Instructors Please

Hi all

This is just an ask to the instructors… please please please can you teach these newbie’s when doing there C&E training to stop relying on the high on the height indicator in the cab and get out and measure the bloody highest point of tractor and trailer…I say this because these newbies are relying totally on sat navs… not reading road signs… and dont even know if there unit will fit under a bridge…

Yesterday it was a newbie in a double decker…and today it was a newbie with a container …gives the whole industry as we are not professional at all…

Dear newbies,

Please use common sense.

Does that solve your issue :question: :wink: :unamused: :laughing:

Newbies? Oldies? The common sense gene is equally distributed between us all, not all of us remember to use it, irrespective of age.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Swampey2418:
Hi all

This is just an ask to the instructors… please please please can you teach these newbie’s when doing there C&E training to stop relying on the high on the height indicator in the cab and get out and measure the bloody highest point of tractor and trailer…I say this because these newbies are relying totally on sat navs… not reading road signs… and dont even know if there unit will fit under a bridge…

Yesterday it was a newbie in a double decker…and today it was a newbie with a container …gives the whole industry as we are not professional at all…

Sorry but as an Instructor I can’t help myself.
In future all training courses will be 10 weeks long, this will allow us to tell you where every switch and dial is in every truck on the road, not to mention oil,water,screen wash and location of all other checks on every truck on the road.
If you require the tyre pressure module please allow at least 1 more week for training. :smiley: :smiley:

Chevmac is 100% correct. A trainers job is to get a candidate through the test. Would a newbee swop a test pass with no industry knowledge for a test fail with 100% knowledge.

Perhaps more than many and after 30 years training there is only 1 thing important PASS.

LGV Training is not about teaching people to drive it’s ALL about the result.

As stated it is our job to make somebody reach the correct test pass standard. Surely the problem lies with the employers not making drivers aware of protocol when carrying ‘alien’ loads/trailers.

Also think it’s a bit harsh blaming newbies… I’ve seen many seasoned pro make a complete mess of a situation through negligence and lack of road sign knowledge or even noticing a sign in the first place.

I’m sure any half decent instructor would mention in passing the importance of not relying on the height indicator and how a tape measure is an essential piece of kit.

Hopefully they would also teach the importance of using secondary speed reduction methods instead of relying on just the bloody brakes… :wink:

An optional extra day working on some advanced Roadcraft, real-world reversing and some general scenarios that can be avoided by not relying on ones sat nav could be a nice little earner…

Could even try and make it a JAUPT approved CPC practical day.

It’s already in place. Take - up rate: virtually zero.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Dipper_Dave:
I’m sure any half decent instructor would mention in passing the importance of not relying on the height indicator and how a tape measure is an essential piece of kit.

Hopefully they would also teach the importance of using secondary speed reduction methods instead of relying on just the bloody brakes… :wink:

An optional extra day working on some advanced Roadcraft, real-world reversing and some general scenarios that can be avoided by not relying on ones sat nav could be a nice little earner…

Could even try and make it a JAUPT approved CPC practical day.

I agree about the optional extra… We have mainly autos and a Manuel. I always recommend those that pass in auto should come back for a lesson in a Manuel but sadly as a cost is involved no one’s interested.

Swampey2418:
Hi all

This is an ask from an Instructor to the trainees… can you all please stop looking for training at the lowest price. We’ve got so much to teach you and in reality we really need in excess of 30 hours to get the job done right. Alternatively, if all you really want is a test pass as cheap as possible, then no problem. We can teach you the basics within a few days. But you must remember to make sure you pick up the rest yourself, deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 40+ years I’ve been instructing this has always been some sort of an issue. There is no straightforward answer. Yes, there’s plenty more to learn but, unless we know what work you’re doing, for whom and with what, it’s really guesswork as to what is needed. But we do cover a great deal of industry knowledge in the periodic cpc which many drivers will find invaluable.

We offer all candidates an introduction to Drivers’ Hours as part of the Starter Pack. This half day course comes at zero cost. So we do try.

Between my trainers we have literally hundreds of years of experience and we know most about what there is to know. But why spend time learning how to operate curtains eg when the candidate ends up on a tipper. And vice versa. The industry is extremely diverse and that’s part of it’s appeal to me. But to construct a course that will be helpful to everyone is not as easy as it might sound.

I continue to beat the drum that it’s the employer’s responsibility to carry out “on the job” or “specific” job training. Under the current system we are limited to all intents and purposes to delivering a comfortable driving test pass.

Having said that, if anyone comes along and wants additional training in any aspect, we’re happy to provide it.

The only way this is ever likely to change is if legislation is introduced enforcing a specified training duration of ■■■ hours. And then wait for the complaints!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: