Signed up for Class 2

Had my medical, awaiting a theory/hazard perception test date then hopefully end of March, start of April i’ll start driving, any tips from peeps?

Thanks in advance

As someone who cocked up his hazard perception and mod 4 I can offer this… on you hazard test pretend you can’t drive and look about 40ft ahead click then click again for good measure. The mod 4 is a piece of cake just remember to check horn and wipers.
And open everything that doesn’t need tools to open when checking outside for immigants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah!! Choose another career path unless you fancy delivering Oak furniture :smiley:

I passed everything first time - not bragging at all, just letting you know how the following items helped me.

MOD 1

Get this DVD:

ebay.co.uk/itm/HGV-LGV-PCV-D … SwLEtYf2X5

and this book

ebay.co.uk/itm/DVSA-THEORY-T … SwopRYblh2

and work through all of both of them.

MOD 2

get this book:

ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Official- … SwnFZXXsHs

and read at least the first 300 pages or so.

MOD 3 AND 4

choose a good training school !

Finally - you might want to consider re-registering with a different user name unless you still want to be know as a Wanabee once you’ve been driving artics 7 or 8 years :wink:

Shop around and do lots of assessment drives to find the lorry and school that fits you .
Oh and study the driving reg

Have you checked out all the info contained within the link below in my signature :question:

The best advice I could give you would be don’t bother wasting your money.
It’s virtually impossible to get a job as newly qualified driver with 20+ people applying for each job. Unless you want to scratch around with agencies doing odd days here and there, but who can afford to do that with bills to pay.
Then if you do eventually get a job you’ll be working 60 hours a week but only getting paid for 45 of them due to all the waiting around at drops and breaks, taking your true earnings to below min wage.
That 2 grand could be put to much better use, we’ll all be on the doll in a couple of years anyway thanks to driverless vehicles.
Sorry to paint such a gloomy picture but the training companies won’t tell you this.

Davec22:
It’s virtually impossible to get a job as newly qualified driver with 20+ people applying for each job. Unless you want to scratch around with agencies doing odd days here and there, but who can afford to do that with bills to pay.
Then if you do eventually get a job you’ll be working 60 hours a week but only getting paid for 45 of them due to all the waiting around at drops and breaks, taking your true earnings to below min wage.
That 2 grand could be put to much better use, we’ll all be on the doll in a couple of years anyway thanks to driverless vehicles.
Sorry to paint such a gloomy picture but the training companies won’t tell you this.

Your a real optimist aren’t you?

Jobs are there for those who look. You can check the forum and see it. May not be great jobs but they are a start to better things, bit like an apprenticeship, earn nearly nothing for a couple of years then good prospects.

Regards driverless trucks its a possibility in the future but a lot of years away from mainstream in my opinion. Even then there will still be a need for certain drivers fuel/car transporters spring to mind so I will be looking at those in a couple of years

kcrussell25:

Davec22:

Your a real optimist aren’t you?

He’s also talking bollox!

A DECENT newbie will get a start, so I’m guessing your post says more about you than anything else. Yes they may not be the best jobs in the world to start, but 99% of driving jobs aren’t that great or a golden ticket. But one things for sure, with your attitude, you haven’t got a payer! :unamused:

As for working the odd day, I’m a long term limper by this forums standards, and I’ve yet to have a gig that only panned out to be the odd day. They have ALL been ongoing, and only ended when I’ve chosen to move on. So again, maybe it’s not the job or agencies mate, perhaps its you? :open_mouth:

Davec22:

Don’t come on here with your first post painting doom and gloom !
Just because you’ve had a bad experience doesn’t mean op will !
If your doing 60hrs but only getting 45 change jobs or stop work when you hit 45 hrs
Get a grip

I’m sorry but if your stupid enough to work 60 hours and get paid for 45 your a fool.
You should get paid for the whole time your on duty, the only part of the day you don’t get paid is your break.

So does your company pay you while your on p.o.a?

Davec22:

Yes, why wouldn’t they■■?

I’m paid from the moment I start to when I’m finished with the exception of rest break

Davec22:

I’m no expert but as I understand it, when you’re waiting around you should be putting the tacho on POA which is like a Pause button on the tacho regarding driving/duty time. The agency I’m with pays all my time excluding breaks. They do pay me on POA.

I’ve been trying with agencies since December but finally got my first assessment yesterday and passed it ! I’ll be starting in a couple weeks once my security passes clear.
4 on 4 off. 12 hour shift. £12.50/hour@PAYE with the opportunity for overtime. Oddly the agency is paying me more per hour than if I was employed directly with DHL as a class 2 driver

If anyone’s interested, I can make a thread with what was involved at my driving assessment for DHL at Gatwick Airport.

Hi
Yes…be good to hear about assessment for DHL at Gatwick please

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hyh:

Davec22:

I’m no expert but as I understand it, when you’re waiting around you should be putting the tacho on POA which is like a Pause button on the tacho regarding driving/duty time. The agency I’m with pays all my time excluding breaks. They do pay me on POA.

I’ve been trying with agencies since December but finally got my first assessment yesterday and passed it ! I’ll be starting in a couple weeks once my security passes clear.
4 on 4 off. 12 hour shift. £12.50/hour@PAYE with the opportunity for overtime. Oddly the agency is paying me more per hour than if I was employed directly with DHL as a class 2 driver

If anyone’s interested, I can make a thread with what was involved at my driving assessment for DHL at Gatwick Airport.

No need to use poa if your paid for all your hours worked…Including breaks that is…As i am…Never need to touch poa then…Remember that when you do use it.It will reset your driving time…But won’t count as a break for the driving regs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

Davec22:

Company I’m with insists you put the tacho on poa whenever your waiting to do a drop so then the time doesn’t count towards your 45 hr salaried working week.

Davec22:

Evil8Beezle:

Davec22:

Company I’m with insists you put the tacho on poa whenever your waiting to do a drop so then the time doesn’t count towards your 45 hr salaried working week.

Then sounds like you need another job!

Poa counts as duty time and you must be paid minimum wage for all duty hours

WannabeTruckerPete:
Had my medical, awaiting a theory/hazard perception test date then hopefully end of March, start of April i’ll start driving, any tips from peeps?

Thanks in advance

Ignore the doom and gloom I pasted my class 2 7 month ago an ended up with a £5000 pay rise and decent job, if your determined, professional and don’t mine taking advice and learning fast then there’s a lot worse you can do with your £2000 FACT!!