Concerns over crew mate

Right so I’m now on the night trunk but there’s to many night drivers, there’s 6 night drivers and 5 trunks (always a spare available) and whoever is spare for the night if all trunks are manned they will twin crew on the last trunk. So far this week it’s been me and I’ve been running on the last trunk with that driver. Now as a guy he’s sound and I get on well with him, he’s easy to work with an we both just crack on and get it done but his driving doesn’t leave much to be desired, his actual ability is spot on but he’s just a nutter all week so far when he has been behind the wheel he’s been driving the double deckers we work on like a race car. Flying in to roundabouts bouncing off every kerb, crossing lanes without warning and just generally racing around. Now all I ask is should I be saying anything to any1 (boss, night manager or driver himself? etc) or should I be keeping my mouth shut and hoping he keeps getting lucky? I’d hate to put the lad out of work but I can’t help but think I shouldn’t be allowing this to happen and not saying anything. The lad in question is agency atm but comes on to the books within a week or so. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you feel you are not safe then you have a right to inform the company and not to go out with that driver if they are driving

Do you have a driver trainer/assessor within the company :question:

I feel concerned more for the public and any1 who may be driving around us as his driving can be a little unpredictable, if he does indicate it’s usually only a single flash literally as he pulls the manoeuvre. He’s made a couple comments when I’ve been driving that I need to “sharpen up” and go quicker in certain areas. I usually do the return leg and that’s when we are usually at our heaviest. Last night we weighed out the hub at 42400kgs and so I feel what I’m doing is more then competent and as such do not react to his comments. Unfortunately we don’t our boss has and experienced class 1 driver and an experienced class 2 driver and both are very good at what they do and if he gets told of any issues with any class 1 / 2 drivers they usually get put with either of them to hopefully get said issues sorted. And he’ll get them to report back to him on the results and take whatever action necessary. Thanks for the reply ROG :slight_smile:

Talk to the driver about it, when he’s mentioned that you should sharpen up was a great opportunity to say what you think about his driving.

tachograph:
Talk to the driver about it, when he’s mentioned that you should sharpen up was a great opportunity to say what you think about his driving.

Very true as you say I could’ve used that as a good opportunity to have a word with him. However as you suggest I shall try talking to him about it on the run up tonight. Thanks

Just tell him stop driving like a prick…simple

Would have a word with the boss tbh,if his driving is that bad and something happens and hurts either you or a member of the public,first thing boss would say is “if you knew his driving was like that why didn’t you say could have stopped it happening” more so now if he’s still agency still got time to get shot coz once he is full time it’s a harder thing to get rid of someone.

I can understand the last thing you would want is to potentially put someone out of a job mate, especially someone you can get on with and is probably a nice guy but, and a big but, driving trucks is a huge responsibility and needs to be viewed with that in mind. If you feel you should say something then I would do that personally. Maybe try and mention something in general conversation with him if possible and if he doesn’t pick up on it, then talk to the TM or at least a supervisor. How would you feel if he wiped out another vehicle and injured/ killed someone, something like that will stay with you for life.

Just finished a forklift course and the other lad doing it with me is as nice a young lad as you could meet and the instructor felt the same but the instructor also said he doesn’t pass people on whether they’re decent people or ■■■■■■■■■■ he will only pass them if they are competent at operating a forklift safely and I think that sentiment applies here.

Worst case.
A: He loses his job
B: you have to live with the guilt you never said anything (to him or the boss) after he kills someone.

If he’s as bad as you say, you really need to act on it.

Its a delicate situation you find yourself in, you need to be very tactful because other than being on the books you don’t have any sort of actual status over this guy by the sounds of things.

I would be asking “why do I need to sharpen up” and that then opens up a conversation about driving styles… But if you don’t feel comfortable riding with him, tell the gaffer that, and if he/she has got anything about them, they will assess him and tell him they’ve had a complaint from a member of the public.

