Pertemps Driving Academy

Im a freshly passed Class 2 driver and have been told by a DHL TM today that I will need to attend a days course at Pertemps Driving Academy in Crick if I want to drive Class 2 for him and one of the several contracts he runs. DHL rules for newbies apparently.

I am registered with a couple of agencies (Pertemps being one of them). They have offered me a place on a course on Friday, but am in 2 minds whether to go as it is 4 hours drive to get there.
I have spoke to loads of companies today and most would be interested in my availability once business picks up towards Easter. I’m just itching to get driving whilst on my stand down period from other job on boat. I’m available to drive 2 weeks out of every month.

Anyone on here done this training course in Crick? Do you think it’s worth doing? Or should I just be patient as it will pick up soon.

Ta.

Be patient .as this pertemps thing will cost somewhere .They are parasites tbf .

Where do you live ?

Ramon123:
Where do you live ?

Plymouth mate.

Cov:
Be patient .as this pertemps thing will cost somewhere .They are parasites tbf .

The course is free., but have to pay for digs and fuel.

Cov:
Be patien

I live in Plymouth as well. They told me similar when I enquired about driving for them when I renewed my hgv last year mate. I have registered with a few other local ones. Driver Hire out Saltash way are worth calling although they try and push you to self employed and would probably have you out multi dropping loads on transits or maybe 7.5 tonners (not my cup of tea personally). Best Connection might help down union street. The one that got me my break was WB Employment Plymouth, again though, I told Pete there I didn’t want small multi vehicle 100 drops a day stuff so took a month or two till I got a break. Done a few days with them and just started a hectic week with a local haulage company on class 2 through WB.

If you’re in Plymouth, have a look around Lee Mill industrial estate. You’ve got Bidvest there for a start…

Evil8Beezle:
If you’re in Plymouth, have a look around Lee Mill industrial estate. You’ve got Bidvest there for a start…

Done a few tips there. Don’t seem to be a bad bunch compared to some of the other tips I do, swings and roundabouts I guess.

andy_s:
I live in Plymouth as well. They told me similar when I enquired about driving for them when I renewed my hgv last year mate. I have registered with a few other local ones. Driver Hire out Saltash way are worth calling although they try and push you to self employed and would probably have you out multi dropping loads on transits or maybe 7.5 tonners (not my cup of tea personally). Best Connection might help down union street. The one that got me my break was WB Employment Plymouth, again though, I told Pete there I didn’t want small multi vehicle 100 drops a day stuff so took a month or two till I got a break. Done a few days with them and just started a hectic week with a local haulage company on class 2 through WB.

Hi pal. I’m registered with WB and am heading to Driver Hire tomorrow afternoon. The issue lies with me being only available for 2 weeks every month I think. I’m also with Backline, Logitech in Exeter and Pertemps as fore mentioned. All of which claimed to have had plenty of work before I registered… Bugger all so far.

Evil8Beezle:

I’m heading up that way in the morning. I’m just hoping someone will want to utilise my time off from other job. The work is there it’s just a matter of them wanting me 2 weeks out of 4 only.

Be careful about trying to pick and choose. As a newbie you might be better off taking whatever opportunities you can get.

For the sake of a bit of a drive (and presumably you love driving given the career path you’re choosing :wink: ) it will open doors that are otherwise closed to you. There may not be many doors around at your early career stage. DHL have lots of depots and contracts. If the assessment carries for all DHL depots then you may find you open up a lot of options.

I did the assessment with Pertemps at Crick before they offered me any work.

I passed the assessment and they never offered me work.

When I popped into the office the manager refused to see me and sent some lacky who asked me they thought I was not looking for work…

I am still waiting for their call, sitting at home…patiently

In the meantime will be doing a 0100 run to Glasgow tomorrow with the QS recruitment who have kept me busy despite some work being a bit out of the way.

Maybe things will change when I will have my C+E Licence first anniversary in July

ORC:
DHL have lots of depots and contracts. If the assessment carries for all DHL depots then you may find you open up a lot of options.

