Confused Newbie: what requried for CPC?

I am sure it has been asked before but here goes again with the question.

Background: I have had my car license since 1989 and so have a C1 entitlement but never used for commercial driving. I passed my Theory and Hazard tests in October 2016 and have my C practical training booked in for the start of May.

When I booked the practical training I asked whether I would need to do the mod 4 test to be able to drive commercially after passing the test as I had the C1 entitlement and ideally would like to avoid another test after the practical. They company said that no I would not need to do the mod 4 and could go ahead and do a week long course to gain the full 35hrs CPC training which can then be applied against the C1 and thus I would not need to do the Mod 4 “show me/tell me” - result … or so I thought.

So I enquired with another training company (as it is nearer to me than the practical training centre) about doing a full 35 hours week long course to gain a full CPC and they have advised that it is not possible to do this as I have to do Mod 4 first before I can do the full CPC!?!

So I am confused as you can see when these two training companies supposedly working off the same Govt. guidelines are giving conflicting information!

Any trainers able to correctly confirm if I have to do Mod 4 or not? Fingers crossed for not!

It is amazing what a quick Google search comes up with.

I am presuming then with this that although yes I have “grandfather rights” because I have not done my first block of training before 09/09/2014 then I have to start from scratch and Mod 4 is needed?

You have the option of doing either
mods 2 + 4 initial tests
or
35 hours periodic

Your best and easiest way is to book C course with a provider who is approved to give some of the 35 hours for that course - probably 14 hours
If then going for CE that could get you another 14 hours
Then do a 7 hour tacho + regs course to complete the 35

Does the LGV school you booked with have their practical C/CE course driver cpc approved :question: - don’t know then ASK

Because you have cat C1 on your licence you can choose to do either the initial Driver CPC Mods 2 and 4 or 35 hours of periodic training.

Other people will know more about this than I do but I don’t believe you can get the whole 35 hours periodic training from your cat C training, you may get something like 28 hours though and that would leave you just a one day course to do.
For a HGV driver training course to count towards the Driver CPC periodic training the driver training course has to be approved by JAUPT, not all driver training courses are JAUPT approved so be careful in your training company choice :wink:

I would say that doing your cat C training with a company that has the HGV training course approved is definitely going to be the best way for you to go.

WOO HOO!!!

Bloomin’ brilliant news - thank you both ROG and Tacho, knew I could rely on some clarity. Over the moon not having to do MOD 4.

Will ask about being JAUPT registered and being able to put hours of C and C&E training towards the 35 hours overall with the provider I have.

This is why I love TN - ask daft questions and get sensible, accurate answers :slight_smile:

One more question - if they are not JAUPT approved, any reason why I cannot start the 35 hrs needed before I start on the practical next month?

WonksterDude:
WOO HOO!!!

Bloomin’ brilliant news - thank you both ROG and Tacho, knew I could rely on some clarity. Over the moon not having to do MOD 4.

Will ask about being JAUPT registered and being able to put hours of C and C&E training towards the 35 hours overall with the provider I have.

This is why I love TN - ask daft questions and get sensible, accurate answers :slight_smile:

If they are dcpc approved for practical training then doing 1 to 1 half days is likely to get you 14 hours but doing 2 to 1 full days will double that to 28 for each course

You can do the 35 hours now as you have LGV C1 and you can do the cheapest course 5 times if you want to - seriously

Thanks again ROG :slight_smile:

Checked with my training company (Gordon Springate) and JAUPT approved :sunglasses:

WonksterDude:
Checked with my training company (Gordon Springate) and JAUPT approved :sunglasses:

jaupt.org.uk/centre/gordon-spri … td/ac00560

WonksterDude:

I did both my C and CE training with Gordon Springate, good choice, highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WonksterDude:

To give dcpc hours C and CE practical training :question: - this could be it - jaupt.org.uk/course/safe-drivin … s10274-560
At what extra cost :question:

WonksterDude:

Wait until you post on the main forum! :grimacing:

Best of luck pal, and remember that you can also build up your CPC hours with additional qualifications like ADR and HIAB.

Lee1976:

WonksterDude:

I did both my C and CE training with Gordon Springate, good choice, highly recommended!

Thanks Lee for that - I researched my local training centres and these came up the best for locality, pass rates and got on well with the trainer when I went for the assessment drive.

Evil8Beezle:

WonksterDude:

Wait until you post on the main forum! :grimacing:

Best of luck pal, and remember that you can also build up your CPC hours with additional qualifications like ADR and HIAB.

LMAO! Yes I see the New and Wannabe section as being in the safe toddler pool before venturing out into the wider forum and being dive bombed or receiving a wedgie at every opportunity :wink:

Was looking at ADR to get the extra CPC hours and open opportunities but I have read a number of times that as a new driver, just getting a seat to drive is the first hurdle as wasn’t sure if ADR would offer much help overall initially.

ROG:

WonksterDude:

To give dcpc hours C and CE practical training :question: - this could be it - jaupt.org.uk/course/safe-drivin … s10274-560
At what extra cost :question:

I’ll ask!

Doesn’t look like that’s the one:

Gordon Springate Transport Services Ltd
Julie Mcdonald
01622 736803

training@gordonspringate.co.uk
PCV
LGV

Course Length
Duration: 7 hours

Delivery Location
Classroom

Gordon Springate may be JAUPT approved but don’t have an in-cab course approved.

They may however use a consortium for the in-cab bit, but on the face of it they can’t legally offer CPC Hours for in-cab training.

shep532:
Gordon Springate may be JAUPT approved but don’t have an in-cab course approved.

They may however use a consortium for the in-cab bit, but on the face of it they can’t legally offer CPC Hours for in-cab training.

Finally gotten around to giving GS a call back and you are correct, they don’t have the ability to gain CPC hours with the in-cab training.

Back to 35 hours in a classroom - and for me, that’s better than Mod 2 and Mod 4 testing :laughing:

Best of luck mate. I also hate having ‘tests’ to get through and took the 35 hours classroom stint myself… gotta say though, I was losing the will to live after 3 days of it lol.