Working Sunday into Monday?

Hi all, when working into sun to monday which week would it count in?

I can do 3 15 hour shifts a week and have 3 reduced 9 hour shifts, but what I’m trying to work out is when I can have them. I work quite often from sun into Mon so if I do a 15 hour shift will that counts as sun that week or the new week?
Also if the 15 hour shift from Sun in Mon counts as the previous week and I’ve done Fri sat 15 hour shifts, can I then legally do another 3 15 hour shifts in a row Mon tue wed, so would technically be 6 in a row but 2 different weeks? Same for rests can I do 6 in a row but it be 2 different weeks.

Thanks

Your 3 x 15 are between weekly rests and not in the fixed week. Driving hours are based on the fixed week Monday to Sunday.

As said you can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods, so as soon as you’ve had 24 or more hours rest you can have another 3 reduced daily rest periods before the next weekly rest period.

When calculating reduced daily rest periods the fixed week doesn’t enter into the equation.

tachograph:
As said you can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods, so as soon as you’ve had 24 or more hours rest you can have another 3 reduced daily rest periods before the next weekly rest period.

When calculating reduced daily rest periods the fixed week doesn’t enter into the equation.

Thx for the reply both of u.

Does that also go for x3 15 hour shifts?
For example this week I’m doing fri-mon thu off then Fri to tue.
So on my Fri-mon even thought it’s going through the sun Mon I can only have x3 of each until my weekly rest on thu? And then when I’m back to work on Fri it resets?

Nothing resets just because it’s a new week as in Mon 00:00, it goes by weekly rest correct?

Thanks

Jonny17291:

tachograph:

Does that also go for x3 15 hour shifts?
For example this week I’m doing fri-mon thu off then Fri to tue.
So on my Fri-mon even thought it’s going through the sun Mon I can only have x3 of each until my weekly rest on thu? And then when I’m back to work on Fri it resets?

Nothing resets just because it’s a new week as in Mon 00:00, it goes by weekly rest correct?

There are no 15 hour shifts AND reduced daily rest periods, the 15 hour shifts are a result of having reduced daily rest periods.

You can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods.

A daily rest period must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift, that means that if you’re having a regular 11 hour daily rest period the maximum shift length can be 13 hours (13 hours shift + 11 hours rest = 24 hours from the start of the shift).

If your shift is more than 13 hours you will not be able to have an 11 hour rest period within the 24 hour period so you will be having a reduced daily rest period.

The maximum length of the shift is dictated by how many hours rest you must have within the period of 24 hours.

If you do a 15 hour shift then have 11 hours rest it’s still a reduced daily rest period, that’s because if you do a 15 hour shift only 9 of the 11 hours rest will fall within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift (15 + 9 = 24), the other 2 hours rest don’t count towards the daily rest period because they don’t fall within the 24 hour period.

Oh ok I was under the impression you could do a 15 hour shift and start work 2 hours later to make it 11 hours so u would be still OK for rest periods. (so many drivers have this confused as that’s what many have told me, and what you have said)

Sorry to ask again, so I could technically do say Mon tue wed 15hr shifts have thu off and then do Fri sat sun 15 hour shifts again right?

I myself have also had a 9hr rest yesterday, so that would also count as one of my 15 hour shifts right?
I worked Fri 15:30-04:00 and then started sat at 13:00-12:15.
Thanks

Jonny17291:
Oh ok I was under the impression you could do a 15 hour shift and start work 2 hours later to make it 11 hours so u would be still OK for rest periods. (so many drivers have this confused as that’s what many have told me, and what you have said)

I’m not sure if I’m understanding you but I can assure you I’ve never said to anyone that they can do a 15 hour shift then start 2 hours later to make up a regular 11 hour daily rest period.

Jonny17291:
Sorry to ask again, so I could technically do say Mon tue wed 15hr shifts have thu off and then do Fri sat sun 15 hour shifts again right?

Yes you could do 15 hours shifts (reduced daily rest periods) on Monday Tuesday and Wedesday then have 24 or more hours rest on Thursday before doing another three 15 hours shifts (reduced daily rest periods)

The three reduced daily rest periods are reset after a regular weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest perod.

Jonny17291:
I myself have also had a 9hr rest yesterday, so that would also count as one of my 15 hour shifts right?

It would count as one of your three reduced daily rest periods if that’s what you mean, if your shift is more than 13 hours it will result in a reduced daily rest period OR if you have less than 11 hours rest it’s a reduced daily rest period.

I really would get into the habit of thinking of reduced daily rest periods rather than 13 or 15 hour shifts, it will save you a lot of confusion in the long run, nowhere in the regulations does it mention 13 or 15 hours shifts, the regulations only mention regular or reduced daily rest periods.

The legal maximum allowed length of shift is derived entirely from the legally required daily rest period within the period of 24 hours.

tachograph:
The legal maximum allowed length of shift is derived entirely from the legally required daily rest period within the period of 24 hours.

The 24 hour clock starts when the new shift starts after the end of the last daily/weekly rest period

Thanks for all the answers, was a great help. Understand it now fine :slight_smile:

Jonny17291:
Thanks for all the answers, was a great help. Understand it now fine :slight_smile:

Well I still get confused now when shift hopping all of the time. You have WTD as well as driving times then there are the grey areas of reduced daily rests traffic jam situations, printouts to explain yourself, no parking facilities in some areas so keep going till you can safely stop pay back times etc etc, its near on bloody impossible not to get any infringements nowadays, well done for understanding it all so quickly.