Women driving class 1

I have just passed my class 1 in the Teesside area. Does anyone know of any companies around here that will take on newly qualified drivers?
Is it likely that I will struggle to find work being a woman?

I wouldn’t have thought you’d have a problem, you’ve done the hard bit and proven you can drive the thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully your right! I’ve applied for a lot of jobs online and sent a few application forms out but nothing yet! Thanks for your reply

Being a women shouldn’t stop you from driving. At our place we have two. Both very much at home behind the wheel. You’re best bet is to go see the TM in person. That is what got me my new job.

Radar19:
Being a women shouldn’t stop you from driving. At our place we have two. Both very much at home behind the wheel. You’re best bet is to go see the TM in person. That is what got me my new job.

We also have 2 ladies on Class 1, and I agree that knocking on doors is better than emails…
Or if you do email, try to follow it up with a phone call to show you’re keen!

Best of luck

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

We also have 2 ladies on Class 1, and I agree that knocking on doors is better than emails…

Best of luck

What I did was hand the application back to the TM in person. We then had an impromptu interview. I had a thought something like that would happen so I went looking like I was ready to work. Boots, high-viz, gloves etc. Showed him I was keen and it seems to have paid off!

Radar19:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

Best of luck

What I did was hand the application back to the TM in person. We then had an impromptu interview. I had a thought something like that would happen so I went looking like I was ready to work. Boots, high-viz, gloves etc. Showed him I was keen and it seems to have paid off!

Dead right, and glad it’s worked out well for you pal! :smiley:

The interview process starts the second you make contact, not when you’re called in for one…
And being keen and persistent is what pays off!
For example, I’ve seen plenty of posts on here about people saying agencies never offer them work after they’ve signed up, and my query on that is have you chased them? I’ve signed up with loads of agencies and most of them have never called me offering me work. Do I blame them? Not at all, as I don’t want them to call me when I’ve other work on the go. But if that changes and I do want work, I’ll be checking in with them a few times a week to show them I’m keen.

I’ve noticed a lot more female drivers passing our office every day! Doubt your gender will affect job prospects!!

My company has a woman driver she started about 3 months ago on cat c then took her C+E test 2 weeks ago and is now in artic and she paid for it all her self

Being a woman yep ok so what there are plenty of us btw

Go out looking talk to the TM ( containership have 2 woman working there ) there are several other companies in your area so don’t be afraid

Try Reed Boardall down at Boroughbridge, North Yorks. They take on new drivers and also have a handful of female drivers working for them. Any questions just give me a shout.

We have 3 women at our place currently. As long as you can the job physically then absolutely no reason why you should not be hired as equally as a man. Some types of work are more physically demanding, so depends what work your looking for. Basics are being able to hook up airlines etc and some paces being able to do curtains and use straps etc. Some jobs do require handball though so heavy lifting can be involved.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

This will be another one wanting equal pay no doubt :laughing:

Tommy7437:

Let her have equal pay I say. It`ll keep her quiet until she finds a husband and starts keeping house for him.

Franglais:

Tommy7437:

Let her have equal pay I say. It`ll keep her quiet until she finds a husband and starts keeping house for him.

So forever for me then haha been single since 1992 thanks

animal:

Franglais:

Tommy7437:

So forever for me then haha been single since 1992 thanks

Awa wi you Pet. Youll no be left on t shelf too long like.

Hi
I’ve got to agree with the direct approach. It worked for me. TM’s haven’t really got time to sit down and read a CV but if you turn up ready to go then you never know.

Good luck

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

Best of luck

Dead right, and glad it’s worked out well for you pal! :smiley:

The interview process starts the second you make contact, not when you’re called in for one…
And being keen and persistent is what pays off!
For example, I’ve seen plenty of posts on here about people saying agencies never offer them work after they’ve signed up, and my query on that is have you chased them? I’ve signed up with loads of agencies and most of them have never called me offering me work. Do I blame them? Not at all, as I don’t want them to call me when I’ve other work on the go. But if that changes and I do want work, I’ll be checking in with them a few times a week to show them I’m keen.

It definitely pays to be a persistent person though I’m surprised he’s not had me done for harassment for the constant calls haha but it’s helped me land a job on my doorstep.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice people :slight_smile: