Failed assesment drive!

Gutted isn’t the word as I’d been virtually promised this job. I passed my class 2 first time last week with 1 minor ( I just got out to check the rear of the truck was in the yellow box )
I have held a Bus licence since 1991 and never had a serious accident. The assessor failed me for driving at or close to ( not over ) the speed limit !
This was on mainly wide single carriageways in a rural area I know extremely well.
I just drove like I did on my test last week making progress so as not to fail for undue hesitancy. Next time I’ll crawl round and probably fail for that. Lol
I’ve never failed one before in my life for buses, coaches, or 7.5 tonners.

Sorry to hear that. Some people are really picky tbh. A friend failed one at co op the guy was wanting him to do 20 in 30 mph roads and hold up traffic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cheers, ironically I’m often overtaken by this firms trucks whilst driving my coach along the local dual carriageway within the speed limit ! I imagine the assessors have to fail a certain percentage of applicants in order to justify their own jobs ?

fernando:
Cheers, ironically I’m often overtaken by this firms trucks whilst driving my coach along the local dual carriageway within the speed limit ! I imagine the assessors have to fail a certain percentage of applicants in order to justify their own jobs ?

It can be a petty as the assessor simply not liking you.

Radar19:

fernando:

It can be a petty as the assessor simply not liking you.

Or things have changed since the assessment was booked…

Just take it, as its not meant to be.probably an arsey jobsworth .Next job will be sound :wink:

I failed a assessment for being to safe. So they offered a to go on their academy which was less money

Dav36:
I failed a assessment for being to safe. So they offered a to go on their academy which was less money

Oh that old chestnut… :unamused:

I hope you told them where to stick it! :imp:

Evil8Beezle:

Dav36:

I said to the guy you told me you wanted a safe drive if you wanted a unsafe one I would have given you one I even did a good reverse. The academy was for 12 months never went back again

Sorry to hear that, must be pretty gutting.

Any chance you can give them a ring and see if they’ll get you in for a second go? Otherwise, as the others have said, just chalk it up as experience and get on with finding the next one.

Dav36:

Evil8Beezle:

Dav36:

I said to the guy you told me you wanted a safe drive if you wanted a unsafe one I would have given you one I even did a good reverse. The academy was for 12 months never went back again

Slavery .absolutel greed .No wonder truckers are so ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ off .

Dav36:

Who was that for?

When I started here I spent a week with their academy trainer getting shown and taught company policy however I’m on drivers wages for it.
On 2nd week of mentoring currently with final assessment on Friday.

I did assume being a Newby they’d wanna pay me less but even their new passes who’ve they trained and paid to take test for are on drivers wages instantly.

I love the fact they’ve trained a security guard up who’s been there years. He went and got his class 2 and they offered to pay for his class 1 which he’s got now. Out of one ■■■■ job into a good paying one for doing something like he was doing previously lol.

JaxDemon:

Dav36:

Who was that for?

When I started here I spent a week with their academy trainer getting shown and taught company policy however I’m on drivers wages for it.

I did assume being a Newby they’d wanna pay me less but even their new passes who’ve they trained and paid to take test for are on drivers wages instantly.

I love the fact they’ve trained a security guard up who’s been there years. He went and got his class 2 and they offered to pay for his class 1 which he’s got now. Out of one [zb] job into a good paying one for doing something like he was doing previously lol.

Owens in Newport said to me I’d have to out with another driver for a week have a assessment every 3 months for. Year then I’d be on full pay

Dav36:

JaxDemon:

Dav36:

Who was that for?

I love the fact they’ve trained a security guard up who’s been there years. He went and got his class 2 and they offered to pay for his class 1 which he’s got now. Out of one [zb] job into a good paying one for doing something like he was doing previously lol.

Owens in Newport said to me I’d have to out with another driver for a week have a assessment every 3 months for. Year then I’d be on full pay

Lol chancers. Issue is they’d get some mug who’s desperate to do it. What was the rate for that year?

Dav36:

JaxDemon:

Dav36:

Who was that for?

