Which Sat Nav to buy

Which Sat Nav do you find the best to buy…Priced a new Snooper with built in tv for £389.00…or do you get the other one’s seen on Ebay for around £79.00

Any Thought and reviews

Thanks

Depends on how much you have available to spend I guess, but more doesn’t always mean better from the people I’ve talked to. I didn’t have much money to spare at the time so I bought a cheapo chinese one for about £40. Does the job, you can set vehicle parameters like height/ weight etc. has speed cam alerts as well, although I don’t think they’re that up to date…

andy_s:
Depends on how much you have available to spend I guess, but more doesn’t always mean better from the people I’ve talked to. I didn’t have much money to spare at the time so I bought a cheapo chinese one for about £40. Does the job, you can set vehicle parameters like height/ weight etc. has speed cam alerts as well, although I don’t think they’re that up to date…

There are many, many thread on this subject already, and it is unlikely that the contributions are going to be any different here. Your best bet by far would be to search the forum for ‘satnav’, ‘tomtom’ etc and read what comes up.

ORC:
There are many, many thread on this subject already, and it is unlikely that the contributions are going to be any different here. Your best bet by far would be to search the forum for ‘satnav’, ‘tomtom’ etc and read what comes up.

As you’ve probably noticed pal, every time this question comes up, I just paste this in now… :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128456

Hi Guys

New on here ,but found the link to previous questions…Guess it depends on what price you want to pay…Chinese ones fro £79.99 or Snooper £380.00

Bought the Garmin Dezl 770. No issues with that and as I’ve been doing same route recently it loads up my next one once I’ve arrived at first haha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If the traffic feature is important to you do not buy a garmin.

SuperMultiBlue:
If the traffic feature is important to you do not buy a garmin.

Why is that? Because I’ve had no issues with mine. Only issue I’ve seen is it’s said a road is closed but it’s actually been open.

seasideblues:
Which Sat Nav do you find the best to buy…Priced a new Snooper with built in tv for £389.00…or do you get the other one’s seen on Ebay for around £79.00

Any Thought and reviews

Thanks

if you were in the market for a car would you buy a new Dacia at £7900 or a new BMW at £38900?

Maybe you’d realise you want a quality motor for sensible money and hit the secondhand market like most car buyers.

I’ve got 3 tomtoms the newest two are about 8 years old and never had a single issue with any of them, so for the same money as the chinese carp I’d be looking at this:

ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMTOM-GO-930 … 3641.l6368

I’ve just bought a box tech one for £40 from Amazon.
It will be here for next week, should be doing more agency work next week so I will post here what it’s like.

No way am i paying £300+ for a Garmin or TomTom.

I’ve gotten around ok with Google maps on my phone, you just need to keep an eye out for restrictions and figure out a way around yourself.
Hasn’t happened to often and when it has the detour has been ok

thehig:
No way am i paying £300+ for a Garmin or TomTom.

New TomTom’s on ebay for a bit under that - Around £250.

Paid about £90 for my used one which I’ve used for the last month and pleased with it although I would have got by with my car TomTom in the vehicles i’m driving at the moment anyway.

No way am i paying £250 for a tom tom or Garmin, it’s still too expensive

thehig:

Just be very careful of the eBay £40 ones. Had a few at our place end up in places they should not be down lol.

JaxDemon:

thehig:

Just be very careful of the eBay £40 ones. Had a few at our place end up in places they should not be down lol.

There are some that have the wrong maps installed and don’t have the bridge heights (all in the thread I posted…)

thehig:
No way am i paying £250 for a tom tom or Garmin

no way I was going to either - considering I paid £300 for a motorcycle Garmin in October + another £60 on the mount :laughing:

My £420 tomtom trucker is away AGAIN for repair because of a failed gps issue,2nd time in 4 months on 2 seperate units!I’ve almost been without it for longer than I’ve been with it…goes to show just because you buy a named one at top price it doesn’t mean it won’t fail…repeatedly.

Tomtom are now sending me a brand new replacement,hopefully this will last longer than the previous ones.

I had a Snooper costing £300. I sold it on eBay for £220 andbought a cheapo Chinese one.

The cheapo unit in general is far better than the Snooper. But, I’m not really LGV driving these days so is sat idle. I used it for many miles though without issue.

Satnavs? (my twopence worth!)

I have a truck satnav on the phone but she sometimes ‘freezes’ on a long stop or break.

I had a garmin car satnav 9rather than TomTom) simply because I use Linux on the PC and garmin allow an SDcard with OSM maps on it which I have found much more reliable than garmin’s own.

The truck satnav did not take me round certain routes weight limits I found.

Perhaps I am old fashioned but I think one is best with a Truck Atlas, adding in way points on a car satnav to ‘bring you in’. Cheaper maybe but also ‘fool proof’.

jessejazza:
Satnavs? (my twopence worth!)

I have a truck satnav on the phone but she sometimes ‘freezes’ on a long stop or break.

I had a garmin car satnav 9rather than TomTom) simply because I use Linux on the PC and garmin allow an SDcard with OSM maps on it which I have found much more reliable than garmin’s own.

The truck satnav did not take me round certain routes weight limits I found.

Perhaps I am old fashioned but I think one is best with a Truck Atlas, adding in way points on a car satnav to ‘bring you in’. Cheaper maybe but also ‘fool proof’.

I use truck atlas a lot as I generally drive quite a way between tips and collections: Gives me a quick over view of the quickest route, then a look at any weight/ height restrictions on the way. Then I use the sat nav when I get close.

I also make a mental note of the route and don’t just rely on the sat nav for pointing me in the right direction… could come a time when the satnav ain’t working so remembering the route by looking at signs and roundabouts etc. could help if it goes down.