Tacho query?

tachograph:

jessejazza:

tachograph:
When you’re driving without your driver card you’re supposed to do a printout at the start of the shift and another at the end of the shift on each day you’re driving.

Thanks I didn’t know that. I’ve been driving for two years and as the times seemed correct I didn’t have cause for concern. CPC should really cover more practical so one knows - I didn’t even do manual entry on mine… just learned since.

The idea is that if you do a printout at the start of the shift and another printout at the end of the shift the difference (anything that’s on the second printout but not the first) is your activities for the shift.

This is the legally correct way of recording your activities when driving without a driver card:

4.2 - Tachograph Rules
:
Lost, stolen or malfunctioning driver cards

Digital tachograph cards have passed all relevant International Organization for Standardization (ISO) qualified tests and security certification requirements. They are designed to work reliably and securely for their period of validity but, like all smart cards, can be damaged by abuse. Take care of your driver card – treat it as if it were a credit card and do not subject it to excessive force, bending or extremes of temperature.

Where it is impossible to use a driver card (e.g. where it has been lost, stolen or damaged or is malfunctioning) a driver may drive without the card for a maximum of 15 calendar days (or longer if this is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its premises) provided that they produce 2 printouts – one at the start of the day and another at the end so long as there is no change of vehicle. Where there is a change of vehicle then a printout will need to be taken at the start and end of the use of vehicle 1 and then a printout at the start and end of vehicle 2 and so on. All printouts must be marked with:

• the driver’s name or driver card or licence number, so the driver can be identified
  • any manual entries needed to show periods of other work, availability, and rest or break
  • the driver’s signature

The driver must report the problem to DVLA and apply for a new card within seven calendar days.

jessejazza:
I’ll do a printout tomorrow with the card in use and check closely. What I didn’t understand was how when I have gone to the truck in the morning on the info panel is approx two hours i.e. what I’ve done after break. I’d have thought there is no difference between having a card inserted or not as she should still be recording hours from midnight (UTC).

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean.

If you mean the tachograph display screen that shows your driving times ec’t it will calculate the times from the last break recorded on the VU, when your driver card is in the tachograph the times shown will be calculated from the activities on the driver card.

Without a driver card being inserted the tachograph has no way of knowing when the shift started so can only do the calculations from what’s recorded on the VU, if someone else uses the vehicle while you’re on a rest period it will show their activities as well as yours.

No, being Renault! In the info screen on the dash where it gives warnings etc - in a Renault (only one I have driven) it shows a tacho sign and driving hours for the day (but not rest or working time). Suppose it is being helpful… but then again one can look at the tacho anyway.