Class 1 practical test

any tips anyone?

test is on a week today. training starts today. can anyone recommend and good youtube channels on this topic ? Many thanks in advance

Take turns slow especially roundabouts.
Watch the trailer wheels to see how close they are to curbs so you learn how wide you need to be. If you just go as wide as possible you will struggle when it comes to the tight stuff.

Reversing is simple just don’t be afraid to have a shunt even if you think you don’t need it. Seen people fail the reverse when they could of just driven forward and do a straight line reverse.

Have you checked out all the LGV CE info and videos contained within the link in my signature below :question:

Hopefully you’ve chosen a good trainer with a decent vehicle and proper reversing area. That being the case, relax and just listen to your instructor.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just relax, drive as you’ve been taught and enjoy it. I find even now thinking about driving the trucks is harder then just jumping in and actually driving the trucks. Thinking about it just works you up and gets you nervous take your time be safe and confident and you’ll be fine. I always enjoyed the reverse exercise and couple/uncouple and still do now [emoji846] good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don’t over complicate everything. Nerves will kick in but deep breaths and slow everything down if need be. Don’t let the emotions take hold of you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1dog:
any tips anyone?

Turn up! :smiley:

Best of luck pal and RELAX!!!

Pressure and stress are your enemy…

Thanks guys for taking time out and replying to my post.
I’ve taken everything on board with reference to the replies and after 10 hours training a lot of the above responses make sense; as in the time element, watching rear axle wheels and balancing nerves and emotions etc. its gunna be as hard as I wanna make it for myself.
in all honestly it is a tough pill to swallow however it is doable :slight_smile:

UPDATE:
I’M PARTICULARLY STRUGGLING WITH THE REVERSE EXERCISE ELEMENT OF THE TEST. STRUGGLING TO GET THAT ROUND MY HEAD IT IN ALL FAIRNESS. EVERYTHING ELSE, COUPLING/UNCOUPLING, DRIVING IM CONFIDENT WITH. IF ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS OR ADVICE ON THIS…THANK YOU

Finally those of you in the driving game, (I imagine you all are) take it steady and safe driving!
All the best onwards and upwards

Is it everything about reversing or just a part of the exercise?

Are you using a proper reversing area?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I found much the same thing - everything else makes sense, but the reverse is strange and seemingly difficult.

With hindsight, I think that is because you are unfamiliar with the peculiar sensation of losing sight in your mirrors as soon as you put a bend on. You don’t yet have the experience of knowing what that is supposed to look like or what you should expect to see, and the whole thing feels a bit alien. DON’T PANIC!

If you can, try to visualise what shape the lorry is in from above. That might help you understand where you are in relation to the obstacles, and what steering you need to do to correct things. There are a few techniques for figuring out the steering. My preference is to think about which way the bottom of the steering wheel is going. That tells me which way the back of the trailer is going.

If you can’t figure it out, it is possible to choreograph most of it, knowing exactly how many turns, what speed and for how long to get around the pre-set course.

You can then get out into the real world and learn how to reverse properly…

thanks again guys

just religiously read the replies and taken heed!!

fingers crossed for the morning :sunglasses:

Peter Smythe, yes using a proper reversing area.
struggles with 2nd stage of exercise as in when I get the unit and trailer straight and backing into the garage. its the steering from there onwards that keeps throwing me out!

Practice straight line reversing, then gentle curves. The bit from B cone to the garage will then be relatively easy.

right!
FAILED!
HOWEVER! yes it was not nice to fail.confidence boosted and I know I have massive chance of getting through next test which I managed to book in for 19th april, Wednesday.
today I failed with one serious and 4 minors. absolutely killed it however as I mentioned earlier the reverse screwed me up. anyway I will get this element mastered b4 the 19th and hopefully…i’ll say no more…

pls any input, updates, advice pls feel free

thanks again

Like you say, you clearly have a good chance of passing once you’ve mastered the reverse. So get plenty of practice and go for it.

Good luck,

Also get a toy truck and mark some cones out on the floor.

Practice with this and think what you need to do at each point. Which way to turn, which way you would be turning the wheel etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

ah good shout El Deano. I hear ya.
Peter thanks for ya kind words.
yes in process of looking inot getting some practice at work. I work for tnt so see what they say.
ive emailed the gaffer
at most he’ll say no
failing that i’ll book a few hours at lorry school
I use a firm called 1st link in Leicester
ill keep you guys copied

big love to all

Hi again all

Any of you guys no a hgv class 1 school close to the Leicester area that can sort me a couple hours tuition to master the reverse exercise on a saturday? I don’t mind the travel but not space ship miles lol
The school I have booked test through don’t have the reverse area available on a Saturday and I wanted to do this on a Saturday due to work commitments. my test is on the 19th and I’m free for a few hours on Saturday 10th

cheers