Class 1 Jobs

Is the salary going down. I live in Norfolk and have been doing class 2 driving for a good salary pushing and pulling trollies. I always wanted to eventually get a class 1 job with bulk tippers as I have experience with bulkers in my previous job. Had a job offer from local feed company £22 000 for 40 hr week, overtime on basic rate after 40 hrs. Overtime can’t be guaranteed. New driver employees must go on new contract different to their other drivers who have been there a while and refuse the new contract. Saw a chap at foulgers a while ago offering £9.20 with overtime rate after 40 hours. I see they are now advertising for class 1 driver £8.20 an hour.
I contacted a local family business advertising for a class 1 driver. They offer £8.00 an hour going to £12 after 40 hrs.
That does not seem a very good salary to me after paying for all the training and cpc. It seems the only way to make the money is to be doing 60 hr weeks.

Put it in to context, they want the national living wage to be £9 an hour by 2020, driving an artic should command a fair bit more than that with the responsibility/training involved. The trouble is in this industry there’s no unionisation of the workers, and those that work for less erode the terms for everyone.

There’s a reason London tube drivers command a salary of 50K, because they have a strong union behind them.

i think the problem is where you live as well, there seems to be a big difference in regional pay structures.

I agree as I know that class 2 drivers working for the same company get a better wage working south than we do in Norfolk/Suffolk area.
I still would have thought Class 1 work taking in to account the training and responsibility would be worth a bit more than £8 an hour. I will keep at the class 2 job as better money for now.

Basilpot:
I agree as I know that class 2 drivers working for the same company get a better wage working south than we do in Norfolk/Suffolk area.
I still would have thought Class 1 work taking in to account the training and responsibility would be worth a bit more than £8 an hour. I will keep at the class 2 job as better money for now.

at £8 hour I’ll keep my class 2 job as well I’m getting £8.51