Curtains in the wind

I had my first experience of how difficult it can be to do them up when it’s windy last night. What a nightmare, and it was only a 26t rigid… must be even more fun on an artic, not. Struggled like hell to pull it shut and the pole kept swinging about and just missing my head a few times. I didn’t have anywhere near to turn the wagon sides out the wind either which made it even more of a pain. I’m feeling the ache in my bones today as well.

Roll on Summer and hopefully less wind :slight_smile:

andy_s:
I had my first experience of how difficult it can be to do them up when it’s windy last night. What a nightmare, and it was only a 26t rigid… must be even more fun on an artic, not. Struggled like hell to pull it shut and the pole kept swinging about and just missing my head a few times. I didn’t have anywhere near to turn the wagon sides out the wind either which made it even more of a pain. I’m feeling the ache in my bones today as well.

Fun eh? :grimacing:

When you’re struggling with one, never EVER open both sides! :laughing:

And yeah, that pole bloody hurts… :imp:

Evil8Beezle:

andy_s:

Fun eh? :grimacing:

When you’re struggling with one, never EVER open both sides! :lol:

And yeah, that pole bloody hurts… :imp:

haha, now you tell me :grimacing:

One of our drivers got hit in the face with the pole the other day, you should see his eye it looks like he’s gone 12 rounds with Tyson. Very dangerous when windy.

Fella who delivered to our main farm, which is reasonably exposed in wind terms had his stomach opened up by his curtain pole.

Cue a trip to the hospital for some stitches and a few days off!

Been there, done that, don’t want to repeat it.

I certainly don’t miss curtain sides. Twice I got ■■■■■■■ by the pole at Palletforce. Knocked some sense into me mind I moved over to boxed trailers haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As beez said never open both sides at the same time if you are going to struggle with one. I’ve found that hooking a strap loosely about half way up curtain so it can still slide if needed but holds curtain close to body can help to get them closed if no one else is around to help. I’ve taken a couple hits off a pole in my short time but luckily nothing more then hurt pride! Be safe truckers! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climbing up and into the truck and shutting them most of the way from the inside i found easier.
And as other poster said don’t have both sides open at once.

Fannies. Try doing a chipliner in the wind. You have to open both sides. They also have thicker curtains and heavier poles than a standard curtain sider.

happysack:
Fannies. Try doing a chipliner in the wind. You have to open both sides. They also have thicker curtains and heavier poles than a standard curtain sider.

because your ■■■■■■■■ [emoji23][emoji23]

Sometimes you have no choice but to open both sides…Especially trying to strap some loads…Like some of the larger paper reels…Just keep your wits about you…Because it does smart a bit if you get caught with a pole or buckle…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
Sometimes you have no choice but to open both sides…Especially trying to strap some loads…Like some of the larger paper reels…Just keep your wits about you…Because it does smart a bit if you get caught with a pole or buckle…

True, but that doesn’t mean you have to open them all the way. Like you said, keep your wits about you, and think about what you are doing. Work smarter, not harder.

daftvader:

I’ve not had issues with just loosening the other off enough to do what you need and then retighten. Sorted [emoji846]do agree with keeping your wits about you as it’s not pleasant if the curtains get the better of you in high winds. I’d like to find low loader work now though as always been interested in that [emoji846]

UselessForce:

daftvader:

I’ve not had issues with just loosening the other off enough to do what you need and then retighten. Sorted [emoji846]do agree with keeping your wits about you as it’s not pleasant if the curtains get the better of you in high winds. I’d like to find low loader work now though as always been interested in that [emoji846]

Yeah i see what your saying…But some of the reels we carry don’t leave much gap between the reel and roof…Can be 3 or 4 inches…And there is’nt enough give in the top of the curtain for the strap to go over and down the other side…It normally bounces back onto the top of the reel…lol…

daftvader:

UselessForce:

daftvader:

Yeah i see what your saying…But some of the reels we carry don’t leave much gap between the reel and roof…Can be 3 or 4 inches…And there is’nt enough give in the top of the curtain for the strap to go over and down the other side…It normally bounces back onto the top of the reel…lol…

Fair enough, put it like that then there’s no other way but to get them both open, massive pain in the back side by the sounds of it but just be careful truckers especially in all this horrid weather we’ve been having [emoji846]

Curtain poles are 1 thing as a rule you can see the ■■■■ things,but a flying buckle is near invisible till it whacks you on the hand, usually cold hand which is worse bloody things.

Yep, thick gloves and vigilance are good friends :grimacing:

Quick tip for newbies. Once you have pulled your curtain back, bring a ’ fold ’ of curtain over the pole and use the strap/buckle on that fold to secure to the trailer edge. (I also strap one of the straps in the middle of the gathered up section to stop it ’ billowing ’ in the wind and inflicting a multiple buckle strike on you :wink: )

Sounds simple, but you can walk past the curtain without the pole taking your eye out or the buckles attacking you like a bunch of ninja’s.

eagerbeaver:
Yep, thick gloves and vigilance are good friends :grimacing:

Quick tip for newbies. Once you have pulled your curtain back, bring a ’ fold ’ of curtain over the pole and use the strap/buckle on that fold to secure to the trailer edge. (I also strap one of the straps in the middle of the gathered up section to stop it ’ billowing ’ in the wind and inflicting a multiple buckle strike on you :wink: )

Sounds simple, but you can walk past the curtain without the pole taking your eye out or the buckles attacking you like a bunch of ninja’s.

Should of thought about mentioning this, I always do this to the curtain I have open [emoji846] very good advice.