New Driver (Reversing Issues)

Good evening,

I am just really looking for advice as I am a newly qualifies driver. I passed my Class 2 a year and a half ago with all the intention to start some Class 2 work, although I didn’t realise how difficult it was going to be with agencies wanting a minimum of 6 months experience. A few agencies advised me that it’s better to have a Class 1 as they can take you on into Class 2 work to get further loading/road experience.

Once I passed my Class 1 I was then struggling for occasional weekend work, mainly due to my full time role in the week (office job). So it has now been a year and I haven’t really driven, to the point now where I am nervous to take out a Class 1 vehicle as I don’t know what to expect at RDC’s/sites. I have watched a few videos on the internet and TBH some of the bays look really tight.

I passed my Class 1 first time so I thought I wouldn’t have any issues, but after driving in the yard where I currently work it’s not as easy as I first thought. I didn’t know if it was worth maybe taking some extra training/refresher course or just jumping in at the deep end and having to ask if I get stuck.

Many thanks

Izzy7172

Hi there.i passed my c+e last nov and due to cpc ■■■■ ups i couldnt drive until recently.i had a drive assesment and to be honest took it nice n easy.
I passed it and start training next week.all i can say is (and i may be wrong) but deep end.n take it slow n steady there no shame in asking for a bit of help or advice.and on the job is where we all learn

Daveeck:
Hi there.i passed my c+e last nov and due to cpc ■■■■ ups i couldnt drive until recently.i had a drive assesment and to be honest took it nice n easy.
I passed it and start training next week.all i can say is (and i may be wrong) but deep end.n take it slow n steady there no shame in asking for a bit of help or advice.and on the job is where we all learn

Hi,

Many thanks for replying to me. I think it just seems very overwhelming that you can pass a C+E in four days, but you don’t really get any proper experience till you go out by yourself. I’m lucky enough to work for a company where they have let me have a go in the yard, not many people have that opportunity. I think I will contact the agency and just see if they have a decent first run so I can get used to it all, and hopefully don’t run into any issues.

Best advice I can give (from someone who has only been doing artics for a few weeks) Take your time, no prizes for getting on a bay faster than Bolt does the 100.
Get out and check if your not sure, better to look and have acres of space than bend something.
Set up is important, if you can get lined up as straight as possible before hitting the revese button it makes it so much easier.
Its not bad form to take another bite, shunt as much as you need, its making the desiscion to take another go early enough before you get yourself into a complete mess thats the key.
Ignore everyone else, they really arent interested in how many shunts you are taking or how much of a mess you are making of it, even though it feels like the whole loading bay is watching and marking you out of 10.
It gets easier, but you will still have the occaisional brain ■■■■ (1st thing I ever drove was a tractor/trailer on the farm when I was 11 and I still get times when I cant remember which way to turn the wheel)
Most drivers will watch you back if you ask them and sometimes will ask you if you need a hand. Judging by the “Izzy” user name (short for Isabel?) they will be falling over themselves to help a damsel in distress :wink:

Hiya.
Just a thought if your company is good enough to let you have a go in the yard ask them if you can take 1 out on the road with 1 of their drivers?.
Then your out on the road getting experience with someone to help better than out on your own,that said first time out on your own is a mix of wtf have I let myself in for and excitement.
Got let loose first at Bhs " right keys paperwork map off you go" into Chester on a rainy Friday night had to reverse up the slope of tesco car park with everyone trying to get out then blind it up another slope between 2 buildings it was " interesting" forgot how many times I got out but did it and its experience.

Eurotruck simulator worked for me with a steering wheel a lot harder than in real life. A few things
to make things easier. get the truck as straight as possible on approach. Try to avoid reversing when possible. Use your left hand if you are right handed. Don’t bother for example service stations when parking up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob96:
Eurotruck simulator worked for me with a steering wheel a lot harder than in real life. A few things
to make things easier. get the truck as straight as possible on approach. Try to avoid reversing when possible. Use your left hand if you are right handed. Don’t bother for example service stations when parking up

“Try to avoid reversing where possible” now when the OP asks for reversing advice does it seem a good idea to say avoid reversing? Trying to master reversing artics is something that can only be done by doing it not running away from it.

Daytrunker:

bob96:

“Try to avoid reversing where possible” now when the OP asks for reversing advice does it seem a good idea to say avoid reversing? Trying to master reversing artics is something that can only be done by doing it not running away from it.

:open_mouth: +1 Jeff. DO NOT shy away from reversing. And as for motorway service area’s, what are you going to do if you need a break when you are on the motorway? :unamused: Some MSA’s are harder than others to reverse into a spot, but mastering reversing is an ESSENTIAL part of driving a class 1.

Space and speed are your friends whilst learning. Use as much space as you can and keep the speed very slow. You will be surprised at how quickly your reversing will improve if you stick to this approach.

Best time of year to hone your reversing skills mate, make the most of every opportunity you get to do it. Lighter mornings and evenings make it much easier than when the days draw in so make the most of it. Do it in your own time, it’s not a competition and don’t get caught up in that mentality that to prove yourself on class 1 you have to reverse at top speed in one hit. Seen so called ‘veterans’ try that to impress other drivers supping coffee looking through the canteen window at some tips and it hasn’t always panned out the way they thought it would.

There is no real substitute for experience. The more you reverse, the more practice you get, and the more you learn the ‘feel’ of the truck. Only with experience can you learn to gauge when the reverse is starting to go out of shape, and what inputs you need to correct it (steering, brakes, taking a shunt, and combinations thereof).

Until you’ve had practice, you will struggle to recognise when it is going wrong, because you won’t know what correct looks like.

Take every opportunity to have a go at reversing, especially when you can do so safely. Your home yard or MSA with a few vacant spaces is ideal, as the pressure is at its least.

Don’t worry who is watching or what they’re thinking. We honestly don’t care about you and your demons or gremlins, and we’re not watching or judging you really. Those of us who remember our early days are probably just full of sympathy for your plight, and we might even try to lend you a helping hand if you need it.

I was being blocked from exiting an RDC at the weekend by a driver who was struggling to reverse onto a bay. I realised he was a left ■■■■■■ and was doing a nightmare blindside (for him), so I immediately got out and went to help guide him in. The big smile, thumbs up and wave of thanks when we’d finished was heartwarming. :slight_smile:

bob96:

Just a quick 1 then if your not supposed to try at MSA’s better avoid Knutsford south and Northampton MSA then,knutsford is a pita when its full and lads fuelling up,been there when 2 trucks have been good enough to pull their mirrors in or I wouldn’t have parked that’s how close it gets sometimes,but if you don’t try you never will.took 10 mins thanking the lads either side because that’s what it’s all about.

Northampton services :open_mouth: About a dozen parking spaces or so.

Last time I went to Swan valley I called in there. 1 space left (blindside) :laughing:

Fuzrat:
Best advice I can give (from someone who has only been doing artics for a few weeks) Take your time, no prizes for getting on a bay faster than Bolt does the 100.
Get out and check if your not sure, better to look and have acres of space than bend something.
Set up is important, if you can get lined up as straight as possible before hitting the revese button it makes it so much easier.
Its not bad form to take another bite, shunt as much as you need, its making the desiscion to take another go early enough before you get yourself into a complete mess thats the key.
Ignore everyone else, they really arent interested in how many shunts you are taking or how much of a mess you are making of it, even though it feels like the whole loading bay is watching and marking you out of 10.
It gets easier, but you will still have the occaisional brain ■■■■ (1st thing I ever drove was a tractor/trailer on the farm when I was 11 and I still get times when I cant remember which way to turn the wheel)
Most drivers will watch you back if you ask them and sometimes will ask you if you need a hand. Judging by the “Izzy” user name (short for Isabel?) they will be falling over themselves to help a damsel in distress :wink:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to give a few agencies a call later today, so hopefully might get a run in at the weekend. Once I have done it a couple of times hopefully it will become easier.

Izzy7172

Daytrunker:
Hiya.
Just a thought if your company is good enough to let you have a go in the yard ask them if you can take 1 out on the road with 1 of their drivers?.
Then your out on the road getting experience with someone to help better than out on your own,that said first time out on your own is a mix of wtf have I let myself in for and excitement.
Got let loose first at Bhs " right keys paperwork map off you go" into Chester on a rainy Friday night had to reverse up the slope of tesco car park with everyone trying to get out then blind it up another slope between 2 buildings it was " interesting" forgot how many times I got out but did it and its experience.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have suggested if I can do a local run with one of the drivers, the weekend routes are normally early hours so it just depends what shift I am on the day before. I have looked into extra training with an instructor, but I can’t really afford it at the moment.

Izzy7172

bob96:

It’s funny you should say that regarding the simulator. I have it installed on my PC and must admit it does give you a good idea on reversing. I think what did me was I was quite confident as I passed my test and had a couple of hours practice with no issues, then when I tried it the last time I just couldn’t get it right. It might have just been an off day, but wouldn’t be ideal if it happened when I got to a depot. I have a list of agencies to call later so will give it a try.

Izzy7172

andy_s:
Best time of year to hone your reversing skills mate, make the most of every opportunity you get to do it. Lighter mornings and evenings make it much easier than when the days draw in so make the most of it. Do it in your own time, it’s not a competition and don’t get caught up in that mentality that to prove yourself on class 1 you have to reverse at top speed in one hit. Seen so called ‘veterans’ try that to impress other drivers supping coffee looking through the canteen window at some tips and it hasn’t always panned out the way they thought it would.

Thanks Andy. Yeah, now with the weather warming up as well I think it’s a good time to give it a try. I think TBH once I have done a few hours on the road and have a couple of completed routes under my belt then I should be OK.

Izzy7172

ORC:
There is no real substitute for experience. The more you reverse, the more practice you get, and the more you learn the ‘feel’ of the truck. Only with experience can you learn to gauge when the reverse is starting to go out of shape, and what inputs you need to correct it (steering, brakes, taking a shunt, and combinations thereof).

Until you’ve had practice, you will struggle to recognise when it is going wrong, because you won’t know what correct looks like.

Take every opportunity to have a go at reversing, especially when you can do so safely. Your home yard or MSA with a few vacant spaces is ideal, as the pressure is at its least.

Don’t worry who is watching or what they’re thinking. We honestly don’t care about you and your demons or gremlins, and we’re not watching or judging you really. Those of us who remember our early days are probably just full of sympathy for your plight, and we might even try to lend you a helping hand if you need it.

I was being blocked from exiting an RDC at the weekend by a driver who was struggling to reverse onto a bay. I realised he was a left ■■■■■■ and was doing a nightmare blindside (for him), so I immediately got out and went to help guide him in. The big smile, thumbs up and wave of thanks when we’d finished was heartwarming. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right with the not knowing how to put it right. When I did my test I think learnt the reversing more by knowing how many times to turn the wheel, and just to adjust it if I went off slightly. Then when I tried it where I work I was then trying to reverse in the shape of an L (round a corner onto a bay), but with not doing it before I didn’t know how far I should be from the bays, or if I should try and straighten it up as best I can before backing onto the bay.

Izzy7172

It soon drops and all of a sudden gets a whole lot easier. I’ve only been on artics since jan but already more then comfortable with them and really happy with my reversing etc. Good luck [emoji846]

UselessForce:
It soon drops and all of a sudden gets a whole lot easier. I’ve only been on artics since jan but already more then comfortable with them and really happy with my reversing etc. Good luck [emoji846]

Thanks. I have been on the phone today with some agencies so hopefully will be starting maybe this/or next weekend. Did you drive Class 2 first or jump straight onto the arctics? I would be happy with Class 2, but don’t want to get used to it and then stay on them.

Izzy7172

Hi Izzy
Class 2 or class 1 first gig? Class 1 without a doubt,reason being that’s what you want to do (like most on here),class 2 will teach you out on your own how to drive and reverse then have to try and forget it to re learn class 1,(if you see me try to reverse a class 2 after 6months on class 1 its a You’ve been framed moment lol :confused: ".
Look on class 2 as something you had to do to get your artic license so class 1 straight off in my opinion.
As for reversing onto bays there is no rule when to get straight,earlier is better as its easier but it takes as long as it takes,above all ASK for help better than hitting something

Hope this helps

jeff.