And I thought we were getting on well mate? :open_mouth:

Personally I’d keep my gob shut and wait to be moved on to my own rig, along with him probably getting the boot for having an accident.
Neither you nor the boss will change his driving style, that will only happen sadly when he screws up…
And if you do have a word with management, he might get the boot and carry on driving like he does elsewhere.
Plus the moment you have a word with the boss, the other drivers won’t trust you!

Sadly mate you’re screwed, and you have to accept that it’s not your job to fix the world, even if you do have good intentions.
It generally only ever bites you on the arse…

Evil8Beezle:
And I thought we were getting on well mate? :open_mouth:

Personally I’d keep my gob shut and wait to be moved on to my own rig, along with him probably getting the boot for having an accident.
Neither you nor the boss will change his driving style, that will only happen sadly when he screws up…
And if you do have a word with management, he might get the boot and carry on driving like he does elsewhere.
Plus the moment you have a word with the boss, the other drivers won’t trust you!

Sadly mate you’re screwed, and you have to accept that it’s not your job to fix the world, even if you do have good intentions.
It generally only ever bites you on the arse…

[emoji56] don’t stress young sir, we are fine [emoji12]

Well I attempted to speak to him about my concerns last night but it appeared to fall on deaf ears. However the night manager wasn’t impressed at all by the way he saw him couple our double decker and came an asked for my opinion on his driving / working style and so I responded with an honest opinion / account and what happens from their is up to him / the firm. Anyway Beezle on another note I thought you said this TPN hub was an easy gig??!! It is apart from the reverse bay park which I am really struggling to get to grips with right now [emoji30][emoji30] just seem to hash it up every time I attempt it [emoji23]

Only other thing that amazes me is dodging the suicidal forkies as I drive through to bay D5 (bay I’m usually unloaded & reloaded in)

Good run just want to crack that bay park! [emoji23]

Cheers

I’ve done a few runs with another driver. I thought he was going fast when he wasn’t and vice versa it could just be the change of seat that is doing it.

Lol, so they are making you park up on the right backing on to the warehouse. That’s a ■■■■■, as most of the trucks are on the other side where you don’t have to reverse…

Well best of luck with the firm sorting out this other driver mate, keep us posted…

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

Evil8Beezle:
Lol, so they are making you park up on the right backing on to the warehouse. That’s a ■■■■■, as most of the trucks are on the other side where you don’t have to reverse…

Well best of luck with the firm sorting out this other driver mate, keep us posted…

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

They certainly are and after all that struggle to get in there you are usually only in the bay for 10 / 15 mins before they shout you in! [emoji23] Sod’s law I wouldn’t get the easy approach but I’m sure I’ll crack it… eventually lol!

Will do mate, as when I hear anything [emoji846]

UselessForce:
Right so I’m now on the night trunk but there’s to many night drivers, there’s 6 night drivers and 5 trunks (always a spare available) and whoever is spare for the night if all trunks are manned they will twin crew on the last trunk. So far this week it’s been me and I’ve been running on the last trunk with that driver. Now as a guy he’s sound and I get on well with him, he’s easy to work with an we both just crack on and get it done but his driving doesn’t leave much to be desired, his actual ability is spot on but he’s just a nutter all week so far when he has been behind the wheel he’s been driving the double deckers we work on like a race car. Flying in to roundabouts bouncing off every kerb, crossing lanes without warning and just generally racing around. Now all I ask is should I be saying anything to any1 (boss, night manager or driver himself? etc) or should I be keeping my mouth shut and hoping he keeps getting lucky? I’d hate to put the lad out of work but I can’t help but think I shouldn’t be allowing this to happen and not saying anything. The lad in question is agency atm but comes on to the books within a week or so. Cheers

If he’s drivings that bad he’ll be found out sooner or later anyway just hope he doesn’t kill anyone in the meantime lol[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Riojoe123:

UselessForce:

If he’s drivings that bad he’ll be found out sooner or later anyway just hope he doesn’t kill anyone in the meantime lol[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Think work have already started looking in to it, day drivers have also been complaining about him not to do with his driving but leaving their trucks in a state when he’s finished so that’s another thing against him.