Getting work with grandfather rights - possible or not?

I’ve passed my class 2 earlier this week and read that I would have grandfather rights with regards to the cpc aspect of things. However every agency I’ve spoken to so far has said that I would need my cpc before any of them consider me.

Is it me who was being naive and thinking it would be ok or am I talking to the people who aren’t aware of this?

The nearest venue for cpc isnt running a course for a month or so.

I haven’t got any grand-kids,
but I think you are being naive, unless you fall under an exemption you WILL need your Drivers CPC

I got my licence in 97 and had c1e from before

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You have the entitlement but will still need cpc to drive for hire or reward.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
You have the entitlement but will still need cpc to drive for hire or reward.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks. It was beginning to knaw at me that surely they all can’t be wrong and if so it’s me.

■■■■■■■■. I’m sure the missus will be delighted lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grandfather rights only lasted for 5 years from when the DCPC started, for goods vehicle drivers the DCPC started in 2009 so your grandfather rights ran out in September 2014.

To get your first DQC in your circumstances you have a choice -

Mod 2 theory + mod 4 practical TESTS
OR
35 hours of ATTENDANCE training

No DQC no work for most commercial LGV driving

Yep, sorry, you need to get your CPC. I have just come back to driving after doing a different job for a number of years. Did a 5 day course, card came through a week later. Good news is that I then got work easily, and have been kept busy since.
Good luck.

It’s too late for the OP but this might help others in a similar situation. Choose a trainer who has the practical driving course approved for driver cpc and you’ll get anything between 7 and 28 hours credit towards your 35. And then the same again for CE upgrade.

Also worth noting that, regardless of grandfather rights or not, anyone with a current driver cpc expiring within the next 5 years can get CE time credited. Check with your trainer or you’re missing out.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Apologies for not starting my own thread but it seems related to the OP.

So… I left driving 8 and a bit years ago, (pre CPC), to do something completely different… but have a question…

I moved house recently and therefore had to change the address on my driving licence. When my new licence arrived, it had no Class C category. (Which I passed in 2004 I think.) Anyway, as I left the industry prior to CPC coming in, I guess this is why it has been removed. But, if I wanted to drive Class C again, as well as doing the CPC, would I also have to take the practical test again? or, do I do the medical and the CPC, then fill in a form to get my previous entitlement restored■■?

Apogee:
Apologies for not starting my own thread but it seems related to the OP.

So… I left driving 8 and a bit years ago, (pre CPC), to do something completely different… but have a question…

I moved house recently and therefore had to change the address on my driving licence. When my new licence arrived, it had no Class C category. (Which I passed in 2004 I think.) Anyway, as I left the industry prior to CPC coming in, I guess this is why it has been removed. But, if I wanted to drive Class C again, as well as doing the CPC, would I also have to take the practical test again? or, do I do the medical and the CPC, then fill in a form to get my previous entitlement restored■■?

To renew your HGV entitlement you just have to do the HGV medical, generally to drive commercially you will need to have a DQC and to obtain that you will need to do either 35 hours periodic training or mods 2 and 4 of the initial driver CPC.

The short answer is, no you will not need to do the practical driving test again.

tachograph:
To renew your HGV entitlement you just have to do the HGV medical, generally to drive commercially you will need to have a DQC and to obtain that you will need to do either 35 hours periodic training or mods 2 and 4 of the initial driver CPC.

The short answer is, no you will not need to do the practical driving test again.

Great! Thanks for that, appreciated.

Apogee:

tachograph:

Great! Thanks for that, appreciated.

This is the route I’m taking although it’s 20 years since I passed my CE test. I did my medical first, passed my CPC module 2 test last Thursday and I’m going to a training centre tomorrow to see about my mod 4. I’m under no illusion that I will need plenty of refresher training too. 20 years is a long time!!