New Driver, Needs Advise

Good Evening,

I’m currently doing my class 2 driver training with a view to progressing to class 1. The problem is that currently have an unspent criminal conviction which resulted in a 2 month prison sentence.
A friend of mine who owns a wood mill is looking for a driver and has tried to add me to his insurance but was unable to do so because of my conviction.
Is this going to be the case with all companies or will i actually be able to get a job when I’ve finished my training.
Does anyone else know anyone who has made a mistake which resulted in a criminal conviction and still drives HGV class 1 or 2.

Thank you all in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Ash

ash2k1uk:
Good Evening,

I’m currently doing my class 2 driver training with a view to progressing to class 1. The problem is that currently have an unspent criminal conviction which resulted in a 2 month prison sentence.
A friend of mine who owns a wood mill is looking for a driver and has tried to add me to his insurance but was unable to do so because of my conviction.
Is this going to be the case with all companies or will i actually be able to get a job when I’ve finished my training.
Does anyone else know anyone who has made a mistake which resulted in a criminal conviction and still drives HGV class 1 or 2.

Thank you all in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Ash

I would say its very subjective. In terms of the employer it would probably depend on the crime itself, and whether or not it would affect your suitability to the job in question. For example, what type of customers will you be coming in contact with, and are you likely to be able to deal with any possible high-stress situations responsibly and so on. I would assume some companies will have a no-tolerance policy for criminal records hence the back ground check. Your best bet might be to approach a smaller firm in hope of finding a sympathetic boss who will give you an opportunity. The fact that you will be a new driver with no experience wont help either tbh.
As its an unspent conviction I believe you’ll have to disclose it to both: potential employers, and to any Insurance companies…How it affects insurance, id be guessing- I would expect it to be substantially more expensive though.

Have you tried phoning firms to ask their viewpoint on the matter before continuing with training? Might be an idea mate.

Hope you get a chance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what was the prison offence for…smacking a previous boss? :laughing:

As mentioned above, the pesky insurance companies actually have the final say if you get hired or not. I reckon because its unspent and it may be for something that actually makes you uninsurable.

Good Morning,

Thank you for you’re replies.

I’ve looked on some comparison websites and all its asks for as regards insurance is motoring convictions and not criminal conviction.

It wasn’t violent or ■■■■■■ in nature so there is not threat to the public.

Thank you

Not every company will ask or check

Agencies ask on their forms if you have a record. Not every agency will check ( very few if any do ) ( so i hear )

Some folk dont declare it and get on just fine