Interview with Brakes

Hi all. I have my first interview this Friday with Brakes after passing my Class 2 in November. Very nervous about it. Think I have a sit down interview then going to do vehicle checks and assessment drive. Has anyone had an interview with them as unsure how to prep. Apart from what I did on my CPC which wasn’t a lot I’ve had no experience of vehicle checks, taco usage etc.

I used to work as a buyer with Turner Price, smaller idea to Brakes but basically the same. They can teach you all that stuff. They’ll be more interested in you looking presentable and polite, as you will be the face of their company. Very best of luck to you

Good luck mate. As said, it’s more about you as a person rather than can you do the job… your cv/ application already tells them you could do the job otherwise they wouldn’t have asked you in. Might be worth a bit of googling regards interview questions and answers though. You can tend to get asked questions like what do you know about the company, why do you want to work for them, why should they employ you rather than any other applicant sort of thing.

Thanks both. Really nervous as it’s my first call in to an interview. Had no luck before this

Don’t over-think the interview. All they are looking for is someone with the right attitude, and who can communicate with customers and other workers. If you can find out a little bit about the company beforehand then that will be all to the good.

The assessment drive is where your basic knowledge will be checked out. Make it clear to the assessor that you are a new driver so won’t know all the ins and outs of the job. Ask him to go through the operation of the tacho (with you immediately following up by repeating the procedure, to show you understand). Just be yourself. Above all, enjoy the experience and learn whatever you can from it - that way it won’t be wasted if you are unsuccessful this time around.

Welshy74:
Hi all. I have my first interview this Friday with Brakes after passing my Class 2 in November. Very nervous about it. Think I have a sit down interview then going to do vehicle checks and assessment drive. Has anyone had an interview with them as unsure how to prep. Apart from what I did on my CPC which wasn’t a lot I’ve had no experience of vehicle checks, taco usage etc.

I has an interview with brakes last week went well, however have to go back for assessment drive separate they didn’t have there asessor available.
Interview was pretty standard competency based questions.

It may involve a tachograph rules test, multiple choice, so revise the hours.
Some modern vehicles have no dip stick to check engine oil.
Electronic on the dash, check that and windscreen wash bottle.
Check the horn is working, all the tires for damage .
Brakes is hard graft, drops to hotels, pubs and restaurants, down cellars and up stairs.
Some clients can be awkward and rude.
Bite the lip, remain polite or they complain you were abusive and twist what you said.
Some pallets split down, it will keep you fit.

Although I’ve heard nothing from brakes since my interview last Tuesday.
There a nightmare get in touch with.

The number they called me with just rings out
Emails I send to the careers email bounced and don’t deliver.
When I ring the customer service and try to get directed to the transport you get fobbed off.
The place is pretty high security too so turning up is not an option either.
I have another job offer that isn’t as well paid, if I don’t here from brakes today I’ll have to take that instead.

thehig:
Although I’ve heard nothing from brakes since my interview last Tuesday.
There a nightmare get in touch with.

The number they called me with just rings out
Emails I send to the careers email bounced and don’t deliver.
When I ring the customer service and try to get directed to the transport you get fobbed off.
The place is pretty high security too so turning up is not an option either.
I have another job offer that isn’t as well paid, if I don’t here from brakes today I’ll have to take that instead.

Sounds ominous. What was the interview process like?

toby1234abc:
It may involve a tachograph rules test, multiple choice, so revise the hours.
Some modern vehicles have no dip stick

That’s dozy well depressed now then :grimacing:

All they want to know is your work ethics, appearance and can you drive from a to b without breaking anything or damaging anything. You’ll do fine if your in the right mindset for the job.
Good luck

Hi ive got a interview tomorrow woth them just a random one bit what was the truck like you did a assessment with was it a new or old .manual or auto any tips gladly recived

Can you fail a Brakes interview?

m_attt:

Tell you Friday :sunglasses:

m_attt:

Not normally lol,did 3 years at tamworth 30+ drops a day,but had it perks food and drink during the day food beer spirits and cash come christmas,used to a walkabout bar walked into the bar Christmas Eve,manageress said “do you like vodka?” Said yes right she said walked behind the bar took a 1.5 litre bottle said “happy christmas” gave me a kiss and walked off,bods by the bar were like wtf?
Got to the stage planning days drops so could keep food and drink on the go saves a fortune in the long run,do miss it I suppose but did my class 1 so onwards and upwards.

Which depot is your interview for?

Portbury in Bristol. Think it’s a new one

If I remember rightly they used to have a depot in avonmouth many moons ago.

They’ll be desperate for drivers as they closed their Highbridge depot and I’m told only two drivers moved to Avonmouth.

Trouble is,if there is such a thing there are too many company’s near there after drivers and enough drivers for companies to be choosy.
Just a thought John Lewis on cribs causeway used to run class 2 home delivery,reason I mention it is you will have a drivers mate with you who has been with drivers before,so might be a help if your a new pass,take some of the stress off.

Roymondo:
Don’t over-think the interview. All they are looking for is someone with the right attitude, and who can communicate with customers and other workers. If you can find out a little bit about the company beforehand then that will be all to the good.

The assessment drive is where your basic knowledge will be checked out. Make it clear to the assessor that you are a new driver so won’t know all the ins and outs of the job. Ask him to go through the operation of the tacho (with you immediately following up by repeating the procedure, to show you understand). Just be yourself. Above all, enjoy the experience and learn whatever you can from it - that way it won’t be wasted if you are unsuccessful this time around.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Best of luck, and play the Newbie Card! :smiley:

(“As a Newbie I don’t know, but I’m keen and eager to learn…”)

Quite concerned about these now. Are they that bad to work for looking at some of the reviews■■?