Class 2 to class 1

Hi…happy easter everyone

After you pass your class 2 is it best to do some class 2 work then do class1 test etc.

Or just complete both then get on with it? I know you have to wait for your licence to come back with prov entitlement for class 1’s.

What sort of work is best to get experience on…supermarket work, pallets, multi drop etc etc?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Depends where you live…

If you have C2 stuff available, you could go for that to get some experience, then move onto C+E…

Or, I think someone said it on here… While you’re still in ‘training mode’, go straight for your C+E.

It’ll then ‘hopefully’ open even more doors for you…

I’ve had my class 2 for almost a year and am learning class 1 currently. If you have funds it is better to do class 1 straight after, however due to lack of experience your first job will probably be class 2 work.

The longer you drive class 2, the more familiar you become, which in turn could make it harder for class 1 especially reversing.

EDIT: like Goldfinger said you will be in ‘training mode’ so the learning will come more easily, and you haven’t the chance to pick up bad habits

There’s no right or wrong. Going straight for it means you’re still in training mode with few bad habits. Or get experience, and more confidence by driving CAT C, but pick up bad habits that you’ll have to pay to get rid of!

The factor that is for sure is that the price of training rarely goes down. So maybe better sooner rather than later.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Is that a hint Peter…? :wink:

Myself, I did my Class 2 then waited a year and a half before doing my Class 1. Only did it because my Class 2 job at the time looked a bit shaky. Having said that, you could pass both then start back on Class 2 if you wanted.

Get your class 2 and get a job doing it but pre book your class one for a month after you start driving the class 2 and hone your skills that you learnt ready for your class 1 training ,
This will get you used to the size and weight of a larger vehicle .

I know I wouldn’t like to go from a 3.5 tonne van directly to a 44 tonne articulated Lorry without some seat time in a class 2 .

Lloydie:
Get your class 2 and get a job doing it but pre book your class one for a month after you start driving the class 2 and hone your skills that you learnt ready for your class 1 training ,
This will get you used to the size and weight of a larger vehicle .

I know I wouldn’t like to go from a 3.5 tonne van directly to a 44 tonne articulated Lorry without some seat time in a class 2 .

Good point…been driving buses for last 3 years. Looking forward to it…just got a month or so of stuff to clear before I make a start.

To put it into perspective, the rule saying you have to pass C before CE has only been in place for the last 20 years. Prior to that, 99% of folks went straight to artic.

And of that number, some didn’t hold a car licence.

So what’s the fuss about?

Peter Smythe:
To put it into perspective, the rule saying you have to pass C before CE has only been in place for the last 20 years. Prior to that, 99% of folks went straight to artic.

And of that number, some didn’t hold a car licence.

So what’s the fuss about?

Progression !
Just like with bikes
When I passed my bike test on a 80cc I could of jumped on a 1000cc super bike [emoji15] , I didn’t as I knew I wouldn’t last a week lol .
It’s all down to the individual .
Most wouldn’t have a problem going direct to a class 1 but like I said I wouldn’t like to do it .

For what it’s worth, I done my class 2 got pretty much a yr of experience on pallets under my belt then got my class 1. The experience I felt helped much more then still being in “training mode” didn’t have many bad habits to kick as they hadn’t really stuck as it was only about 10months [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts are to do class 1 about 6 months after.
Suppose everyone is different.
Just interested to find out what experience people have had doing it whichever way.
This forum is a great place to gather information…thanks to all of you

I have seen many folks, some using the “straight through” route, others choosing to get some experience first. I have found it impossible to quantify the results using the experience, or lack of, as a quantifying factor.

Thus my expression that there’s no right or wrong. If it feels right to get experience, then that’s the correct route. If you feel happy staying in “training mode”, then that is the correct route for you. What feels “right” is probably the best guide there is.

Find out what is most needed in your area.
Having your class 1 does not guarantee work.

if class 1 is what you really want then Just go for it. I passed both last year but haven’t been in a ridged since passing my class 2. But I suppose its all about how you feel and were your confidence is.

I think driving class 2 for 2 months helped me no end tbh. I passed class 2 with 11 minors but passed class 1 with 3. I believe it made me a better driver driving class 2 for Palmer and harveys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I did a few months class VAN first as it seemed logical to me, and I passed both first time! :smiley:
Plus I felt I needed to slum it a bit before becoming a driving God! :wink:

The OP should do what they feel is right, as that’s the only right answer…