Brakes - Why the bad rep?

Hi guys,

I’m about to start my class 2 training with the hope of getting a job at the end of it.

There does seem to be a reasonable amount of work around my area at the moment including a vacancy at Brakes, which seems to be one of the better paid positions.

I have noticed on here that a lot of people are saying to steer clear of Brakes. I was just wondering why that is? Is there anything specific about them that makes them a bit so good employer?

And should I steer clear of them being a new driver?

Because people are scared of a bit of graft.

Because I’m fat, lazy and frightened of having a heart attack! :smiley:
Gotta go, my Big Mac and fries are getting cold… :grimacing:

indeed.co.uk/cmp/Brakes/reviews

They basically take the p**s big time out of their employees, allegedly

Tommy7437:
https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Brakes/reviews

This is the the problem. People want the good wage for doing nothing. They don’t pay near on 30k driving a class 2 truck for you to sit on your arse doing nothing.

And of course the shop staff are lazy why would they help you do the job you’re being paid for?

He’s also working through his breaks and fiddling paperwork. No one’s forcing him to do that. It’s like he can’t say no.

At all places you’ve got to stand up for yourself. It’s your licence.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:

Tommy7437:

This is the the problem. People want the good wage for doing nothing. They don’t pay near on 30k driving a class 2 truck for you to sit on your arse doing nothing.

And of course the shop staff are lazy why would they help you do the job you’re being paid for?

He’s also working through his breaks and fiddling paperwork. No one’s forcing him to do that. It’s like he can’t say no.

Which brakes depot did you work out of?

That’s the way it looked to me from the outside, people not willing to put the graft in.
If that’s all it is then that won’t put me off. The way I see it it’s almost better to be thrown in at the deep end because you learn faster.

jonnyboat:

JaxDemon:

Tommy7437:

Which brakes depot did you work out of?

I’ve not worked for Brakes. I know a guy who was there for 30 years. I worked at Palmer and Harveys.

LGroves84:
That’s the way it looked to me from the outside, people not willing to put the graft in.
If that’s all it is then that won’t put me off. The way I see it it’s almost better to be thrown in at the deep end because you learn faster.

Think of it as free gym membership! :grimacing:

Yeah will keep me fit for sure.

Are they willing to take on newly qualified drivers does anyone know? I suppose it’s more down to the boss of each depot really.

LGroves84:
Yeah will keep me fit for sure.

Are they willing to take on newly qualified drivers does anyone know? I suppose it’s more down to the boss of each depot really.

Yes, and I think its actually more to do with your attitude than anything else… :wink:
Along with keen, clean and responsible looking!

LGroves84:

Not worked for brakes but similar. If you’re an early riser… great. If you aren’t the early starts will kill you. The job is physical but that wasn’t an issue for me. As someone else said you have to stand up for yourself… if you don’t you will get the run everybody hates. You’ve been warned :slight_smile:

Which Brakes depot are you looking at applying for? Most of them take people on with no experience and it depends where you work how bad it is working wise. I heard multi-drop in one area start times 4-6am and finish times 12-4pm (anything after 3pm a really late day).

Shift patterns Mon-Sat with a day off midweek then Mon-Fri the following week or Tues-Sat is the other one. So if you don’t mind hard graft and working all bank holidays included in your salary as monthly pay then all is good. Plus only days off over Xmas and New Years is them 2 days and your usual weekly days off.

It will be the Bridgwater depot.

As for early starts it’s not a problem for me, I’ve been starting at 6am and working 12hr days for the last 8 years so guess you could say I’m a morning person so that doesn’t bother me.

Didn’t know Brakes had a Bridgwater depot. I know the Highbridge one has moved to Portbury.

I can tell you there recruitment process is long winded, I applied December 12th 2016, got an interview January 27th 2017, then got an assessment drive on 14th February 2017, still waiting to hear the outcome of my application.
If your not looking to start work until next year its perfect.

Did 3 years at tamworth,yes it is hard graft but as a new starter you will get multi drop handball jobs BUT not on brakes money,
Depends what brakes you do either food service (pubs schools hospitals shops) with 20-50 drops a day or bulk 6-10 drops a day but full cages and pallets of frozen all handball aswell.
Depends how far away which area you are delivering to,some from tamworth drove down to brackley and MK did days drops then back or Northampton or Leicester.
Give it a go as employers see you have worked for brakes so your not shy of a bit of graft.
Plus points are tea coffee and food on your run,Plenty of eye candy about(New cross hospital in summer was a place to have a break lol ),beer cakes wine and cash come christmas if your on a regular run.

silverman:
Didn’t know Brakes had a Bridgwater depot. I know the Highbridge one has moved to Portbury.

The job description says its at Highbridge so there must be some sort of hub there, even if its not one of their main depots.

thehig:
I can tell you there recruitment process is long winded, I applied December 12th 2016, got an interview January 27th 2017, then got an assessment drive on 14th February 2017, still waiting to hear the outcome of my application.
If your not looking to start work until next year its perfect.

Maybe I should apply before I take my test then there might be a job waiting when I pass :laughing:

Highbridge was their main depot round here. If it’s all not moved to Portbury yet it will be very soon.