Container training tomorrow apparently

So I’m supposed to be getting finished early enough tonight to do some container training tomorrow. We only have one container so seems a bit pointless unless we are all having to do it on nights. Don’t think any other night drivers are trained for containers off the top of my head. We did have two skellies during peak though so guess it might be for peak again.
I’m sure that will be fun. But then again it’s also another bow to add to my collection for future use maybe.

Best of luck, it’s a doddle really. Port procedures is where it gets tricky.

Box jockey training should also include 5minutes on how to get into bed sharpish. I find telling the loading gang to hurry up ensures a good kip.

Turns out they need two of us on nights trained for containers as we will be running in and out of Daventry rail freight terminal on nights again. So me and a nother have been chosen to be the ones to do it. Not sure if that’s a compliment or who is most likely to just do as they are told lol no ports involved thankfully. That’s all the details I have at the moment. I’d I’m back for 3 then I’ll be in early for my training of not it won’t be getting done tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

simcor:
Not sure if that’s a compliment

May I present exhibit A :smiley:

Dipper_Dave:
it’s a doddle

:wink:

Done and dusted and off I go home. Nice easy work an absolute doddle.

simcor:

Well do elaborate mate, you can’t leave us all hanging! :smiley:

I’ve not done skelly trailers and would like that in my armory as it all helps, even shunting… :wink:
I’m not asking for a regurgitation of it, just how long it took to have it all explained, how hard it was to pick up, and how you found getting to grips with adjusting the trailer. That sort of stuff…

And not the music you were listening to! :laughing:

Nothing really much to tell to be honest. Completing some SSOW paperwork the usual box ticking stuff.

A show around the trailer, check it pretty as much as you would any normal trailer, but in addition checking the twist locks are secure and suzie arm is extended all the way out, put paperwork in back of container and seal it with a proper metal click together seal.

On our OPS 13 we have to tick extra boxes for the skelly trailer apart from the last three which relate to tail lifts and also height is running at 14’6" as opposed to 14’1" for all our boxes as most of our trailers are the same height apart from the tautliners which are 15’3" which we rarely use.

We don’t adjust the skelly as we only use 45’ containers so no need to touch the skelly for adjustment but that is something I would like to know for future use if required.

The only other thing to check is make sure the suzie arm is in the fully extended position for travelling, also not backing under too far as you will miss the pin if your not careful, other than that no different to a normal trailer. Again just take a bit more care around bends and roundabouts as the container is more top heavy than a box.

Drive into Sainsbury’'s at Crick, into the Rail lane, stop at security, undo the twist locks as site speed limit is 10mph so no worry about driving with them undone, tell them we are for Russell’s rail yard, provide a few details and away we go. Drive round to the booking in office had over a piece of paper we have filled container details out on to the booking in clerk, then they tell us which parking bay to stop at to unload and which one to reload at. In my case 34 to unload and 90 to load yesterday. Never drive under a crane whilst it is in motion or lifting lowering boxes.

Stand at the front of the truck with hat hardon ( Alan partridge quote just in case anyone wonders) so the crane driver can see you and they will remove the box, a couple of toots on there horn and we are free to go to the next loading bay (they are all in line here so just driving forward, making sure to keep as close to the left and front wheel on painted yellow line in the stopped position for loading. Obviously we all know if they drop a container on you a hard hat is going to save your life lol

As for putting the box back on again stand at front whilst and thumbs up to crane driver to lower box, round to side once it’s down and various hand gestures if required to get lined up, if the front goes on OK then double thumbs up to crane driver, couple of beeps on horn from crane operator and we are free to carry on. If the back hasn’t dropped on then lock the front twist locks then drive forward a little bit and dab the brakes and the box will drop on at the rear, move out of the loading area just through the gate. Lock the remaining twist locks and grab bolt cutters and cut seal off door and check it’s empty or loaded whichever the case may be, pick up seal off floor and chuck in the bin and put bolt croppers back, they will ban you off site if you leave seals on the floor apparently.

And thats it away we go back to the yard. It is more about the procedures you have to follow than anything else, they even stopped the train for us to unload and load yesterday, again whilst the train is moving no movement on site. Took all of 5-10 mins to swap boxes. We have two container swaps a night so a complete doddle really. Only an hour and 20 mins down the road each way, the longest part will be waiting for our warehouse to load the box on the second run.

Will try and get some pictures next time I am there, only other thing I can think of is window down as you are lining up as the crane driver will hoot his horn when your in position or if he wants you to stop where you are and keep the vehicle as straight as possible to make it easier for the crane op.

Evil8Beezle:

simcor:

Well do elaborate mate, you can’t leave us all hanging! :smiley:

I’ve not done skelly trailers and would like that in my armory as it all helps, even shunting… :wink:
I’m not asking for a regurgitation of it, just how long it took to have it all explained, how hard it was to pick up, and how you found getting to grips with adjusting the trailer. That sort of stuff…

And not the music you were listening to! :laughing:

Even an idiot like me or you can pick it up buddy lol

You did well after your opening statement about there not being much to tell…
(interpret as you see fit! :wink:)

And it all sounds pretty much like I’ve learnt, as I’ve done the Southampton DP World Cert.
Which basically translates as drive slow & stay away from the box and loader… :laughing:

As for Skelly’s that was what I really wanted to know, as being able to configure one is the only concern I have.
But you can put that on your CV now, and you can blag/learn that as you go along from the other drivers… :smiley:

Lol thought I’d go into as much detail as possible after the first sentence as you or someone else probably would have asked more questions so I tried to preempt it.

Yeah as you say can blag and learn the rest.

Main thing is never forget your twist locks

Best of luck easy work just remember those twist locks

Hope all goes well twist locks

Oh remember those twist locks

animal:

Excellent bit of repetition well done. Twist locks that could be your new tag for every post now lol

simcor:

animal:

Excellent bit of repetition well done. Twist locks that could be your new tag for every post now lol

As long as you alway remember them then all will be fine ( has been know for people to forget )

I ended up with a bolt seal in my o/s drive axle outer tyre yesterday thanks to some bone idle piece of crap yesterday.

Once you crop it, bin it.

eagerbeaver:
I ended up with a bolt seal in my o/s drive axle outer tyre yesterday thanks to some bone idle piece of crap yesterday.

Had 1 in my front tyre once stuck in Aldi thanks to a lazy driver

animal:

simcor:

animal:

As long as you alway remember them then all will be fine ( has been know for people to forget )

I don’t doubt it for one minute lol

eagerbeaver:

Sadly we work with a lot of screwballs who shouldn’t be allowed a go cart licence let alone a 44ton truck.