Am I legal?

Think I am but want to put the mind at rest. Started this morning at 07.00 loaded the trailer and did my morning run. TM told me my unit needed a 6 weekly inspection and was booked into the truck garage next door to my last drop (good planning that one) Had a 15 min (actually closer to 25) WTD break about half 10 as I was parked up waiting for a timed delivery and wasnt sure if I would tip all my morning drops by 13.00. As it happens I arrived at the workshop and dropped my trailer by 12.51.

Now for the bit Im not sure about, I “think” I did it right. As I was told the mechanic was going to road test my unit I put the tacho on break and took my card out whilst they were doing what they do. I was free to dispose of my time as I saw fit (walked round the corner to Maccy D’s) so wasnt a contrived rest period. When they finished I put my card back in and did a manual entry for break over the period they had my unit.

I have taken printouts and noted the reason for removing the card on the back and signed it and also noted in my diary that I keep the reason for taking the card out.

Did I do the right thing by removing my card and writing the explaination on the print out and if I get stopped will that be a valid reason for card removal? Ta.

As far as I can see - Yep.

Same as I’d have done. Wouldn’t have bothered with the printout but it won’t hurt as long as you do the manual entry.

The break is for you - not the vehicle, so as you did, pop the card and do the manual entry when getting back in.

Just so you know - for a break you don’t need to be able to “freely dispose of your time”. That’s for your rest. I.e your overnight 9 or 11 hours.

Thanks chap, Always like to CYA and am a little paranoid about getting a tug seeing as their favourite place to pounce and weighbridge is right in the middle of my patch :open_mouth:

Sounds good to me, you need the break not the vehicle.
I’ve done the same when I’ve taken vehicles for brake testing. Pop my case and do a manual entry afterwards when your card goes back in.
And I wouldn’t bother with a printout either.
Job’s a good un.

sent using smoke signals

Done perfectly :smiley:

This might not happen much, but if this happens and your on an analog chart. leave it in, and use this period that will be shown as working time as rest.

Two weeks ago dropped the truck into shop (0830) didn’t remove chart, they drove it about then put it on stands, found issue fixed it around 11:30 with repaired par.

Signed back of disk saying truck was in shop during these hours.

4 Days later, whilst waiting in Cheethim Hill, Vosa bods walk over ask to check ■■■■, spot this HUGH wtd infringenment, I say check back of disc…

tommymanc:
This might not happen much, but if this happens and your on an analog chart. leave it in, and use this period that will be shown as working time as rest.

Two weeks ago dropped the truck into shop (0830) didn’t remove chart, they drove it about then put it on stands, found issue fixed it around 11:30 with repaired par.

Signed back of disk saying truck was in shop during these hours.

4 Days later, whilst waiting in Cheethim Hill, Vosa bods walk over ask to check [zb], spot this HUGH wtd infringenment, I say check back of disc…

If in shop then removing the chart or card is the correct procedure as they are to record what you are doing not the truck
Manual entries must be done to cover that period

I’d of just removed card and upon reinserting manual entried a break for the period it was out. Sorted, wouldn’t of bothered with printout etc [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said you was right to take the card out but there’s no need for printouts unless it’s for your own piece of mind, you’re right to keep a record of the event in a notebook just in case it’s queried at a road-side check, especially as the vehicle will have some movement showing in the VU record.

As far as the analogue tachograph is concerned, again the correct procedure is to take the chart out and write a manual entry on the back of it to show what you was doing, and preferably an explanation of why the card was removed for a while.

Cheers guys, read so many stories about drivers pulling the card for nefarious reasons Vosa must read them too. The cynic in me thinks if they see a pulled card they automatically think that this guys pulled a fast one :smiling_imp: Belt and braces with print out :slight_smile: