Tacho query?

I would be grateful if someone could clarify my thoughts… I don’t think this tacho is working quite as it should be - I’ve just started a new job. I had my tacho card stolen and had to drive for the first week without it on the 15 days but have it now as of last Thu.

I printed off two days.

She seems to be set so that the 24 hours finishes at 1 pm in the afternoon. So each day I am doing the a.m. driving on yesterdays 24 period. The mileage figures don’t seem to add up in places. I’ve been driving for two years and check figures are ok on the tacho but don’t usually do a printout. In the morning when I get in the cab (Renault) on the info display it says 2 hours approx driving that day… i.e. it seems to have recorded driving hours from 1 pm. So I can only assume that it was set at midday rather than midnight.

label A - shows the start mileage to be 83496 on both days. Yet the mileage given above 83496 seems to be right as the mileage that day was 212 which means added up the figure for the 7/4/17 is correct of 83708.

label B - under the times column there is another box that gives 75813 - both days!

label C - in the summary box this seems to be correct other than the working time of almost 9 hours.

label D - below the summary box I am not quite sure what this lists.

Strangely enough the following day with the digicard all seem to be as I expected. Tue I need to do a printout and check the summary box. With the high working hours in the summary box it would seem that something is not right somewhere and I need to tell the boss and take her to the tacho centre.

Ill try and help a little, but dont claim the expertise of “tachograph” and others.
What vehicle? Tachograph ? Year? May be helpful.
When driving without a card (stolen?) you should do a printout from vehicle both at start and end of your shift. You should mark your name and driver number on these. Keep them with you.
It looks to me on both printouts youve been on duty from midnight on both days. When you insert the card is the tacho on rest? Do you book off (book rest and end place) when finishing your shift? Just taking out the card isnt enough.
B : that symbol is for driver card I think.
D: That symbol is showing an event on both days.It is the same time that you take out your card on both days.
Have you used a digital tachograph before? Did you have issues previously, or was all ok?
If you can answer those questions it may make things easier for the experts.

When you’re driving without your driver card you’re supposed to do a printout at the start of the shift and another at the end of the shift on each day you’re driving.

The printouts are 24 hour vehicle printouts and that’s why they start at 00:00.

I’m not sure about A or B.

C. Shows the summary of the vehicles activities from midnight, it shows the vehicles activities because there was no card inserted.

D. D is the last 5 vehicle events and shows the last 5 instances of the vehicle being driven without a driver card.
(I don’t know why the times don’t match up with all the driving times but they’re definitely driving without a card events)

tachograph:
When you’re driving without your driver card you’re supposed to do a printout at the start of the shift and another at the end of the shift on each day you’re driving.

Thanks I didn’t know that. I’ve been driving for two years and as the times seemed correct I didn’t have cause for concern. CPC should really cover more practical so one knows - I didn’t even do manual entry on mine… just learned since.

I’ll do a printout tomorrow with the card in use and check closely. What I didn’t understand was how when I have gone to the truck in the morning on the info panel is approx two hours i.e. what I’ve done after break. I’d have thought there is no difference between having a card inserted or not as she should still be recording hours from midnight (UTC).

jessejazza:

tachograph:

Thanks I didn’t know that. I’ve been driving for two years and as the times seemed correct I didn’t have cause for concern. CPC should really cover more practical so one knows - I didn’t even do manual entry on mine… just learned since.

The idea is that if you do a printout at the start of the shift and another printout at the end of the shift the difference (anything that’s on the second printout but not the first) is your activities for the shift.

This is the legally correct way of recording your activities when driving without a driver card:

4.2 - Tachograph Rules
:
Lost, stolen or malfunctioning driver cards

Digital tachograph cards have passed all relevant International Organization for Standardization (ISO) qualified tests and security certification requirements. They are designed to work reliably and securely for their period of validity but, like all smart cards, can be damaged by abuse. Take care of your driver card – treat it as if it were a credit card and do not subject it to excessive force, bending or extremes of temperature.

Where it is impossible to use a driver card (e.g. where it has been lost, stolen or damaged or is malfunctioning) a driver may drive without the card for a maximum of 15 calendar days (or longer if this is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its premises) provided that they produce 2 printouts – one at the start of the day and another at the end so long as there is no change of vehicle. Where there is a change of vehicle then a printout will need to be taken at the start and end of the use of vehicle 1 and then a printout at the start and end of vehicle 2 and so on. All printouts must be marked with:

• the driver’s name or driver card or licence number, so the driver can be identified
  • any manual entries needed to show periods of other work, availability, and rest or break
  • the driver’s signature

The driver must report the problem to DVLA and apply for a new card within seven calendar days.

jessejazza:
I’ll do a printout tomorrow with the card in use and check closely. What I didn’t understand was how when I have gone to the truck in the morning on the info panel is approx two hours i.e. what I’ve done after break. I’d have thought there is no difference between having a card inserted or not as she should still be recording hours from midnight (UTC).

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean.

If you mean the tachograph display screen that shows your driving times ec’t it will calculate the times from the last break recorded on the VU, when your driver card is in the tachograph the times shown will be calculated from the activities on the driver card.

Without a driver card being inserted the tachograph has no way of knowing when the shift started so can only do the calculations from what’s recorded on the VU, if someone else uses the vehicle while you’re on a rest period it will show their activities as well as yours.

tachograph:

jessejazza:

tachograph:

The idea is that if you do a printout at the start of the shift and another printout at the end of the shift the difference (anything that’s on the second printout but not the first) is your activities for the shift.

This is the legally correct way of recording your activities when driving without a driver card:

4.2 - Tachograph Rules
:
Lost, stolen or malfunctioning driver cards

Digital tachograph cards have passed all relevant International Organization for Standardization (ISO) qualified tests and security certification requirements. They are designed to work reliably and securely for their period of validity but, like all smart cards, can be damaged by abuse. Take care of your driver card – treat it as if it were a credit card and do not subject it to excessive force, bending or extremes of temperature.

Where it is impossible to use a driver card (e.g. where it has been lost, stolen or damaged or is malfunctioning) a driver may drive without the card for a maximum of 15 calendar days (or longer if this is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its premises) provided that they produce 2 printouts – one at the start of the day and another at the end so long as there is no change of vehicle. Where there is a change of vehicle then a printout will need to be taken at the start and end of the use of vehicle 1 and then a printout at the start and end of vehicle 2 and so on. All printouts must be marked with:

• the driver’s name or driver card or licence number, so the driver can be identified
  • any manual entries needed to show periods of other work, availability, and rest or break
  • the driver’s signature

The driver must report the problem to DVLA and apply for a new card within seven calendar days.

jessejazza:

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean.

If you mean the tachograph display screen that shows your driving times ec’t it will calculate the times from the last break recorded on the VU, when your driver card is in the tachograph the times shown will be calculated from the activities on the driver card.

Without a driver card being inserted the tachograph has no way of knowing when the shift started so can only do the calculations from what’s recorded on the VU, if someone else uses the vehicle while you’re on a rest period it will show their activities as well as yours.

No, being Renault! In the info screen on the dash where it gives warnings etc - in a Renault (only one I have driven) it shows a tacho sign and driving hours for the day (but not rest or working time). Suppose it is being helpful… but then again one can look at the tacho anyway.