LEARNING HGV

do you think i.m still young enough to learn to drive a HGV at 45 coming 46 years old?

martyn3:
do you think i.m still young enough to learn to drive a HGV at 45 coming 46 years old?

Absolutely go for it.

martyn3:

I’m 52 mate and have just passed my theory, hazard, and practical class 2 all first time. If anything I feel that age and experience is a positive influence. I certainly feel more confident and less cocky now than I did in my twenties.

fernando:

martyn3:

I’m 52 mate and have just passed my theory, hazard, and practical class 2 all first time. If anything I feel that age and experience is a positive influence. I certainly feel more confident and less cocky now than I did in my twenties.

that’s what I was thinking I am more mature now. and no so cocky like I was in my twenties.

I started at 46, after thirty years in an office job. It’s never too late to learn. Good luck! :slight_smile:

ORC:
I started at 46, after thirty years in an office job. It’s never too late to learn. Good luck! :slight_smile:

thank you.

I agree with what others have said, go for it and good luck.

Do check out how much work is available in your area first though, there may be plenty of decent paying available work in some areas but that doesn’t appear to be the case in all areas.

No issue at your age mate, and it’s a common question with the same answer.
I think the only real advice is possible don’t set your sights on doing food service delivery for the likes of Brakes and P&H! :grimacing:
And if the physical aspect is of a particular concern, become a lazy git and get your class 1…

tachograph:

Do check out how much work is available in your area first though, there may be plenty of decent paying available work in some areas but that doesn’t appear to be the case in all areas.

Depends if you wanna work for Jewsons as their always looking :wink:

No problem at all. I did mine at 44. If circumstances and money allow, I’ll do class 1 or bus around 50. The only downside was I’d developed 21 years of bad habits since I’d last done a test :unamused:

One of our lady drivers just done her c+e at 62 [emoji106]

Evil8Beezle:
No issue at your age mate, and it’s a common question with the same answer.
I think the only real advice is possible don’t set your sights on doing food service delivery for the likes of Brakes and P&H! :grimacing:
And if the physical aspect is of a particular concern, become a lazy git and get your class 1…

I renewed my hgv class 1 last year at 55, and take the above thinking on board. I want the experience so I can move up to class 1 again, but I’m staying with class 2 and told the agencies I’ve registered with what my limitations are physically so they don’t call me about anything too manual… limits my opportunities a bit but my health comes first (my back isn’t as strong as it once was).

nick2008:

tachograph:

Depends if you wanna work for Jewsons as their always looking :wink:

‘For a reason’… :imp:

martyn3:

I really don’t understand this type of thinking, maybe I’ve had a relatively easy life (first marriage was at 36 and I’ve no kids) so I still think and generally act like I’m in my twenties, It’s only when i pass a mirror I realise I’m in my forties.

Mods 1, 2, 3 & 4 all passed first time at 47.

Nobby_Clarke:
No problem at all. I did mine at 44. If circumstances and money allow, I’ll do class 1 or bus around 50. The only downside was I’d developed 21 years of bad habits since I’d last done a test :unamused:

I am going to go for it got my assessment in a months time.

martyn3:

Nobby_Clarke:

Well welcome then brother to the world of silly start times, long unknown shift lengths, and more hours than you want! :grimacing:
As that’s the next thing a Newbie needs to appreciate about this game, when thinking of entering…

Just saying/warning you to avoid nasty surprises! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

martyn3:

Nobby_Clarke:

Well welcome then brother to the world of silly start times, long unknown shift lengths, and more hours than you want! :grimacing:
As that’s the next thing a Newbie needs to appreciate about this game, when thinking of entering…

Just saying/warning you to avoid nasty surprises! :smiley:

yes I have been told about that part to. I still wanna do me license tho.

martyn3:

fernando:

martyn3:

that’s what I was thinking I am more mature now. and no so cocky like I was in my twenties.

got my assessment drive in a months time.

ORC:

did you find work okay to?

martyn3:

Hello Mate,
Just picked up your post.
Age has nothing to do with being a Truck driver, it is all about “attitude”, to the job, to other road users,to the equipment you handle.
Why do you think new drivers allways got the old truck, the difficult job, the odd hours, (shifts) etc, it is to establish there “attitude”.
Avoid the Caf culture, take each bumpy ride as part of the ongoing training and ask plenty of drivers for advise, then make your own mind up as to what to do.
This bit you may not like, keep it in your pants and look after you family, you need a good home life to make it all work.
HGV for48 years and still do Sundays for fun at 72. Good Fortune!!, Harvey