I’ll second that statement!
I’ve a mate that started on a crap DHL contract, and has now swapped to a decent DHL contract…

DHL Depots in Exeter seem pretty busy, Backline usually always have work. They’ve pestered me for a while to do work for them. Tried PRS recruitment in sowton pal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for an interview with Pertemps today and he has advised doing their academy course.

He says that they don’t charge for it, though I will be reading the paperwork before I agree to go.

He said they use it to get round driver negligence insurance requirements. It can then get new passes into jobs they wouldn’t otherwise be able. I don’t know how true it is but that’s what he told me.

Final thing he said was don’t be fussy as a new pass and take anything going to get time on my card. I already know this but after talking to him I wonder if the academy is to get new pass drivers into “premium” contracts which the company pays Pertemps a higher rate for but they pay the driver bottom rate as they are new and can pocket the difference.

It may not be the case but if that academy is free it needs paying for somehow

kcrussell25:
I went for an interview with Pertemps today and he has advised doing their academy course.

He says that they don’t charge for it, though I will be reading the paperwork before I agree to go.

He said they use it to get round driver negligence insurance requirements. It can then get new passes into jobs they wouldn’t otherwise be able. I don’t know how true it is but that’s what he told me.

Final thing he said was don’t be fussy as a new pass and take anything going to get time on my card. I already know this but after talking to him I wonder if the academy is to get new pass drivers into “premium” contracts which the company pays Pertemps a higher rate for but they pay the driver bottom rate as they are new and can pocket the difference.

I agree with your scepticism about getting a free lunch. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a catch.
He said you didn’t have to pay for it, but did he also say you’d then be on normal rates? :wink:
I’d check it all out very carefully, as even if some firms have insisted on Newbies doing a competence course, I really can’t see it not being passed on as a cost to the recipient… :cry:

Best of luck! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

kcrussell25:

I agree with your scepticism about getting a free lunch. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a catch.
He said you didn’t have to pay for it, but did he also say you’d then be on normal rates? :wink:
I’d check it all out very carefully, as even if some firms have insisted on Newbies doing a competence course, I really can’t see it not being passed on as a cost to the recipient… :cry:

Best of luck! :smiley:

I am only after ad hoc work until I (hopefully) pass class 1. Rate would depend on the job. Some more, some less. I have a feeling as new pass it would be the less!

For me it more about time on my card than money at this stage so will see what happens.

Just wanted to update this tread for others

Interesting replies. Cheers.

Update on my situation…
I opted not to go on the course which was offered (would have been today). My reason for this, is because a couple of other agencies have started to get me some work. I’m only looking for driving work for 2 weeks out of a month because of my other job on a boat.

Hopefully plod along getting experience with alternative agencies rather than Pertemps for now.

Done my first day Class 2 today.

L4Y3R:
Interesting replies. Cheers.

Update on my situation…
I opted not to go on the course which was offered (would have been today). My reason for this, is because a couple of other agencies have started to get me some work. I’m only looking for driving work for 2 weeks out of a month because of my other job on a boat.

Hopefully plod along getting experience with alternative agencies rather than Pertemps for now.

Done my first day Class 2 today.

Nice one mate. I didn’t bother with Pertemps either and doing alright to get the experience from other agencies. Who did you work for today?

I had the pleasure of working for Palmer and Harvey today. Driving was fine, just hard bloody work hand balling. Paperwork was a mare as well. Through Driver Hire.

They have me on a Bidvest route on Monday. Apparently, only a couple of drops in Taunton (from Plymouth).

We’ll see. Haha.

But we still don’t know if they charge for it, or heaven forbid, is an agency attempting to be responsible & raise standards? :laughing:

If they are doing it free gratis, it probably won’t last if Newbies just go elsewhere to get their experience… :neutral_face:

I can’t believe I’m potentially singing the praises of an agency? :open_mouth: