A55 near conwy 70mph limit?

Driving on the 55 for the first time in ages (heading to Dublin) and noticed a 70mph limit sign on the dual carriageway near the tunnels. How does this differ to a national speed limit sign? Is it saying any vehicle can do 70 on this stretch? (which would surprise me as it’s bloody curvy!)
I assume as it’s a dual Carriageway lorries and vans are still expected to do the lower speeds??
Later you pass a NSL sign!
Anyone any thoughts?

mabey theve just decided that after all these years theyre flogging a dead horse trying to slow the mad paddy boat chasers down… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
mabey theve just decided that after all these years theyre flogging a dead horse trying to slow the mad paddy boat chasers down… :slight_smile:

Maybe a bit like the “Trucks 90” signs on the A26 heading to Calais? 90kph for Euro drivers and 90mph for Eire fridges heading for the boat?

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

Maybe a bit like the “Trucks 90” signs on the A26 heading to Calais? 90kph for Euro drivers and 90mph for Eire fridges heading for the boat?

+1.same rules apply there…though 200 marlborough wont just get you away with murder just so easy nowadays. :smiley:

If it’s from a boat route, it might be to remind non-locals of the speed limit in a similar way to getting “drive on the left” around port areas. It doesn’t mean you can turn off the limiter unfortunately especially in North Wales where they are supposed to be super-hot on speeding.

There used to be a few of these on the Kendal bypass from the M6 into the Lake District years ago, probably due to the number of foreign drivers who forgot we don’t look too favourably on doing 110 down the dual carriageway…unless you’re a farmer.

trevHCS:
If it’s from a boat route, it might be to remind non-locals of the speed limit in a similar way to getting “drive on the left” around port areas. It doesn’t mean you can turn off the limiter unfortunately especially in North Wales where they are supposed to be super-hot on speeding.

There used to be a few of these on the Kendal bypass from the M6 into the Lake District years ago, probably due to the number of foreign drivers who forgot we don’t look too favourably on doing 110 down the dual carriageway…unless you’re a farmer.

Or a Senior Traffic Commissioner, alledegly.

Used to live up there and it’s strange and never really understood though it is in the same stretch where there are extra restrictions incl learner drivers so that’s probably connected. It’s that 50mph stretch just before (or after it) that’s really annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

Agreed I couldn’t keep up with them in a vito!!