Checking Air Brakes

Hi

Passed my C 7 years ago and C+E 5 years ago and have got a temporary job. They usually make us wait 2 years, I though I’d make them wait 7 for me :laughing:

Anyway I’ve been brushing up on hours and walkaround checks but there is something I’m a bit unsure about. Namely air brakes.

I get the general process. Pump air brakes until you’ve emptied tank. Turn engine on and blip the accelerator to fill the tanks. Check gauges when full turn off engine and walk around looking for air leaks.

There is a couple of things I’m unsure about:

I] do you do this every shift or is that unnecessary?

II] all I can find is American websites about air brakes so I’m getting confused with all the stuff they have to do over there, apparently you cant drive a school bus without doing a test on air brakes, seems a bit over the top.

III] I’ve watched a video of the module 4 test and it talks about walking around with engine off. Then goes on to say have someone help you or use something to wedge against brake pedal. Now what are you looking for when you press the pedal down which you could not do with walking around the vehicle? I thought this help/wedging business was more to do with checking the brake lights.

Thanks.

Might have some more silly ones before I start the job. :laughing:

If using the same vehicle every day then I used to do it once a week

Newbie777:
]III] I’ve watched a video of the module 4 test and it talks about walking around with engine off. Then goes on to say have someone help you or use something to wedge against brake pedal. Now what are you looking for when you press the pedal down which you could not do with walking around the vehicle? I thought this help/wedging business was more to do with checking the brake light

Im guessing air leaks will be easier to hear if the foot pedal is pressed continuously,

Newbie777:
] do you do this every shift or is that unnecessary?

I test brakes twice a week unless i get put in different vehicle

All I do is listen for air leaks on the walk around checks, then when I’m in the cab I simply check the air tanks have pressure and the brakes work. I have never been taught anything more complicated, and never asked to do anything more on any assessments I have ever been on. The companies I have done agency work for are all pretty hot on compliance and doing things by the book, so I don’t imagine they’re missing anything.

Question 111.
Some tractor units don’t supply air to the trailer brakes when the parking brake is applied, so to check for air leaks in the trailer under brake pressure you need to apply some pressure to the brake pedal.

Once a week mine gets a check, unless as stated I get a different unit / trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk