Palmer and Harvey Fareham

Hello guys, I am new on this fourm but was curious to see if anyone knows of this company.
I have been offered a job and accepted (Which when I have just passed my test, is can be very difficult to find work but was quite surpirsed they offered it) and was wondering if anyone has had experience of have heard about any good or bad points about the work. I know it is quite physical as they warned me about it at my interview but was wondering if there was anything else to be prepared for?

Stores in stupid places and some are pretty tight.

Parking can be restricted.

Some Shop keepers being a pain in the ■■■■ but others will help or let you take a free drink or even make you a drink.

Access to shops could bee restricted so you’ll have to handball from cage to door to drop.

It’s very physical.

Cages are crap wear gloves to protect your hands.

Be prepared for abuse for blocking roads lol

10h shifts are a dream it’s more like 12-15 ( Area dependent)

Early starts though I’ve heard they’ve got Morrisons now which is a later run.

Could be mugged for the cigs you carry. Never happened to me but heard of other instances.

Hope you live close to the depot for your own sake. Use it as experience or to pay for your class 1 licence.

Tbh if I lived closer I’d most likely still be there now lol.

Had to reverse up off road and behind the truck is a wall taken out with a 20ft drop and like you I was new pass at the time. 1st time I left it there and unloaded truck. 2nd time I reversed it around the drop to where I needed to be.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:

Some Shop keepers being a pain in the ■■■■ but others will help or let you take a free drink or even make you a drink.

Access to shops could bee restricted so you’ll have to handball from cage to door to drop.

It’s very physical.

Could be mugged for the cigs you carry. Never happened to me but heard of other instances.

Hope you live close to the depot for your own sake. Use it as experience or to pay for your class 1 licence.

Had to reverse up off road and behind the truck is a wall taken out with a 20ft drop and like you I was new pass at the time. 1st time I left it there and unloaded truck. 2nd time I reversed it around the drop to where I needed to be.

Ouch, well thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile: as you say, it’s for experience and my class 1 which I will probably get within the next year or so. I live about 30 miles away from the depot (Christchurch, Dorset) and I currently work at sainsburys as a warehouse assistant so was aware they carried high value items, so was a bit worried about that.

That must of been a rather terrifying reverse. :open_mouth:

I do some work at there Kent depots. They have just changed to 4*12 hour shifts and are really struggling to make deliveries at the moment.

Lorries are loaded to the max with ambient cages full of drinks weighing in the region of 350kg. Drag 20 of these across petrol forecourts and then unloading them means you’re easily ■■■■■■■ around 6tonnes per day.

Money has just gone up but they are still struggling to recruit and keep drivers.

Don’t expect any help from shopkeepers when unloading.

Do expect things to go ‘missing’ when you are unloading at costcutters stores

hard graft but a good place to learn the trade.

They currently deliver to:
Esso
Shell
Morrisons petrol stations
Sainsbury’s petrol stations
Tesco express
Costcutters

Nerodio:

JaxDemon:

It’s very physical.

Ouch, well thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile: as you say, it’s for experience and my class 1 which I will probably get within the next year or so. I live about 30 miles away from the depot (Christchurch, Dorset) and I currently work at sainsburys as a warehouse assistant so was aware they carried high value items, so was a bit worried about that.

That must of been a rather terrifying reverse. :open_mouth:

When ya new pass it can be scary but all about confidence tbh.

30 miles I don’t think you’ll last 2 months mate. Though if you do I’ll be the first to pat you on the back. I was doing a 45 minute drive to work and 1h 30 min back cause of roadworks and traffic lol. Killed me more then doing the work.

The drive there is a worry haha but i’ll let ya know if I ran away :stuck_out_tongue:. They do a 12 week probationary so if it isn’t working out either for me or them then it’s not much of a hassle.
What was the training like? I have 2 weeks with another driver, they said but I get a feeling if they are really struggling for drivers I wouldn’t be surprised if they shorten this time. The wage is good, its £11.34 an hour so its gone up to a pretty high rate. but I imagine its due to the shortage of drivers and high staff turnover.

30miles journey that includes M27 A31 Zb that !

blue estate:
30miles journey that includes M27 A31 Zb that !

I use the A35 to lyndhurst then go onto the M27. slightly shorter and usually not as busy :slight_smile:

Nerodio:
The drive there is a worry haha but i’ll let ya know if I ran away :stuck_out_tongue:. They do a 12 week probationary so if it isn’t working out either for me or them then it’s not much of a hassle.
What was the training like? I have 2 weeks with another driver, they said but I get a feeling if they are really struggling for drivers I wouldn’t be surprised if they shorten this time. The wage is good, its £11.34 an hour so its gone up to a pretty high rate. but I imagine its due to the shortage of drivers and high staff turnover.

The trainer I had was brilliant tbh. I got told that but they never sent me out on my own.

£11.34 that’s lower then Coventry. I think Coventry was £12.09ph. 48 week contract paying just over 28k per year. Time and half for overtime mind. I know some lads where doing over 35k a year 60h weeks.

The driving will get to you to there and back mate it did me.

JaxDemon:

Nerodio:

The trainer I had was brilliant tbh. I got told that but they never sent me out on my own.

£11.34 that’s lower then Coventry. I think Coventry was £12.09ph. 48 week contract paying just over 28k per year. Time and half for overtime mind. I know some lads where doing over 35k a year 60h weeks.

Comforting to know that :slight_smile: being a new pass that is a good thing to hear that the training will probably be good. I am sure it will, I was probably more blinded by the idea of having a steady job instead of relying on agency work, so kinda went for it and didn’t really give the driving there and back much thought, I think it will hit me but thanks for the honesty :slight_smile:

Nerodio:

JaxDemon:

Nerodio:

Comforting to know that :slight_smile: being a new pass that is a good thing to hear that the training will probably be good. I am sure it will, I was probably more blinded by the idea of having a steady job instead of relying on agency work, so kinda went for it and didn’t really give the driving there and back much thought, I think it will hit me but thanks for the honesty :slight_smile:

If you can stick it out 6 months then do so. I joined in July left in September. I did not mind the job of the hard work. It was the long hours and drive to and from work that killed me tbh. And I let a guy down who got me the job.

Have a good start and well done landing your 1st fulltime LGV job :slight_smile:

Anyway even if you run from the job after a while, other employers will see you don’t mind some graft.

By the way:
You can also use the search function on here, to find more about P&H, Bidvest. Don’t be scared when you find some really negative comments on here. Experience it yourself :wink:

Tipperdipper1:
Have a good start and well done landing your 1st fulltime LGV job :slight_smile:

Anyway even if you run from the job after a while, other employers will see you don’t mind some graft.

By the way:
You can also use the search function on here, to find more about P&H, Bidvest. Don’t be scared when you find some really negative comments on here. Experience it yourself :wink:

Thanks, will do :slight_smile: I’ll see how it goes lol :slight_smile:

JaxDemon:

Used to deliver to that shop a couple of years ago when it was a Nisa,the council stopped us reversing up the back like you have done…shop keeper was told he would have to take it through the front,shop keeper got the arse and left Nisa,unfortunately for you lot!!!

Wonder if the shop keeper made P&H aware that the council had stopped him having hgvs backing up the slope on safety grounds because the wall to the left as you look at the pic is falling apart and one day your 18/26T vehicle will cause it to collapse and when the ground gives way your vehicle will end up against the house/flats:shock:
Shop is in Walsall,nice chippy across the road from the front of the shop.

Oh I forgot. Had an agency call me up not long after I left and he said PH is one of the best things to have on your cv because employers know how hard that job is.

xichrisxi:

JaxDemon:

Used to deliver to that shop a couple of years ago when it was a Nisa,the council stopped us reversing up the back like you have done…shop keeper was told he would have to take it through the front,shop keeper got the arse and left Nisa,unfortunately for you lot!!!

Wonder if the shop keeper made P&H aware that the council had stopped him having hgvs backing up the slope on safety grounds because the wall to the left as you look at the pic if falling apart and one day your 18/26T vehicle will cause it to collapse and you vehicle will end up against the house/flats:shock:

I don’t believe they have said anything I was never told anything anyway. The wall behind it is not there a ph driver knocked it down.

JaxDemon:

xichrisxi:

JaxDemon:

Wonder if the shop keeper made P&H aware that the council had stopped him having hgvs backing up the slope on safety grounds because the wall to the left as you look at the pic if falling apart and one day your 18/26T vehicle will cause it to collapse and you vehicle will end up against the house/flats:shock:

I don’t believe they have said anything I was never told anything anyway. The wall behind it is not there a ph driver knocked it down.

Doesn’t surprise me that the shop keeper hasn’t mentioned it tbh,won’t be his fault when the slope gives way it’ll be the drivers…the council contacted Nisa and told us under no circumstances were we to reverse up the back due to the risk of it all giving way

I was at p and h for 1 day then i quit and joined bidvest only because of the money. Theres not a lot between them, bidvest maybe a little harder if you get put on pret a manger contract then its not too bad, if not you will get put on radials then your ■■■■■■. At p h i drove some ■■■■■■■■ scania automatic with a clutch. If you want know more about bidvest contact me i was there for 4 months about

Thanks for all the information guys :slight_smile: will see how it goes when I start on the 19th June haha

xichrisxi:

JaxDemon:

Wonder if the shop keeper made P&H aware that the council had stopped him having hgvs backing up the slope on safety grounds because the wall to the left as you look at the pic is falling apart and one day your 18/26T vehicle will cause it to collapse and when the ground gives way your vehicle will end up against the house/flats:shock:

Hi Chris where in walsall is it,I have an idea but not sure