WAH A HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. …

christ, stop it, my sides hurt…

But seriously, that is shocking. I knew that some companies round here are scumbags, but that really plumbs new depths.

slowlane:

Any chance you can give them a ring and see if they’ll get you in for a second go? Otherwise, as the others have said, just chalk it up as experience and get on with finding the next one.

The TM promised he would give me a call yesterday to discuss that as He really wanted to employ me but he didn’t do so. Ahhh well its their loss as far as I’m concerned. I’ll probably do agency work for a bit and look for another full time position once I’ve got a bit of experience.

fernando:

slowlane:

The TM promised he would give me a call yesterday to discuss that as He really wanted to employ me but he didn’t do so. Ahhh well its their loss as far as I’m concerned. I’ll probably do agency work for a bit and look for another full time position once I’ve got a bit of experience.

Proves there is no driver shortage, and I bet plenty of applicants…
You didn’t make the grade this time, but you got something out of it. Experience!
Not really in driving, more in how to do a truck assessment tickbox. But it all counts…

A Newbie isn’t a ‘Fire and Forget’ experienced driver, so it’s harder to sell yourself, along with also knowing F all about the game.
A Newbie is also a risk, and possibly a liability, for more reasons than just being an F wit! :unamused:
Why on this planet would a Newbie think they can knock on the door of a quality gig?
It ain’t going to happen…

So any Newbie that goes agency needs to get used to being offered the work an experienced driver may consider hard graft for the return. You start at the bottom and work your way up…

I wish you all the best brother limper, and my advice for the best route to get class 1, considering the graft and potential, is pallets! Most firm run both classes side by side, and you’ll be isolated from class 1 in food service and a lot of other jobs…

Go in Peace brother! :sunglasses:

Evil8Beezle:

fernando:

slowlane:

Proves there is no driver shortage, and I bet plenty of applicants…
You didn’t make the grade this time, but you got something out of it. Experience!
Not really in driving, more in how to do a truck assessment tickbox. But it all counts…

A Newbie isn’t a ‘Fire and Forget’ experienced driver, so it’s harder to sell yourself, along with also knowing F all about the game.
A Newbie is also a risk, and possibly a liability, for more reasons than just being an F wit! :unamused:
Why on this planet would a Newbie think they can knock on the door of a quality gig?
It ain’t going to happen…

So any Newbie that goes agency needs to get used to being offered the work an experienced driver may consider hard graft for the return. You start at the bottom and work your way up…

I wish you all the best brother limper, and my advice for the best route to get class 1, considering the graft and potential, is pallets! Most firm run both classes side by side, and you’ll be isolated from class 1 in food service and a lot of other jobs…

Go in Peace brother! :sunglasses:

You make some good points and I’m certainly not that naïve to expect to walk straight into a “quality gig” which by the way it wasn’t - pallet network, long hours, etc.
I’m not averse to a bit of graft, in fact I’d welcome it as it helps to keep my ever expanding waistline in check !
I’ll drive dustcarts if I have to just to get a foot in the door so to speak.
One thing I did do on the assessment was to read the numberplate using the phonetic alphabet and the assessor asked if I was ex army ?
I said no but I had previously worked for the police ( not as an officer ) During the drive he did mention he’d had a bit of bother with the boys in blue whilst a young squaddie.
Whether this affected his decision I’ll never know but I’m putting it down to experience and wont mention policing at my next one.

If they’re a fair outfit then this should not be permanent. Companies will often allow failed applicants back for another assessment after they have had a little time to rectify whatever ‘fault’ was found by the assessor.

I had an assessment for a company who had a policy of doing them with rear-steer trailers. I had never driven rear-steer, I was given no training, no time to learn how it behaves (very different, requiring different positioning for a tight reverse…as I discovered during the assessment). I even had to do a blindside reverse, which caught me out because the trailer swung in a way I was not expecting.

I failed…

But I asked about coming back and the assessor said to give it six months, get my experience and confidence up, then give it another go…

I won’t.