Do it

I just wanted to say if your thinking of becoming a truck driver do it.

I’ve just completed my first week on the job (yes I worked bank holiday Monday :grimacing: )

I’ve had a number of jobs and so far I’m enjoying this new career path. I’ve been stuck in factories, offices, and working jobs that are low paid and treated like crap.

I’m 34 and don’t have any real skills meaning like degrees college education. I don’t think your ever to old to get in to this industry although as always some might disagree. For me it started two years ago after being made redundant - twice in one year! Having a young family to support I had to really think what I wanted to do. I thought about doing my cat LGV C for sometime and thought nows as good a time as any.

I scrapped together around 3k and took a chance and went for it. After training on and off I managed to pass first time. In around 2 months of starting lessons - 3 months I think it was total with theroy cpc and all the extras.

I was stuck in a crappy factory job - literally screwing lids on pots & packing stuff in to boxes. I was on minimum wage struggling to pay the mortgage & bills. On a Saturday I was doing a bit of truck driving to help boost my pay & get experience with a dodgy agency.

On the off chance I applied for a position a stones throw from my house & got the job. I’m just dropping building supplies off. It has an Hiab but never use it as I’m forked off.

My salary has doubled :smiley: when I get out the yard I’m my own boss & as long as I’m doing what I should be I’m left well alone. The beauty of it for me I start at 8 & often finished by 4. Same hours as my crappy factory job.

First week I took people’s advice on here & took it slow & steady. Learning the trucks quirks, proudures etc. Oh & by the way I’m tired today. Think it’s the excitement, doing something new :slight_smile: no two days have been the same either. I’ve done more reversing than I thought possible :open_mouth: but nit shy to ask for help if I needed it by banksman. Lucky for me people have been willing after saying a newbie. :laughing: ( my trainee badge helps too)

This is just a little insight to me as a full time newbie. If your thinking of it, do it. It’s great & like all things, it’s what you make of it that counts to you & you alone.

It’s not a bad way for the average joe like me to make a living. Good luck whoever you are reading this. If I can do it you certainly can. DO IT! :sunglasses:

Great insight into your first week mate…even more important sounds like your loving it!!! Still planning what date to get on the ladder here. But I will

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

When do you think the novelty and enthusiasm will wear off Nighthawk? :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

A man was visiting his 85 year old father in a care home: “Dad, When do men loose interest in ■■■?”
Father: “Ah, let me see. . .Fred is over 100, maybe he has heard of someone who isn`t interested in ■■■ anymore”.
I think lorry driving is somewhat different.

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

A man was visiting his 85 year old father in a care home: “Dad, When do men loose interest in ■■■?”
Father: “Ah, let me see. . .Fred is over 100, maybe he has heard of someone who isn`t interested in ■■■ anymore”.
I think lorry driving is somewhat different.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And so we have a bit of context for Newbies reading this, here’s a thread from another newish driver off the main forum…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146345

He’s not quite so keen on his experience of entering the industry! :confused:

Nighthawk.:
I just wanted to say if your thinking of becoming a truck driver do it.

I’ve just completed my first week on the job (yes I worked bank holiday Monday :grimacing: )

I’ve had a number of jobs and so far I’m enjoying this new career path. I’ve been stuck in factories, offices, and working jobs that are low paid and treated like crap.

I’m 34 and don’t have any real skills meaning like degrees college education. I don’t think your ever to old to get in to this industry although as always some might disagree. For me it started two years ago after being made redundant - twice in one year! Having a young family to support I had to really think what I wanted to do. I thought about doing my cat LGV C for sometime and thought nows as good a time as any.

A great post Nighthawk.

I’m half way through my 3rd week as a Class 2 agency driver and absolutely agree. In a nutshell it doesn’t feel like work.

Loads of variety (even though all working for the same company) much better than being stuck in a car when on congested roads as your height and size makes you feel separate from the rest of the traffic and superb views of course when on lighter trafficked rural roads.

I’m 47 and I have an engineering degree :laughing: . for reasons far too tedious to go into here I resigned from my last engineering position when I was about your age and spent most of the following 12 years trying to decide what to do next. If I hadn’t had the degree I might well have decided to go for my HGV licence sooner (as for a long time there was a part of me thinking I should be using my edukashun :unamused: ) . Anyway I certainly have no regrets so far, I’m viewing this as my second career.

Come back in 3 years and let us know if you still think it’s great :unamused:

As its getting warmer how’s the crumpet spotting going lol,sunglasses help a lot :grimacing: .
Glad our new FH’s have crash avoidance if your taking a longer than usual perve lol

KTMrider:
I’m half way through my 3rd week as a Class 2 agency driver and absolutely agree. In a nutshell it doesn’t feel like work.

Ah those were the days… (up untill wednesday :unamused: ), when I had regular established routes / a driver’s mate who knew them all and who already had the curtain open and the customer greeted before I even had to move from my seat.

Friday on the other hand well, erm, that felt more like work - out on my own doing home deliveries / industrial estates in rural areas and with some timed deliveries. Sure made me realise how ■■■■ easy I had it before.

Still - enjoyed it on the whole, but a huge sense of relief once I’d got my 26 tonner back in the yard, with nothing damaged and most of the drops completed. :slight_smile: