Which truck? (Class 2)

If you had a choice of truck what would you have?

I’m just throwing this out there & wondered if you could have any truck what would you pick & why?

Volvo.

Doubt I’d even look at anything else…

Not sure about Class 2, but Volvo is class all by itself. If the Volvo FH class 1 unit translates to anything even half as decent in class 2 it is going to be hard to beat.

New Actros with a stream space cab

For pure driving, either a Volvo FH or a Premium. The Premium I reckon was nicer to drive. The box was snappier even more than the Volvo I have now.

Renault generally have the nicer trucks to drive in my experience.

Company I work for now have epically old trucks from iveco, Dennis, mitsubishi …there horrible to drive

Volvo or Renault… Class 1 or Class 2… Very hard to beat in my opinion [emoji846][emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve run Iveco for the last 20+ years. Simple and reliable - just whats needed for training. Also had a dabble with MAN tractor units and found those to be excellent as well. Having had a small issue with the sales department at Iveco, I now have two new Renaults on order which will arrive late summer. Don’t really know much about them except that running gear is Volvo. So I’ll form an opinion when we’ve had them a while.

I don’t think there’s any really bad trucks anymore. Just that some are possibly better than others.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’d have to put auto TGX at the bottom Pete. I hate them with a passion as the auto box is pants in my opinion although I have learnt to live with it now [emoji23] love it when I get one of the range t as I find that an absolute pleasure to work with. [emoji846]

In my opinion the Premium is the best truck to give a newbie driver. It has the best auto box, yes it may be Volvo made but whatever software the French use makes it a touch better than Volvo’s own creation. It also shares the same light and precise steering. It makes manuvouring a doddle. Yes it may not be the best to live in, hell I did a year and a half in one so I should know but if you were to give me a choice between a Premium or a new Daf XF I’d pick the Premium. Plus, the mirrors on the Daf are sooo bad.

I’d have to put auto TGX at the bottom Pete.

Speak as you find, but my TGX and TGS are both very smooth and responsive. But I have heard other negative reports about them so maybe I’m lucky. Similarly, no problem with Iveco.

I test drove a Renault and that was also smooth. So time will tell if I’ve got it right.

We run Renault, from 10T up to 26T rigid and a couple of tractor units. In my albeit limited experience they are great. Driven Daf rigid, Man rigids/unit and Merc unit, the Renaults seem to have a better standard spec and a nicer drive. One thing I would change is I cant get the steering wheel how i like it in the units, unless I’m doing something wrong its either reach or tilt. I like it quite upright and close to me, problem is the further you pull it up and toward you the flatter it gets.

Ours are on contract from BRS and we havent had them from new, even so they seem to have stood up well to the punishment of being rentals and our pallet work :smiley:

Peter Smythe:

I’d have to put auto TGX at the bottom Pete.

Speak as you find, but my TGX and TGS are both very smooth and responsive. But I have heard other negative reports about them so maybe I’m lucky. Similarly, no problem with Iveco.

I test drove a Renault and that was also smooth. So time will tell if I’ve got it right.

Fair enough, glad you’ve got a couple trouble free Pete [emoji3]. Another bug bear is mine has spent most of its life with us in the workshop with coolant loss issues and had countless new radiators to solve issue but MAN Exeter just can’t seem to cure it, its “13” so not exactly new but not ancient either several other issues including clutch bearing exploding and doing lots of damage lol all 8 of our MANs seem to be really jittery and have rubbish traction on the drive axle.

Another bug bear is mine has spent most of its life with us in the workshop with coolant loss issues and had countless new radiators to solve issue but MAN Exeter just can’t seem to cure it, its “13” so not exactly new but not ancient either several other issues including clutch bearing exploding and doing lots of damage lol all 8 of our MANs seem to be really jittery and have rubbish traction on the drive axle.

Yes, I think that would colour my opinion as well!!