Rear stear axle advise ?!

So on Saturday I just found out I have the rear steer trailer. I have never driven one before, so any advise please would be much appreciated. Obviously driving forward it cuts in less ect, how about reversing, I am guessing more reactive ? Or do I lock the axle before reversing , if so how ? Many thanks.

ash 001:
So on Saturday I just found out I have the rear steer trailer. I have never driven one before, so any advise please would be much appreciated. Obviously driving forward it cuts in less ect, how about reversing, I am guessing more reactive ? Or do I lock the axle before reversing , if so how ? Many thanks.

Oh yeah, lot’s of pro rear steer trailer drivers on the Newbie forum… :wink:

Bellend! :grimacing:

Hello mate! :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I’m told, it’s the tail swing you have to watch when making a tight turn…
Never had anyone say anything really about the reversing, but I’d assume it’s a bit more reactive.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGYofstwLE

bpw.co.uk/downloads/technica … Series.pdf

viewtopic.php?t=9024

viewtopic.php?t=52967

ash 001:

Some lock automatically when you select reverse…If there is a button to pull to lock it off.It might be anywhere…Ours where at the rear o/s along with the park brake and lift axle…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rear steering depends on the trailer setup.
Get someone to run through it with you as there are quite a few options.
If it’s a lockable rear steer you need to have the wheels in a straight line before locking them off .

Thank you for the replies, I am probably worrying over nothing. I was on my phone so posted in the wrong section, I have now moved the post to the correct location :slight_smile:

Don’t do wat guy on services did he a was coming out an turned bit soon an managed rip the side vent off the new scania that was next to him he didn’t look too impressed haha

We have them.

Steer wider than you normally would as the trailer will likely be longer but watch for the rear swing out which will be more than you’re used to.

Make sure the rear axle is locked for reversing or pulling out of tight spaces.

Make sure the job you’re doing is compatible with the trailer.

Would be surprised you get given one without some training though.

Piratefish:
We have them.

Steer wider than you normally would as the trailer will likely be longer but watch for the rear swing out which will be more than you’re used to.

Make sure the rear axle is locked for reversing or pulling out of tight spaces.

Make sure the job you’re doing is compatible with the trailer.

Would be surprised you get given one without some training though.

I’ll put some more meat on the bone for the OP, as he’s a mate of mine.
He’s said on the other thread on the main forum that it’s a shorter trailer, more like an urban.
It’s a shop contract he’s on and will be coming into Southampton.
I’m guessing it’s going to be the underground deliveries at GunWharf Quay, and waiting to hear back from him.
I’ve warned him that depending on the bay it could be a pig, and maybe why he’s in a short rear-steer! :grimacing:

Fair do’s beyond my knowledge then.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Why lock the axle on reversing? The idea of a rear steer is to help reversing into tight places and getting out of one.
Don’t put too much lock reversing it will turn itself inside out rather quickly,take your time and once you get to grips with it be surprised where you can get in and out of.

I was sent out with a rear steer for an assessment, with no training. I failed…

Positioning for reverses is totally different, but I didn’t get enough experience to be able to explain how, or what the adjustment you need actually is.

Also, watch out where the outside rear corner is going when you have a bend on and are shuffling forward a tad. If you’re manoeuvring between lorries and you’re trying to re-position yourself you might steer to the right, for example, and before you know it your left rear corner has torn the side out of the truck next to you.

Rear steer needs treating with respect, don’t expect it to be the same, or obvious.

Thanks for the advice guys, it’s only a short 33ft twin axle trailer. it was bloody lovely to drive and I was just Over thinking it. Reversing wise it was just very re active, absolutely amazing where you can get the trailer. The two reverses I had to make were absolutely disgustingly tight I wouldn’t even dream of putting a rigid down there so pretty impressed with how I did today. Ile see if I’m so lucky in two weeks time again! :slight_smile: why do people say look the rear steer? I couldn’t physically do the drop I completed today without rear steer it would be impossible. Yes it steps out quite a bit when turning so have to be careful as you wouldn’t even know about wiping the guy out next to you!

Daytrunker:
Why lock the axle on reversing? The idea of a rear steer is to help reversing into tight places and getting out of one.
Don’t put too much lock reversing it will turn itself inside out rather quickly,take your time and once you get to grips with it be surprised where you can get in and out of.

Because some rear steering trailers are due to the extended length of the trailers i.e. Some trailers with moffets on the back have steering rear axels for going forward and have no bearing on getting into places in reverse. As said it depends on the type of system .

we have these trailers at my work, bit weird to get use too. ours can not be locked off, they are always working.

as i was taught (still pretty new to this hgv driving) the more lock you put on in the cab, the longer the rear wheels take to straighten back up, so little movements, or if its a tight turn, soon as its going where you need to, take lock off straight away.

took me ages to get use to them, either over steering or understeering them (still do sometimes)

but they are great for round town work and them silly tight laces you have to drive to…still prefer a full size tho lol

Yes it was great fun to drive forwards, as for the reversing just very small movements, to complete the blindside 90 degree turn I only needed about half a turn or just over to get it around the corner! I believe the axles people are talking about locking off are the ones that are normal on tri axle trailers and just move with the momentum of the trailer ect. They have no mechanism moving them so if you try to reverse with these ones without locking them off you will fail miserably and the trailer will just be crabbing because of the rear axle.