Cpc requirements for new driver

i have read all the info on this site for the cpc requirements for wannabe class c drivers and also studied google, however there are lots of contradictions on what is required and am now totally confused with these so called grandfather rights. please can someone give me the requirements for my situation as detailed below:
passed car test in 1988
passed motorcycle test in 2010
never even been in a truck!

I think I still need to do all the mods but not sure

any help appreciated

Because you passed your car test in 88, you have a C1 licence already (up to 7.5 tonnes). This gives you (or gave you) grandfather rights but these expired in 2014. But you can renew what is now your lapsed driver cpc by completing 35 hours periodic training. If your training provider is approved for the course, some time can be credited from your practical driving course towards the 35 hours. The balance of the time will normally be in the classroom. In some (most) cases, this has a dreadful reputation - but we’re not all the same! Having completed 35 hours, one way or another, you will be issued with a Driver Qualification Card valid for 5 years. During that period you need to complete another 35 hours - one day a year will do it.

If you are going for CE you can get some of the time from C and some from CE which will leave you with little, if any, time in the classroom.

You also have the alternative of Initial Driver cpc. To achieve this you sit Mod 2 case studies test at the theory test centre and Mod 4 (practical demonstration test) at your driving test centre. In our particular case, the test centre is ours and we have our own in house Mod 4 assessor - so waiting time can be virtually nil. But it’s important to prepare for Mod 4 and any good trainer will provide this. This route will generate the same 5 year card.

So you have 2 choices: 35 hours periodic training or 2 tests. Up to you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: