Failed HGV test 3 times....Need advice

After doing a 5 day course with A class in Kent my confidence was high going into my first test, however due to someone parking on a roundabout I ended up hitting a curb and failing, 2 serious 10 minors. Second test I misread a sign which lead to a serious and apparently I was “in the wrong gear” while going round an S bend, personally I found that one hard to believe as the lorry was moving smoothly but the examiner had other ideas, another 2 serious but 5 minors
On my 3rd test I had nailed everything, the maneuver the drive but 10 minutes into the independent drive I approached a roundabout, all was clear but as I set off someone came speeding into the roundabout but I didn’t see it in time and the examiner said “stop stop stop”. Annoyingly that was my only serious mistake and I hadn’t picked up a minor either.

Now that I’ve failed 3 times it’s knocked my confidence and I’m starting to think whether I should do another test or not. I’m thinking of doing a few lessons then trying again but I don’t want to put more money into it all only to fail again.

Driving lorries is something I seriously want to do and I’ve been waiting ages to even start the practical due to other mods. Question is I just don’t know what to do now. Do I take more lessons ? or am I just not good enough lol.

I’ll appreciate any advice given to me, please be honest.

Sounds like you are improving so I’d say go for it.
Also sounds like you wasn’t ready for the test to begin with so I’d question why your instructor would put you in if he didn’t think you was ready.

It is stressful but just get it out the way or you will end up regretting it.

Those do not seem to be the same errors each time so I say - do it again

SN0WM4N_:
After doing a 5 day course with A class in Kent my confidence was high going into my first test, however due to someone parking on a roundabout I ended up hitting a curb and failing, 2 serious 10 minors. Second test I misread a sign which lead to a serious and apparently I was “in the wrong gear” while going round an S bend, personally I found that one hard to believe as the lorry was moving smoothly but the examiner had other ideas, another 2 serious but 5 minors
On my 3rd test I had nailed everything, the maneuver the drive but 10 minutes into the independent drive I approached a roundabout, all was clear but as I set off someone came speeding into the roundabout but I didn’t see it in time and the examiner said “stop stop stop”. Annoyingly that was my only serious mistake and I hadn’t picked up a minor either.

Now that I’ve failed 3 times it’s knocked my confidence and I’m starting to think whether I should do another test or not. I’m thinking of doing a few lessons then trying again but I don’t want to put more money into it all only to fail again.

Driving lorries is something I seriously want to do and I’ve been waiting ages to even start the practical due to other mods. Question is I just don’t know what to do now. Do I take more lessons ? or am I just not good enough lol.

I’ll appreciate any advice given to me, please be honest.

which test centre did you use?

Snowman in your area there is company called John Flair Lgv. You should have gone with them. I am not saying the trainer you choose is bad or anything. I am just saying the money soon mounts up incase if you fail more than 2 to 3 times and this company lgv flair has this thing called unlimited training and you only pay for the test fees incase if you fail. I would love to choose that option but I got small car and that place is like 200+ miles away. Good luck now you have come this far so might as well do it all the way.

jeffuk13:

The test centre in Gillingham

Never, ever give up :exclamation: :wink:

Ramon123:
Never, ever give up :exclamation: :wink:

+1 you come all this way so you just as well carry on dude. You’ve done the hardest part and adjusted from driving a car to a truck you just need to nail that test now bud. Good luck :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To date i have passed car, bike, class 1 and class 2 all first time.

Hope this helps

SuperMultiBlue:

Hope this helps

Yeah that will make him feel alot better as he has failed 3 times…lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

SuperMultiBlue:

Hope this helps

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Forgot to add reach and cb flt… first time :laughing:

Now your rubbing his nose in it…

SN0WM4N_:

jeffuk13:

The test centre in Gillingham

I looked at where you were and I guessed you were at Gillingham. I feel your pain my friend. I’m a veteran of two re-tests there. If one of the examiners was an old miserable bloke with a drinker’s nose, don’t count that one. If I didn’t quite hear his instruction he wouldn’t repeat it, I’d look at him for a response and he’d be just gawping at me. which led me to being stranded in the box outside the fire station. Horrible git he was. Examiners two and three were much better. First retest was my own fault. Third time lucky.
Gillingham isn’t easy. It’s a pain getting out the test station. Just as you start to go something comes wanging round the blind corner, and it’s all roundabouts.

Keep at it and good luck :smiley:

SuperMultiBlue:
To date im a grade a prat
Hope this helps

Re book and pass it 4th time round.dont give up now pal :wink:

Cheers for all the replies and positivity everyone, It’s generally helped me.

I’m gonna ring em up tomorrow and see about doing a lesson or 2 before test day. hopefully I’ll pass 4th time round :smiley: :smiley:

SuperMultiBlue:

daftvader:

SuperMultiBlue:

Hope this helps

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Forgot to add reach and cb flt… first time [emoji38]

You forgot to mention that you also passed your brain dead window lickers certificate…

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

Evil8Beezle:

SuperMultiBlue:

daftvader:

SuperMultiBlue:

Hope this helps

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Forgot to add reach and cb flt… first time [emoji38]

You forgot to mention that you also passed your brain dead window lickers certificate…

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

If you can’t brag on the internet where can you!?! :laughing:

Surprised my stalker’s not shown up and chipped in yet… probably made him feel small again :slight_smile:

SN0WM4N_:

That’s how I approached go number 3. I’d told myself if i failed I wasn’t pumping more money in. I turned up and everything went right on the day. The first two were weekday around 9, which is a bad time. I booked the last one early on a Saturday morning, which helps around Gillingham and it’s roundabouts

Have you considered taking the test in an auto. Enough to think about without a manual gearbox complicating things