experience on my day off on class 2 and earn some money towards class 1. My word what a nightmare. Tipping cages into shops and then unloading the cages, ignorant fat ■■■■■■■ shopkeepers that think they have made it as they run a corner shop/petrol station standing there watching you. Loved the driving but ■■■■ that for a game of soldiers. Its actually put me off for the time being until I get my class 1.

But even then when I get that I think I will continue to ‘play’ at being a trucker on my day off rather than go full time as the pay genuinely is shocking, particularly for a new driver.

As EagerBeaver said get a job and experience where you can be careful and treat everyone as you want to be treated BUT good money paid for your license and good money should be earned for a good fair days work
I know there is a massive gap in what is paid for a days work and what is expected to be done to earn it.
As has been said there is a load of older experienced drivers leaving for the reason that the difference in the job now and when they passed doesn’t make the job worthwhile nowadays ( more traffic/tossers on the road,office staff who treat drivers like beaten mules,public who hate lorrys until they run out of stuff they actually need).
Last Tuesday was my last shift driving artics after 17 years,was all I wanted to do from school so did it lived the dream which turned into a nightmare.i took stock and thought yes I love driving but the crap that goes with it isn’t worth it not any more,yes I will miss it but 3am starts crap roads running against the clock all day watching the time to minutes no ta very muchly.

Aside from retiring drivers I wonder if brexit will affect the numbers or EU residents who choose to live and work as truckers here in the UK. Might a gap appear if many choose to leave the UK.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Aside from retiring drivers I wonder if brexit will affect the numbers or EU residents who choose to live and work as truckers here in the UK. Might a gap appear if many choose to leave the UK.

Whats more likely to push them out is the drop in the pound. I had a polish lorry driver as a lodger back before the crash in 08. Once it happened the money he sent home wasnt worth being away from the family

kcrussell25:

IronEddie:

Whats more likely to push them out is the drop in the pound. I had a polish lorry driver as a lodger back before the crash in 08. Once it happened the money he sent home wasnt worth being away from the family

And I thought they were for the nice weather and the banter.