18 Years Old - Looking for work

Hi! I am a newbie on this forum and thank you for adding me! I live in Mid Wales but I am keen to travel where ever for work.
I have the Category C entitlement and this week will probably be doing my driver CPC mod 4 training and test.
What I want to know is there any work for an 18 year old like me. I would do anything to get into trucking and I have wanted to do it ever since I was born it feels like. :laughing:
Anyone got any advice?
Andy

:smiley: :smiley:

Pallet network stuff would likely give you a start. It can be a bit of a baptistism of fire but its a way into the industry.

Hi Guys. Thank you for your feedback. I will try and get into it.
Cheers,
Andy

Sorry you have haven’t had much feedback or advice mate, so I’ll chip in even though it was many moons ago that I was 18, and I’ve got undercrackers older than you! :wink:

I guess you know that you’re going to have a bit of an uphill battle at your age, partially because of insurance issues, and employers may view you as (how can I say this) Young, Dumb and full of ■■■! :laughing: You need to remember that they are letting you loose in an expensive bit of kit, and you can cause carnage with it. As such, I guess a lot may view you (as a very young driver) as having a lot to learn and be a possible tearaway, without fear or sense. For example i was a right bellend when I was 18, and I’m not much better now! :open_mouth:

So first off I suggest you do your very best to come across a bit of boring git, mature beyond your years, and not some gobby little git like I was. Next I think you have to accept that someone who’s going to give you a start is having to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Sorry but I think that’s going to be the case… :unamused: So I’d concentrate on jobs that require graft, and the harder the graft, the less an older driver wants to do it. :wink:

I’m sure you’ve seen the threads about food service delivery with the likes of Brakes, P&H, Bidvest (3663) and some others. But there are other sectors as well that a lot of drivers down’t want to do, and home delivery probably falls within that scope. I’ve a mate who at 20 started with Next doing home deliveries ■■■■■■■ mainly furniture into peoples homes, and I myself have been offered agency work doing BathStore, which I declined, as I’m buggered if I’m ■■■■■■■ ceramics and baths up peoples stairs… :laughing:

Hopefully that should help pal, and sorry it’s not a bed of roses the picture I’m painting, but I don’t do tactful… :open_mouth:

Best of luck though mate, and perseverance and persistence are probably your best assets at your tender age! :smiley:
(Blimey, I feel like I’m grooming you now! :open_mouth:)

Evil8Beezle:
Sorry you have haven’t had much feedback or advice mate, so I’ll chip in even though it was many moons ago that I was 18, and I’ve got undercrackers older than you! :wink:

I guess you know that you’re going to have a bit of an uphill battle at your age, partially because of insurance issues, and employers may view you as (how can I say this) Young, Dumb and full of ■■■! :laughing: You need to remember that they are letting you loose in an expensive bit of kit, and you can cause carnage with it. As such, I guess a lot may view you (as a very young driver) as having a lot to learn and be a possible tearaway, without fear or sense. For example i was a right bellend when I was 18, and I’m not much better now! :open_mouth:

So first off I suggest you do your very best to come across a bit of boring git, mature beyond your years, and not some gobby little git like I was. Next I think you have to accept that someone who’s going to give you a start is having to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Sorry but I think that’s going to be the case… :unamused: So I’d concentrate on jobs that require graft, and the harder the graft, the less an older driver wants to do it. :wink:

I’m sure you’ve seen the threads about food service delivery with the likes of Brakes, P&H, Bidvest (3663) and some others. But there are other sectors as well that a lot of drivers down’t want to do, and home delivery probably falls within that scope. I’ve a mate who at 20 started with Next doing home deliveries ■■■■■■■ mainly furniture into peoples homes, and I myself have been offered agency work doing BathStore, which I declined, as I’m buggered if I’m ■■■■■■■ ceramics and baths up peoples stairs… :laughing:

Hopefully that should help pal, and sorry it’s not a bed of roses the picture I’m painting, but I don’t do tactful… :open_mouth:

Best of luck though mate, and perseverance and persistence are probably your best assets at your tender age! :smiley:
(Blimey, I feel like I’m grooming you now! :open_mouth:)

Thank you! That was amusing to read but is very truthful. Thanks for your feedback! See you around. Andy

andy02016:
Thank you! That was amusing to read but is very truthful. Thanks for your feedback! See you around. Andy

Well best of luck mate, and the other bit of advice I’ll give you if you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get a start.
Is to remember that it’s your licence, your points, and your fine! :imp:
So don’t do anything bent if your only option is what possibly appears to be a dodgy operator…

Best of luck! :smiley: