What proportion of jobs out there are on automatics?

I know a lorry training company that only does manuals, their argument being that it’d be more difficult to get a job if you train in an automatic because you won’t have the skills to drive a manual. For a newbie, how many jobs are out there that would involve driving a manual?

I don’t know how many companies now use vehicles with a manual gearbox, but I do know that it won’t be long before someone tells you that driving a manual lorry is the same as driving a manual car so auto is best for training :unamused:

JackMacyntire:
I know a lorry training company that only does manuals, their argument being that it’d be more difficult to get a job if you train in an automatic because you won’t have the skills to drive a manual. For a newbie, how many jobs are out there that would involve driving a manual?

I would say there are more autos than manuals these days as it seems to have a manual costs more from the makers

They are possibly just saying what they did because they have not invested in newer autos

Even if you trained in one type of manual the chances of coming across that exact gearbox in your career is unlikely - same goes for autos

It’s possible to put a spin on the benefits of training on a manual. It’s just as possible to put a spin on the benefits of training on auto. The indisputable facts are that the huge majority of new trucks are auto. But there are a hefty number of manual trucks still out there in common use.

But bear in mind that 2 axle trucks tend to be no more than a 6 speed (clearly there are exceptions) and that, having learned on a manual, you will only be familiar with that one type.

Many years ago we used to train on 4 and 5 speed manuals and folks went on to drive anything you can think of. Are we now going to say that folks then were more clever than they are now? I think not!

So the jury remains well and truly out on this one.

For us, we offer the choice. So I have no axe to grind.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

driving a manual lorry is the same as driving a manual car so auto is best for training :unamused:

Clearly there are similarities but this doesn’t account for the slower gear change, the weight of the vehicle - particularly uphill etc etc. And whilst I can put forward sound arguments for training on auto, I wouldn’t support the idea that driving a manual car is the same as a manual truck - as it obviously isn’t.

But, tbh, it isn’t rocket science.

IMO this is something that folks worry about and it turns into something bigger than perhaps it really is. But that’s my opinion.

My firms rigids are manuals, 12t trucks are 6 speeds, 16 to 26t trucks are 8 & 12 speeds and all the artics are 12 speed autos or automated manuals [emoji51] whatever we are calling them these days [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most wagons I drive are mainly manual still which I prefer but I guess that’s because I learned on them years ago. The more modern ones I’ve driven (1-2 years old) are auto’s and whilst useful maybe in urban areas (imo), I would prefer knowing how to use a manual properly when it comes to longer hauls, especially on steeper hills.

When I took my test I did it in a 12 tonne but it has a gear where you had to push it to one side to change into a different range. I’ve no idea of the name of the type of gear system but i have never used it since.

One of my first jobs via an agency was at brakes brothers driving a truck with gears that required you flick a switch to use - at 5am in the middle of winter in the dark I didn’t really have a clue how to use it. Being new I didn’t really want to ask anyone so I crawled out the yard and after around 10 miles managed to figure out how to use it.

More recently I’ve driven trucks that are six speed and am finding that these are being replaced with automatics.

In conclusion it doesn’t matter one jot what you learn in as you can bet your life that the next truck you jump in will have a different gear system.

I think in hindsight I would probably learn in an automatic as it does remove the need to think about the gears so much. The only issue I have with automatics is that they tend to be less responsive when pulling away and you’ll find this an issue at roundabouts.

The only manuals in my firm are 2 hiab truck (1 iveco 18t 6spd 1 MAN 26t wag 8speed switch split) and a Iveco 7.5 t flat bed
All others are either arsetronic MANs , stop play record Iveco’s or Merc actros

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t see how it would impact future work, I’ve only done agency work so far and no one asked what I passed my test in, just what experience I had!

Just to add I passed in a 6speed 10t and then for nearly 4 years drove Allison gearboxed dust carts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, companies from my limited experience don’t seem to care. You’re licensed to drive a manual truck so you will drive a manual truck. As previously said, you could learn on a 6 speed then get a 4 over 4 range splitter, so manual training is largely pointless.

If you do end up with a manual, just ask another driver or the TM ‘how do I use this?’. They’d prefer you to ask loads of annoying noob questions than head out of the depot grinding the gears and wasting fuel. There’s a guide somewhere on this forum to the different types of manual box, and there’s enough YouTube videos.

I got a steering wheel + gearstick for my PC which I use for Euro Truck Sim, so the first time I got given a manual it was pretty familiar, not that I’d suggest going and spending a ton of money on stuff like that, lol. And for what it’s worth, manual seems to be a dying breed anyway. It seems to be that you don’t get new trucks (1-3 years) that have manual as they’re often more expensive options.

I passed my cat c on an auto first job was in an 18t Scania with a splitter after 15 mins I was comfortable with it.

Imo trunking + mainly motorway driving auto is best. City driving and construction sites manual. That being said after few weeks on agency I stopped caring what I got. Never once got asked if I have used it before. Tbh the bigger problem I’ve had is with tail lifts. Must of spent an hour in the Scania working out how to put it back in. They don’t even mention tail lifts on the test and I’ve never been offered training on them.

Just remember to close it after you’ve done - don’t go shunting your truck around with it down. Luckily I’m super paranoid about tail swing, lol.

tachograph:
I do know that it won’t be long before someone tells you that driving a manual lorry is the same as driving a manual car so auto is best for training :unamused:

So you’re not disappointed! :smiley:

For passing your test, Auto is probably easier! (One less thing to think/worry about…)
However, :wink: that’s not going to help you when you’re thrown the keys to a 16 speed manual! :grimacing:

So you pays your money and takes your choice. Do you put all your eggs in one basket, and risk learning a manual whilst trying to pass your test, or do you pass your test and learn how to drive a manual later…

As for someone saying it’s the same as driving a car, that’s a new one on me! :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

tachograph:
I do know that it won’t be long before someone tells you that driving a manual lorry is the same as driving a manual car so auto is best for training :unamused:

For passing your test, Auto is probably easier! (One less thing to think/worry about…)
However, :wink: that’s not going to help you when you’re thrown the keys to a 16 speed manual! :grimacing:

So you pays your money and takes your choice. Do you put all your eggs in one basket, and risk learning a manual whilst trying to pass your test, or do you pass your test and learn how to drive a manual later…

As for someone saying it’s the same as driving a car, that’s a new one on me! :open_mouth:

Not the same as a car but the principals are the same = using a clutch to change gears

It seems from what you are saying that learners would need to master every type of manual :question:
If not saying that then what are you saying :question:

The massive missing link is with proper induction training. It’s frankly ridiculous to expect trainers to teach on every type of gearbox out there. Even if the equipment was available, I don’t believe that many candidates would be willing to pay for the additional time that would be involved - running into a few days and probably doubling the length of the course.

It is the employer’s responsibility to provide suitable training for each bit equipment to be used. This includes not only gearboxes but tail-lifts etc. I am sadly fully aware of what happens in the “real world” but it is all down to the employer. It’s their gearbox that will be wrecked and their tail lift that will be removed without benefit of spanners.

This situation can be tracked back to a) the removal of the traditional route into driving ie trailer boy/driver’s mate as well as the upsurge in agency work.

So work it out. The employer has decided to put his work through an agency and doesn’t want to provide suitable training to the driver. Who is at fault there?

I spend an inordinate amount of time explaining various gearboxes to folks, certainly not all my own customers. This demonstrates the mess that the industry has got itself into IMO.

Just my thoughts.

Could be worse

ROG:

Evil8Beezle:

tachograph:

Not the same as a car but the principals are the same = using a clutch to change gears

It seems from what you are saying that learners would need to master every type of manual :question:
If not saying that then what are you saying :question:

This argument about different types of gearbox just whitewashes the real issue, if a learner passes the test in an automatic they have not shown that they can handle a manual vehicle on the road.

Driving isn’t just about turning a steering wheel or moving a gear stick in a particular way, it’s about doing lots of things at the same time as driving in traffic in a safe and efficient manner, if you remove any one of those things you’re dumbing down the test to a point where the learner is not displaying what the test is supposed to be for.

Remember that bloke on this board who nearly had an accident on the test because he couldn’t handle a manual gearbox while pulling out at a roundabout, he passed in an auto because he was incapable of passing the test in a manual.

tachograph:
if a learner passes the test in an automatic they have not shown that they can handle a manual vehicle on the road.

But they have shown that if they passed car manual :exclamation: