Experience??

Evening, just a quick one.

How is experience taken Into consideration? Do they check your tacho? Or check you history?
I am asking as I have been driving in the military for 6 years mainly class 1 all the time and we are exempt from the CPC so no need to have a tacho.
I have completed a PDP for the tankers both theory and practical so was looking to hopefully fall on my feet with that sort of job with firms like hoyer or dhl when I’m out in 6 months.

Cheers

If you try and tell a pack of lies, how long do you think that story will take to unravel mate? :laughing:
And if by chance you have landed a fuel gig as you intend, how long do you think you’ll be keeping it when the truth comes out? :wink:

I’d suggest you tell the truth mate, as once you’ve been sacked from one fuel job, you can probably kiss goodbye to getting another…

Not sure the OP was going to tell anything but the truth - just a matter of proving it. I would suggest some sort of confirmation letter from a senior officer would go a long way.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Chelseaalouette:
Evening, just a quick one.

How is experience taken Into consideration? Do they check your tacho? Or check you history?
I am asking as I have been driving in the military for 6 years mainly class 1 all the time and we are exempt from the CPC so no need to have a tacho.
I have completed a PDP for the tankers both theory and practical so was looking to hopefully fall on my feet with that sort of job with firms like hoyer or dhl when I’m out in 6 months.

Cheers

No need to prove anything, an assessor can tell within the first mile. If you have driven in the military for 6 years you will have no problem getting in with the likes of DHL/Hoyer. Make sure you get on the right contract, various shifts patterns and pay schedules.

After leaving the army after 14 years as a driver, I was told by the majority of potential employers that I still needed 2 years civilian commercial experiance that they could trace if needed. Most wouldn’t even give me an assessment drive, just said it’s an insurance thing, to be honest looking back I can see there point, I had no real clue about tacho/wtd laws etc

I wouldn’t tell them any untruths at interview, as said above an assessor will know straight away if you are suitable for class 1 or if you need more experiance

Part will depend on the date of C+E on your driving licence, won’t it? Alongside that, you may be asked to self-certify that you have completed at least 180 driving shifts in the previous two years. That is often a requirement for insurance purposes, and might be the one that catches ex-military drivers out initially. I’d be horrified if the taxpayers’ money is being spent employing soldiers to do so much Class 1 driving and not enough soldiering alongside… :open_mouth:

Your tacho card stores only a limited amount of information so could not be used to check your driving history.

Thanks for all your replies, as a recovery mechanic you are always using your wagon Dailey driving to and from repair shops or on the area as the RLC have got thereselves bogged in again so driving daily is a usual.
I’m going to work 2 weekends a month to keep in the WTD and hopefully can get in with some Good contacts.

ORC:
Your tacho card stores only a limited amount of information so could not be used to check your driving history.

12 months worth of data in many cases

Mick81:
After leaving the army after 14 years as a driver, I was told by the majority of potential employers that I still needed 2 years civilian commercial experiance that they could trace if needed. Most wouldn’t even give me an assessment drive, just said it’s an insurance thing, to be honest looking back I can see there point, I had no real clue about tacho/wtd laws etc

I wouldn’t tell them any untruths at interview, as said above an assessor will know straight away if you are suitable for class 1 or if you need more experiance

There’s plenty of civvy street drivers not got a clue about tacho’s/WTD aswell

Daytrunker:

Mick81:

There’s plenty of civvy street drivers not got a clue about tacho’s/WTD aswell

Agreed mate, it wasn’t just the tacho/wtd though, I’d never even hooked up an arctic when I left, test in a wagon and drag and mainly class 2 work when i was in, getting there now but still learning something new each day