Office Work & Driving

Hi, I’m after some info on driving alongside office work.
A colleague who works in the office with me has just passed his class 1. He currently works full time (8-9 hrs/day, 5am-2pm 5days/wk mon-fri), but wants to do some diving also.
Is it possible to do any driving while working these hours and if so how much legally can he do?
Hes been offered the odd (maybe 1-2 loads a week) after his office shift of a driving shift (4 hours driving approx.) on weekdays and a driving shift on Saturdays (8 hours driving) finishing at 1pm ish on sat.
He starts at 5am for his office job, so I know that weekly rest would be an issue, but he does have the option of starting later (9:30am).

Any info would be great.
Thanks

netty201:
Hi, I’m after some info on driving alongside office work.
A colleague who works in the office with me has just passed his class 1. He currently works full time (8-9 hrs/day, 5am-2pm 5days/wk mon-fri), but wants to do some diving also.
Is it possible to do any driving while working these hours and if so how much legally can he do?
Hes been offered the odd (maybe 1-2 loads a week) after his office shift of a driving shift (4 hours driving approx.) on weekdays and a driving shift on Saturdays (8 hours driving) finishing at 1pm ish on sat.
He starts at 5am for his office job, so I know that weekly rest would be an issue, but he does have the option of starting later (9:30am).

For the EU regulations the office job is counted as other work so if he starts work at 05:00 he needs to be finished no later than 20:00, this will also leave him the minimum 9 hours rest before starting the office job again at 05:00 the next day.
(Be aware that you can only have a 9 hour reduced daily rest period 3 times between weekly rest periods, other days you would need to be finished by 18:00)

In any week that you, I mean he, drives in-scope of EU regulations he will need to have a weekly rest period so if he finish on Saturday at 13:00 he would have a reduced weekly rest period, this can only be done once every second week.
(In any 2 weeks you must have at-least one regular 45 hour weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period)

If he finishes at 13:00 on Saturday and can start the office job at 10:00 every second Monday he may be able to work every Saturday, he would need to be careful about paying back the compensation for the reduced weekly rest periods on alternative weeks though.

Thanks Tachograph. I thought it may be the case.
We work for a haulage company and some of the other drivers were getting a bit narky with the idea of him working in the office and doing the odd bit of driving.

I also work full time, and I’m not as knowledgeable as tacho but I read it as…
I work 40hrs mon to Fri so can work 1 weekend day everyother week. I occasionally do bank hols as it’s a Monday and I would be working anyway. Yes you need to keep your eye on the weekly rest period good luck!

I work in office during the week, but I only do 3 days, and drive sometimes on 1 or 2 of the other 2 days, some weekend days, and some nights…
I keep a diary with me, with a log of my start & finish times, so if I get a tug, I can account for all my activities, and can demonstrate my daily & weekly rests.