Double deck weight limit question

Afternoon all

I have a question ref the loading and more importantly the weight limit for a top deck of a decker.

After a search on here I can’t seem to find the answer, but, if the swan neck and lower deck is fully loaded, even with light loads, I heard the top deck should not exceed 5 tonne spaced out along the deck, is this true?

I know the heavier stuff should be on the bottom, with the lighter pallets on top, but is the 5 tonne limit true or myth?

Thanks all

Mick

I would suggest myth. Car transporters would be a good example.

Consulting the trailer manufacturers would give you the definitive answer.

eagerbeaver:

Fair point, I rarely use the deckers at work and we never run anywhere near our limit in weight, I heard it mentioned the other day but wasn’t sure, thanks pal

I imagine there may be DD trailers that have a manufacturers maximum weight of 5t for the top deck, I’m not aware of any law about it and a quick look at The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations doesn’t throw anything up.

tachograph:
I imagine there may be DD trailers that have a manufacturers maximum weight of 5t for the top deck, I’m not aware of any law about it and a quick look at The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations doesn’t throw anything up.

I’ll get the name of the manufacturer and have a look on there site, a couple of drivers were debating the issue the other day, no one seemed to know for certain, it seemed to be “I’ve heard” getting mentioned a lot but very little in the way of facts, as said I rarely use them but when I do I’d like to know I’m running legal and safe,

Thank you for your reply

What? Truck drivers talking ■■■■■■■■ and creating myths?

Surely not…

Hahaha I was sceptical as I listened, but thought I’d check on here anyway

Our deckers and smaller 33ft trideck have a top floor weight limit of 10T evenly spread.

Daytrunker:
Our deckers and smaller 33ft trideck have a top floor weight limit of 10T evenly spread.

Same as our DD, although we never get near that weight.

The decker i used to drive also had a sticker on on saying 10T evenly spread on the top deck max

eagerbeaver:

I’d suggest a myth too, sometimes we run at dead on 44t on our deckers so they’ll be a lot more than 5t on them, 10t sounds more reasonable but next time I have one I’ll have a look.

I would have thought it’s down to the Drivers responsibility to ensure the load on the wagon (regardless of where it’s placed) is secure and within the GVW/ axle limit of the vehicle just like a normal trailer?

andy_s:
I would have thought it’s down to the Drivers responsibility to ensure the load on the wagon (regardless of where it’s placed) is secure and within the GVW/ axle limit of the vehicle just like a normal trailer?

We have an axle weigher so can only weigh them plus the entire load but we don’t know how much is on which deck but generally heavier stuff on the bottom obviously.

Watched a lad who knows what he’s doing tipping the bottom deck and then lowering the top deck down on his curtainsider before carrying on to the next drop, noticed the top deck sticker was 9 tons evenly spread.

I was tipping me tank at the time right beside him (almost back to back, cosy :laughing: ), we’d already had a chopse as you do, but gave me a right start when he commenced lowering cos the on board alarm sounded just like the silo high level/overpressure alarm :open_mouth:

When the alarm sounds on ours there’s a 10 second delay then the deck lowers, I suppose the 10 seconds is long enough for someone to get out the back of the trailer before being squashed to about 18 inches tall .

9ton evenly spread on ours (3ton each section) [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tesco fridge Double deckers 12000kg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the 3/4 length top decks I’ve pulled have been 10t max