First day as an Agency Driver

As the saying goes - you should never judge a book by its’ cover, or in this case an agency by its’ website.

Checked out 2 agencies last week (online and face to face).

Agency 1

This one had quite a few driving jobs listed across all categories on their website (3.5T and up) Admittedly the list appeared to be out of date (it said January at the top) , nevertheless I took the number of vacancies as an encouraging sign. However when I spoke to them they made lots of ummm and ahhhh noises over the difficulty of finding me ANY work (even 3.5T) due to my lack of experience and despite saying they would be in touch, have not been.

Agency 2

This one also had a current vacancies section on their website, however disappointingly it was blank. Despite this, I still went in to see them.

They were very positive and welcoming from the start and gave me some forms to complete which I arranged to return last Thursday. By close of play the following day (Friday) - they’d already booked me for all the following week (this week) :sunglasses:.

No class 2 work yet - was in a Merc Sprinter today, will be in a 7.5 tonner for the rest of the week, but it’s all useful (and paid) experience for me ! Hopefully some class 2 work on the horizon before too long.

Just goes to show websites don’t always tell you that much (and in fact can be used to paint a picture that is some way from the truth). As many others have said on here when discussing approaching TMs for jobs - Face to face is always best, so I reckon you can say the same for agencies.

KTMrider:
As the saying goes - you should never judge a book by its’ cover, or in this case an agency by its’ website.

Checked out 2 agencies last week (online and face to face).

Agency 1

This one had quite a few driving jobs listed across all categories on their website (3.5T and up) Admittedly the list appeared to be out of date (it said January at the top) , nevertheless I took the number of vacancies as an encouraging sign. However when I spoke to them they made lots of ummm and ahhhh noises over the difficulty of finding me ANY work (even 3.5T) due to my lack of experience and despite saying they would be in touch, have not been.

Agency 2

This one also had a current vacancies section on their website, however disappointingly it was blank. Despite this, I still went in to see them.

They were very positive and welcoming from the start and gave me some forms to complete which I arranged to return last Thursday. By close of play the following day (Friday) - they’d already booked me for all the following week (this week) :sunglasses:.

No class 2 work yet - was in a Merc Sprinter today, will be in a 7.5 tonner for the rest of the week, but it’s all useful (and paid) experience for me ! Hopefully some class 2 work on the horizon before too long.

Just goes to show websites don’t always tell you that much (and in fact can be used to paint a picture that is some way from the truth). As many others have said on here when discussing approaching TMs for jobs - Face to face is always best, so I reckon you can say the same for agencies.

Your Experience with the agencies is similar to mine, got Van work/7.5 ton work from one, nothing from the other.

Hopefully Brakes will take me on soon, have passed interview and passed driving assessment there so should just be a matter of time.

What an agency advertises will be bollox, it’s fictional…

You sign up, and as a Newbie you’ll get work in your class when they are scraping the bottom of the barrel, accept it as it’s realistic! :cry:
So you can decline lower spec work if you choose, or you can build a reputation for yourself? :open_mouth:

Sounds like you’ve worked out how it works… :wink:

thehig:
Your Experience with the agencies is similar to mine, got Van work/7.5 ton work from one, nothing from the other.

Hopefully Brakes will take me on soon, have passed interview and passed driving assessment there so should just be a matter of time.

Fingers crossed for you. Driving for Brakes does not appear to have the best reputation on here, but if it gets you on class 2 then great.

Evil8Beezle:

You sign up, and as a Newbie you’ll get work in your class when they are scraping the bottom of the barrel, accept it as it’s realistic! :cry:
So you can decline lower spec work if you choose, or you can build a reputation for yourself? :open_mouth:

Most likely bollox agreed as that agency still hasn’t rung me.

Meanwhile I’m already booked for my 2nd week of driving through the other agency. It’s mainly 3.5T plus trailer so far, but at least I’ve broken my Tacho virginity and they’ve got a 12 tonner in the same yard :slight_smile: plus I’m having a blast anyway - paid till 4.30 but usually done by 3.30 driving round one of the most scenic parts of the UK delivering and collecting plant 2 or 3 times a day.

Sure beats being stuck indoors 2 feet from a computer all day surrounded by people you don’t like - much like the majority of the populace.

KTMrider:

Evil8Beezle:

Most likely bollox agreed as that agency still hasn’t rung me.

Meanwhile I’m already booked for my 2nd week of driving through the other agency. It’s mainly 3.5T plus trailer so far, but at least I’ve broken my Tacho virginity and they’ve got a 12 tonner in the same yard :slight_smile: plus I’m having a blast anyway - paid till 4.30 but usually done by 3.30 driving round one of the most scenic parts of the UK delivering and collecting plant 2 or 3 times a day.

Sure beats being stuck indoors 2 feet from a computer all day surrounded by people you don’t like - much like the majority of the populace.

You in N.Yorks mate? When I left the army many years ago got my first driving job up that way (lived in Thirsk at the time). Lovely part of the world and recall Sutton Bank was always a joy to go up or down :grimacing:

andy_s:
You in N.Yorks mate? When I left the army many years ago got my first driving job up that way (lived in Thirsk at the time). Lovely part of the world and recall Sutton Bank was always a joy to go up or down :grimacing:

Yes , N. Yorks. Glad to be back here after a decade living within spitting distance of J10 M42 :slight_smile:

A few years since I’ve been on Sutton Bank, it comes with an interesting road sign…