Deciced To Go For C+E

Well, after weeks of no luck (and not even replies to letters), applying for class 2 work, we’ve decided that I’ll go for my class 1… :open_mouth:

It’s been nearly 4 years since I turned a wheel, so has much changed test / training wise etc?

As I see many training companies are now using autos etc?

Any other advice is welcome too thanks…

Goldfinger:
Well, after weeks of no luck (and not even replies to letters), applying for class 2 work, we’ve decided that I’ll go for my class 1… :open_mouth:

It’s been nearly 4 years since I turned a wheel, so has much changed test / training wise etc?

As I see many training companies are now using autos etc?

Any other advice is welcome too thanks…

Avoid Tyne & Wear LGV on the Felling by pass

Thanks animal…

Many others I know have said the same…

Think it’ll be another visit to TTS again…

Or Peter Smyth on here has a good reputation

If your having trouble finding class 2 work chances are you will have even more trouble finding class 1 work. I think you should go for it if you can afford it but don’t see it as a guarantee for constant work.

The way we’ve seen it is, there seems to be way more work available on class 1 than class 2…

Also, I was given some advice years ago (that’s if I can’t explain it properly…?)…

Why drive to / from work twice a day - 5 /6 days a week…?

When lets say you’re tramping, you could travel only once a week to work, and then only once again to home…?

Therefore, I could look way further for work…

Goldfinger:
The way we’ve seen it is, there seems to be way more work available on class 1 than class 2…

Also, I was given some advice years ago (that’s if I can’t explain it properly…?)…

When lets say you’re tramping, you could travel only once a week to work, and then only once again to home…?

Makes sense. Weve had one or two drivers from a 5 or 6 hour car drive away. Some companies have "outbased" drivers too, although thats not too common. The driver takes the vehicle to their home (or nearby) every weekend, and may only go to home base once every few weeks. It can make Monday morn deliveries away from the main base easier for those companies having only one depot. Takes some thought to get set up, but can work well.

If you’ve already got Class 2, all you need to do now is learn to pull a trailer. Auto or manual is a fierce debate, but the choice is ultimately yours. What are you used to, can you find someone with a similar setup but artic (or, if you prefer, do wag & drag and you might be able to find an identical rig to whatever you’re already familiar with). Another fierce debate on whether wag & drag is easier, the same or more challenging than artics.

Goldfinger:

I only live 19 miles from my depot but because I got lucky and found a cat C tramping job with an allocated truck most weeks I don’t go home till Friday as we have 2 yards 200 yards apart from each other
One is where the office warehouse and pallet trunkers run out of the other which was the original yard is where we park all the General haulage trucks trailers and spare truck in also work shop is there and it’s quiet after 6pm and secure and has a shower so if I’m back at base I stay in truck and save nearly a gallon of fuel a day and 1 1/2 hours commute time
P/s it’s a shame you’re right up there as we have a Cat C vacancy on general but it’s near Southampton 6hours away

The biggest changes have been the reduction in the size of the reversing area, the abolition of the braking exercise, loaded vehicles and being able to use auto to gain a full manual licence (provided you hold a manual car licence).

Some of these changes may already have taken place by the time you took your last test, but that’s about it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

TBH if he had his Class 1 now there is a company advertising for 2 trampers ok they don’t pay the best but will give new drivers a go never a problem

SP in Cramlington…

Saw the ad animal…

Typical… :frowning:

Goldfinger:
SP in Cramlington…

Saw the ad animal…

Typical… :frowning:

Don’t worry he often advertises go see him when you pass C+E he does have some Cat C as well

Wife sent in a CV a few weeks ago now…

She spoke to an old ish guy (50’s, white hair), I couldn’t get to personally hand it in as I was at work, and he even said they’re ‘always’ looking for drivers…

Goldfinger:
Wife sent in a CV a few weeks ago now…

She spoke to an old ish guy (50’s, white hair), I couldn’t get to personally hand it in as I was at work, and he even said they’re ‘always’ looking for drivers…

That could be any of them but the owner is Steve Patrick

In my opinion class 1 work isn’t all that… wherever you go they always push you for the hours and the pay isn’t much better either I prefer to have a life

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Each to their own Berty, but if it enables me to earn more than I’m on now - even if it means more hours etc, then I’ll take that chance…

Scania at Milton Keynes… Two brothers will get you through no problems. Great bunch!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SouthEastCashew:
Scania at Milton Keynes… Two brothers will get you through no problems. Great bunch!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Now why would he want to go for Newcastle upon Tyne ( well a bit further north actually Northumberland ) to Milton Keynes to train :question: when there are plenty good trainers before there

Just booked with Peter from on here… …

Why…?

He seemed more transparent than others I rang…

They only have me a ‘ball park figure’ for training costs etc.