ABERDEEN Newbie Needs advice

Hi all,

I have been floating about the site for months looking at getting my Class 2 as a entry point into driving i currently drive vans at work and enjoy that so next step… Money has always been the issue because i work in car retail and have ■■■■ credit. ([zb] off aboard for 3 years and did not pay my bills) I have not been able to get a loan. but a family member has offered up to 2k to get me Start and want to try and get my rigid.

I would be happy doing tipper work or any to be honest.(family in hgv artics) someday!!!

What i am looking for is anyone with experience with hgv training in aberdeenshire or morayshire as i can get there easy. i have a very restricted date/time i can sit my 5 day course and pass and if i don’t pass it would a another month before i could resit if there is even a gap to do so.

Last year i near got smashed by the hgv training firms online when i applied for a hgv trainee job in aberdeen city and they told me they had a training centre in the centre of the city lol.

The 2 companies i have found are
http://www.aberdeentrainingservices.co.uk/index.html
http://training.whytes.co.uk/

aberdeen training services i have heard good things about but everyone have their agendas. what i have done so far. and whytes are a bus company but been kicking around for a long time

sending off my provisional next week d2/d4 medical costing me 50+ licence cost (not bad) on wed.

I have not bought the hgv theory test books or dvd’s i am going asap. maybe someone here has them for sale?? ebay has the 2015 year but i thought the driver rules would be different. (passed both car and bike theories in the past)

any tips would just be welcomed.

everyone i know have been driving for 50 years so i have that to drawn from but its all the new reg and rules for new drivers they are unsure about lol

Check out the link in my signature below :smiley:

i found that link after i posted i have been reading it this afternoon while working my retail job.

thanks

I used Aberdeen Training Services - my employer used them to put me through the C training and test, then I paid for the C&E with them myself. There are cheaper options, but to my mind his training and the quality of vehicles used is worth what you pay.
Only thing is they use W&D outfit for the C&E - now this wasn’t an issue for me as I have been able to familiarise myself with other outfits in my job, but if you are wanting to train on full size artics you’d have to train elsewhere.

Ian Foote also operates in the area, have no personal experience with him but a couple of pals have used him and had no issues. He’s certainly cheaper than ATS. Don’t know what vehicles he uses for training.

Good luck with your search!

Ainslie

Thanks s much for your advice.

ATS dont have the space due to my time off. will be checking out whytes. there is cracking training centres around the uk for examples peter smythe but not every driven in that area makes me think driving local would be me the best chance

waiting on my licence coming back to book my theory seems like its taking ages.

there is cracking training centres around the uk for examples peter smythe but not every driven in that area makes me think driving local would be me the best chance

That’s a valid point - but it can also work against you as you can become complacent on familiar roads. Two sides to every coin!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do McPhearsons of Aberlour do training courses for outsiders? I often see them around Elgin … I was thinking of doing my CPC with then and then reapply to renew my class 1.

knocky:
I have not bought the hgv theory test books or dvd’s i am going asap. maybe someone here has them for sale?? ebay has the 2015 year but i thought the driver rules would be different. (passed both car and bike theories in the past)

everyone i know have been driving for 50 years so i have that to drawn from but its all the new reg and rules for new drivers they are unsure about lol

There are apps that you can get that are decent- and free. On the apple ‘App Store’ there’s an app called ‘LGV theory test and hazard perception’. From what I can remember, it was reliable and had some useful extra features such as a mock hazard perception test (touch screen video). Im unsure if the app is available for android or not.

• It might not have everything you need but it’s a good starting point*
    Also the government website is probably the best - Willing to be corrected ? - for Drivers hours.
    Link- gov.uk/drivers-hours/overview

Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CK500FH:

knocky:

There are apps that you can get that are decent- and free. On the apple ‘App Store’ there’s an app called ‘LGV theory test and hazard perception’. From what I can remember, it was reliable and had some useful extra features such as a mock hazard perception test (touch screen video). Im unsure if the app is available for android or not.

• It might not have everything you need but it’s a good starting point*
    Also the government website is probably the best - Willing to be corrected ? - for Drivers hours.
    Link- gov.uk/drivers-hours/overview

Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downloaded the app on android you have to pay do more but worth it. thanks so much

knocky:
Hi all,

I have been floating about the site for months looking at getting my Class 2 as a entry point into driving i currently drive vans at work and enjoy that so next step… Money has always been the issue because i work in car retail and have [zb] credit. ([zb] off aboard for 3 years and did not pay my bills) I have not been able to get a loan. but a family member has offered up to 2k to get me Start and want to try and get my rigid.

I would be happy doing tipper work or any to be honest.(family in hgv artics) someday!!!

What i am looking for is anyone with experience with hgv training in aberdeenshire or morayshire as i can get there easy. i have a very restricted date/time i can sit my 5 day course and pass and if i don’t pass it would a another month before i could resit if there is even a gap to do so.

Last year i near got smashed by the hgv training firms online when i applied for a hgv trainee job in aberdeen city and they told me they had a training centre in the centre of the city lol.

The 2 companies i have found are
http://www.aberdeentrainingservices.co.uk/index.html
http://training.whytes.co.uk/

aberdeen training services i have heard good things about but everyone have their agendas. what i have done so far. and whytes are a bus company but been kicking around for a long time

sending off my provisional next week d2/d4 medical costing me 50+ licence cost (not bad) on wed.

Hi Knocky,

I have used both Whytes & ATS for hgv training. I did my class 2 with Whytes. Good instuctor ( gibby was his name). I paid for all my own training. They were decent enough and I did my class 2 in the 5 days. I did try to go back to them to my class 1 but they had sold off there c+e motor due to the down turn in oil companies not using the buses so much. I also did my DCPC with whytes.

I then went to ATS ( Brian Cassie) for my class 1. Id done my car trailer licence with him a few years before so I know of Brian well. I did the same, over 4/5 days and test on the 5th day.

Both training firms were as good as each other. Whytes can be 2 students at a time , where ATS is 1 to 1.

I took the advice from Whytes, once I got my class 2 get some driving experience driving the lorry before going for the class 1. I managed to secure a adhoc position wih ARR Craib doing weekend class 2 work which helped my with understanding of driving a vehicle that size on the roads.

As to the theory work, I bought my stuff of Amazon. The dvd & the cpc booklet. I passed first time on that but have to put the work in as it 100 questions to answer.

hope this is of help and any questions just fire away.

cheers,

Euan

If you can manage it, don’t be afraid of travelling a fair distance to train. I went down to Peter Smythe’s from Edinburgh for both class 1 and class 2 residential courses. I don’t think I will ever regret that decision. Driving on roads I wasn’t used to really gave me a good starting point and ensured that I kept my head on a swivel. One-to-one tuition in a well kept fleet with great instructors was all the justification I needed to drive all that distance for training. They also have pretty good deals for trucknet members also. I couldn’t recommend them enough.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation beardofginger. Hope it’s all going well for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

SORRY I HAVE NOT REPLIED.

I went with ATS and passed my class 2 yesterday chuffed to bits. i started my training 2 weeks ago with ATS but i failed my theory and had to book a resit i did not plan on this i failed it hard. rebooked and passed with a 95. ATS went out of there way to get me ready for my test even did 5 hours at night to fit in around my work who at this point know nothing of me sitting and passing.

i have not done the CPC theory yet due to not being able to book the theory part.

SO thanks you all for the advice i need to get my cpc and find a job the hard part. let hope someone wants a inexperienced driver

:smiley: :smiley:

Congratulations!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THANKS ALL

Well done on passing your class 2

With the bypass work on going class 2 work should be easy to come by, or you could try arr craibs palletline dept, they are willing to take on newbies, hard work but it’s all experience.

congrats on getting the pass.

slowtrac:
Well done on passing your class 2

With the bypass work on going class 2 work should be easy to come by, or you could try arr craibs palletline dept, they are willing to take on newbies, hard work but it’s all experience.

I sure will be but i am struggling to get my cpc. i did not do my cpc theory and cpc as part of my test due to timing and not being able to book the theory part till the 30th. so i am sitting waiting at this point.