C1 question

Hello all

I appreciate this has probley been asked loads of times I’m currently training to get my c1 which I’ll be then training for my c1+e

Now the company I work for have paid for it all but they very disorganised just trown money everywhere without actully looking into it i was under the impression that I was doing my c1 which is 7.5 ton Max however I had my first lesson the other day in a truck identical to this billythomashgvdrivertraining.co. … ence-hgv2/

The blue man

I was told there was 5ton in the back + that truck is 5ton =10 ton so am I actully doing my C instead of C1 ?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

lmr1342:
I was told there was 5ton in the back + that truck is 5ton =10 ton so am I actully doing my C instead of C1 ?

Yes! :smiley:

I dont know that truck, it could be a 7.5 or a class 2 but if it has 5ton in the back its def a cat C.

Tbh if your doing your c1 and c1+e your better off just doing your cat C licence then you can get your C+E and drive any truck. Maybe when your company phoned they told them they got told this so just decided to change it.

That man truck is a 12.220 which tells me it’s GVW is 12tonne.

Cheers for all your replys guys it just makes me laugh that the company is paying for this (I’m not complaining btw I know I’m quite lucky as it’s not cheap) and we won’t even be driving big trucks it’s Purley so we can tow cars off the road to a safer place…

Well definitely be grateful to your boss then mate, as a Class C on your licence followed by a C+E will be worth a lot more than C1…

Oh without a doubt I’ll just see what happens only 4 hours so far got another 2 days left with seems a bit quick but will keep you all posted

Cheers for all your help

From the gallery of pics on the site I count only 6 wheel nuts on the wheels which means, unless my eyesight does not need checking, that the max is 7.5 tonnes …

I checked on the .gov website and it says Revenue weight 12000kg? Dose that mean the max weight ?

Best bet is to ask your trainer what test your taking

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is 7.5 tonne. The only 2 types of trucks (sorry evil i mean van :stuck_out_tongue: ) this could be are below

7.5 tonne = 6 wheel nuts + small wheels
12 tonne = 8 wheel nuts + small wheels

No way it has 8 wheel nuts so is a c1 7.5 tonne vehicle.

The MAN trucks shown on the website are ex MOD training vehicles. They will be drawbar equipped and are 12 tonnes. I used to have one many years ago and I cant remember the number of wheel nuts. But it is a general rule that it’s 8 for 12 tonne. Maybe this is an anomaly. But the revenue weight check is reliable. Also, given the 5 tonne load.

The C1 training vehicle shown on the site is a Sprinter van which is typical for what is used by trainers for C1.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

slapstick:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is 7.5 tonne. The only 2 types of trucks (sorry evil i mean van :stuck_out_tongue: ) this could be are below

Sorry to burst your bubble - number of wheel nuts is no measure of plated weight.

Here’s a similar motor:
mvcommercial.s3.amazonaws.com/u … 020679.JPG

12 tonne and clearly only has 6 wheel nuts.

ROG:
From the gallery of pics on the site I count only 6 wheel nuts on the wheels which means, unless my eyesight does not need checking, that the max is 7.5 tonnes …

12 tonners also have 6 wheel nuts:

andy_s:

Correct it is indeed a 12 tonner. But almost 13 years old too. What a vehicle to learn in considering most companies won’t have vehicles anywhere near that old these days. There is a lot to be said for trainers to use modern trucks that reflect the vehicles people are likely to be driving in the real world.
And before anyone says it doesn’t matter if it’s well looked after and maintained. I’ve driven old trucks and most old trucks drive like sheds and have ropey gear changes etc no matter how much money they have spent on them lol

Sadly the age of the trucks would put me off paying to train them regardless of how good or bad the school is.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

slapstick:

Sorry to burst your bubble - number of wheel nuts is no measure of plated weight.

Here’s a similar motor:

12 tonne and clearly only has 6 wheel nuts.

My bad :blush: I was told the general rule of thumb is 6 for 7.5 tonne and 8 for 12 tonne :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never come across a LGV plated over 7500 with only 6 wheel nuts which is why I commented on it but I only used that as a rule of thumb and not as a legal defintion

simcor:

andy_s:

Correct it is indeed a 12 tonner. But almost 13 years old too. What a vehicle to learn in considering most companies won’t have vehicles anywhere near that old these days. There is a lot to be said for trainers to use modern trucks that reflect the vehicles people are likely to be driving in the real world.
And before anyone says it doesn’t matter if it’s well looked after and maintained. I’ve driven old trucks and most old trucks drive like sheds and have ropey gear changes etc no matter how much money they have spent on them lol

Sadly the age of the trucks would put me off paying to train them regardless of how good or bad the school is.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

The contrary argument is: If you can drive an older truck, then you can drive anything. If you learn in a newer truck you could be flumoxed by anything older and less than perfect, i.e. the truck you`ll get as a newbie.

I did my class 1 in a 7.5 tonne man wagon & drag thanks to the ministry of defence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my class 1 in a 7.5 tonne man wagon & drag thanks to the ministry of defence!

If you had, you would now hold a C1E which certainly isn’t class 1! The fact is that most 12 tonners (which is almost certainly what you used) look like 7.5 tonners. I should know - - I’ve got a yard full of them!!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: