Reverse Practice at PSTT

I am sure that people on here saw Pete’s offer for some free reverse training. I have my C&E booked with him in a couple of weeks so sent a message asking for the chance of a go. He agreed and I went yesterday.

Once I arrived the reverse area was in use for a test so Pete said I could try the coupling exercise while we waited. I was happy with this as all practice counts. I was doing it in the drawbar as have booked the “easy” option for my test.

Pete demonstrated and I then tried to repeat what he had shown. First thing I will say for anyone who has this coming up in the drawbar is that when they say line up straight, do it! If you go in at an angle the pin won’t drop properly and if your really unlucky it will jam so it won’t release either. You then end up where no amount of kicking, rocking or even swearing helps :blush: I think it took about 20 minutes to get the pin engaged fully.

After this it was over to the reverse area to start practice. Firstly a couple of goes straight back and then back putting some bends in. Ok so far and then Pete says lets try the test maneuver. So it is pull forward and line up to the extreme left of the box. I then managed to hit the “B” cone pulling forward! :blush: At this point I think Pete is going to ask to see my licence again to actually check I know how to drive a truck! To be fair he was very patient and stood up the cone and I had a go and first attempt went really well. so then it was have another go with less help where I hit the cone. Then another go where I was out of place and knew it but kept going wanting to wait to take the shunt. Mistake as I ended up crossing the line on the left. Lesson there is if you need the shunt take it!

Then had another couple of goes and went well and I feel happy in terms of completing the test reverse fine so it was a good way to spend a morning.

I would like to thank Pete for offering the chance to do it and wish Stuart well with his instructor training.

Final point is that I now understand why Pete does make a big deal of his reverse area as doing it with a proper marked area made the world of difference in terms of reference points and where to turn. Trying that on a plain yard would have been far harder than was needed. I see posts on here worrying about the reverse and will admit it was on my mind, but with proper markings and training I don’t see the need to be worried about it.

Thanks Kev

kcrussell25:
I then managed to hit the “B” cone pulling forward!

Poor cone :cry: :cry: :cry:

ROG:

kcrussell25:
I then managed to hit the “B” cone pulling forward!

Poor cone :cry: :cry: :cry:

It wasn’t quite that bad Rog, just a “nudge” to knock it over

Just to point out the reason it took so long to couple up the trailer; the exercise was about training a new instructor. So when mistakes were made I allowed them to develop so that the trainee instructor could see what would eventually happen. There is no way it would normally take anything like as long to get coupled. But I thank Kev for his patience in dealing with the mess I allowed him to get into!

Has to be said that the reversing was conquered very quickly.

This all amounts to a good headstart for the course.

Good luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s probably the only downside of coupling a drawbar to get perfectly straight compared to a artic, the secret is to pull forward if your not perfectly straight in line with the trailer and start again.

It’s surprising how many candidates panic on test and reverse on to the trailer at a slight angle and make hard work getting the pin down.

The best purchase I made recently was a reversing camera facing towards the coupling, I can’t begin to explain how easy this makes it now.

Paul

elmet training:
That’s probably the only downside of coupling a drawbar to get perfectly straight compared to a artic, the secret is to pull forward if your not perfectly straight in line with the trailer and start again.

It’s surprising how many candidates panic on test and reverse on to the trailer at a slight angle and make hard work getting the pin down.

The best purchase I made recently was a reversing camera facing towards the coupling, I can’t begin to explain how easy this makes it now.

Paul

Is this allowed on a test or does it have to be disconnected for tests?

htfc1984:

elmet training:

Paul

Is this allowed on a test or does it have to be disconnected for tests?

Allowed for test

Absolutely allowed for test and anything that helps has got to be good. Personally I find we don’t have issues as we have other methods to assist but credit due to Paul for going down that route.

Without question this is the one disadvantage to training and testing on w+d. But it is considerably easier going forwards. And, in most folks opinion, that’s what makes w+d a good option.

Said it dozens of times; IMO there’s no right or wrong. Whatever the customer wants is what he should have. We’re happy to offer both options.

wish Stuart well with his instructor training

Very happy that Stuart trained someone else today with zero trailer experience. That person can now reverse a CE to test standard. As a result, Stuart has been “signed off” as far as reversing is concerned. One more person to train in the morning just to make sure and for extra practice. We have a volunteer candidate next week for reverse training on a full size artic but this wont be a problem.

Plenty more to do - but let’s just enjoy the moment!!

If you do your test on a drawbar don’t you get a 102 code on your C+E entitlement ■■

If you do your test on a drawbar don’t you get a 102 code on your C+E entitlement ■■

Used to be the case but they changed the rules about 20 years ago. So anyone can pass on a drawbar and gain a CE licence which will cover artic. And vice versa. Whether that should be the case is another issue - but it is the current rule.

Just to elaborate as Peter says their are other means to get lined upto the trailer which I use as well.

The camera comes into its own for that last meter when you steer exactly onto the coupling matching the pin to the towing eye precisely and then you can also see the lever has totally come down before getting out saving a bit of messining about.

Paul

you can also see the lever has totally come down before getting out saving a bit of messining about.

That is a benefit I hadn’t thought of. Might follow suit.

Peter Smythe:

you can also see the lever has totally come down before getting out saving a bit of messining about.

That is a benefit I hadn’t thought of. Might follow suit.

Honestly Peter go for it if you do don’t go for a wireless one kept get interference from the engine and ended up sending it back for a wired one. I think it cost £120 but you can wire another camera to it facing the other way for class C reversing.

Paul

Any chance of a pm with the contact please Paul.

Thanks, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Any chance of a pm with the contact please Paul.

Thanks, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

No problem I will have try and find the details and PM them to you tomorrow.

Brill.

kcrussell25:
I am sure that people on here saw Pete’s offer for some free reverse training.

Sure did.

Peter Smythe:
We have a volunteer candidate next week for reverse training on a full size artic

You certainly do.

See you soon :smiley:

I’m looking forward to it. It’ll be an eye opener to see how quickly this dark art really can be mastered!

Peter Smythe:
I’m looking forward to it.

You’re not the only one :smiley:

Peter Smythe:
It’ll be an eye opener to see how quickly this dark art really can be mastered!

I do have a small confession, I actually did a little bit of trailer reversing this week - but it was only a 4m long job behind a VW T5…