Restricted tunnel penalty

Hi all messed up this morn drivin through Birkenhead tunnel when it’s a 3.5 tonne limit…they stopped me at the end and sed it could be a hefty fine and when they asked me if I had the 3.60 to get through i sed no an told him I’m not used to the area and won’t happen again…guy at the gate sed he would let me through this time as he must of known it was a genuine mess up but it’s probably not his decision to say who gets fined or not am guessin…
Just wondering if anyone else has made this mistake and what the penalty was

We had an 18 tonner driver go through it by mistake and as far as I know there was no fine for it.

Cheers m8 they told me at the depot make sure you go through the tunnel rather than all the way round…Seems then meant wallasey tunnel tho not Birkenhead which is for cars…

At my old job, a colleague got done for something along the lines of ‘failing to obey a sign’ or some crap or other and it was a paltry £30 fine, don’t know if there’s a specific penalty for fouling a weight restriction, though.

Went through it years ago after checking it was OK with our TM :imp: when it was a 7.5t limit (though the signage, well there was only one sign and I wasn’t looking that side of the road, was, apparently, illegal). Big fine after it went to court!

Which way did you go? From the M53 past brombrough isn’t that good but coming from Liverpool is sign posted enough.
Always followed tunnel signs from Liverpool so not too bad.

I used to say to myself " Don’t be a birk, be a wally " to remember it. But after not using it for a while I then forgot which way round my ’ reminder ’ was.

So then I thought about a burqa. ( Sounds similar but paints a picture in my mind of the type to avoid ). So now I avoid burqa’s :laughing:

I went through it with a 3.5t transit pickup and a 14foot plant trailer and got told off. No fine so far and that was 3 years ago so just relax. It’s not the end of the world.

The whirlwind:
I went through it with a 3.5t transit pickup and a 14foot plant trailer and got told off. No fine so far and that was 3 years ago so just relax. It’s not the end of the world.

Relax Indeed, So now is the time to go out on the lash, & Have a good night out on this ■■■■, Then go for a good & I mean good Chinese meal, Enjoy, Regards Larry.