Passed class 2 27th January 2017 but!

As stated above only just recently passed, back in 2006 I was 16 at the time and stupidly got caught drink driving, since then I’ve matured a lot and never had any other convictions, this is due to be removed in September. I’m just wondering will potential employers run a mile when they see this on my license? Thanks dave

Employers tend to be very wary of any drink related offensives with most flat out refusing to even entertain the idea. Its not impossible to get work but it will make it very difficult.

Cheers for your reply already finding it difficult at minute due to no experience and time of year, so this will make it harder, but end of day I put myself into this situation cheers

I would try and join a company working in the yard, drivers mate, gofa. Then you may well get a start once your time is up.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m assuming @ 16 you were also driving illegally too?
As said employers don’t like it but as it was 11 years ago I’m sure it would be overlooked as long as you’ve kept your nose clean since.

Thanks for your comments, I’m prepared to do anything it takes to prove I’m worthy of.a job, and I was legal it was on a 50cc scooter.

Hi O/P this is something I have some experience in dealing with, like you I have a DR10 on my licence (from a real stupid moment!) only mine was 4 1/2 yrs ago rather then your 11.

I didn’t have and still don’t have a single issue finding / getting work I’ve been full time at my current place for fast approaching a yr now on class 2, when I passed class 1 my current place ended up saying there wouldn’t be any artic work for a while as they had enough class 1 drivers already and so I set upon finding other work. I found pretty much all agencies and big well known firms weren’t interested in me due to the DR but however the privately owned small / large family firms were willing to give a shot like from my area it was the likes of (Gregory Dist/Kay’s Transport, Evans Transport, Ways, Parsons, Wains, Hockin…etc) and lead to work offers however my firm have now said a couple weeks and I’ll have an artic thus I have decided to stay put as is always said, better the devil you know. Hope this has helped to some degree and good luck in your future.

Cheers for that, I’ll get on with looking at smaller firms, I could potentially have a job with mallinsons in Barnsley, but they don’t know about my dr10. I thought it was same as car that after 5 years it wouldn’t have any effect. Pretty sure when I speak to TM he won’t want to know.

No worries pal, I believe it’s the way to go as I find they are usually also likely the ones to give newbies a chance and in my experience usually have a little bargaining powers with their insurers :slight_smile: I thought that it was law after 5yrs a DR is now treated as rehabilitated and that it could no longer effect insurances. The fact it remains on your licence for 11yrs is purely for if you went on to reoffend (which I certainly will not and pretty sure most learn their very expensive lesson) although this could be worth checking out! Certainly worth a chat bud, I deffo wouldn’t dismiss it until you’ve seen his reaction. I’ve found approaching a company with an issue like this is usually best done in person as for one they can really gauge you then :slight_smile: it can be hard getting knock back after knock back bud but there are firms out there that will give you your break, try not to get disheartened it will happen, best of luck pal :slight_smile: :smiley:

Cheers mate well I’m going to go down on Tuesday and speak with him see what happens, and yeah I definitely won’t do it again, although I know quite a few people that are on there 2nd/3rd ban. Going to try a few agencies too see what they say. Did 150 mile on Friday driving around all companies in Barnsley and a few in Wakefield to be told you haven’t got enough experience. Quite disheartening but I suppose persistence is key.

:smiley: :smiley:

I joined this forum solely to learn more about people in this situation (I know this is an old thread but it’s the most recent on topic I’ve found). I’ve wanted to be an HGV driver since I was very young, however at 19 I made a very silly mistake and wound up with a DR10 that will be removed following the standard 11 year endorsement period on 7th March 2018. I knew this would affect my chances hence I put my “dream” (please don’t mock me, I am but a humble man, lol) on the backburner for so long, but I’ve just sent off for the for the forms and will be getting the medical done soon. I’ve kept my nose 100% clean since that fateful night in March 2007, and it’s reassuring to know that others have found work sooner after their mistake than I will be trying to look for it. My father is a lot term employee of Stobarts (after a full 23 years military service) and has recently left his role as a team leader to return to driving - he won’t stop talking about how much he’s enjoying it and that’s what has spurred me on to finally (try to) get in the game. As for car driving, well I’ve probably got a lot more miles in a lot more countries under my belt than the average 29 year old, including extensive Scandinavian winter driving to boot. Fingers crossed things go well for me when I finally get my licence(s)!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

haydnl:
I joined this forum solely to learn more about people in this situation (I know this is an old thread but it’s the most recent on topic I’ve found). I’ve wanted to be an HGV driver since I was very young, however at 19 I made a very silly mistake and wound up with a DR10 that will be removed following the standard 11 year endorsement period on 7th March 2018. I knew this would affect my chances hence I put my “dream” (please don’t mock me, I am but a humble man, lol) on the backburner for so long, but I’ve just sent off for the for the forms and will be getting the medical done soon. I’ve kept my nose 100% clean since that fateful night in March 2007, and it’s reassuring to know that others have found work sooner after their mistake than I will be trying to look for it. My father is a lot term employee of Stobarts (after a full 23 years military service) and has recently left his role as a team leader to return to driving - he won’t stop talking about how much he’s enjoying it and that’s what has spurred me on to finally (try to) get in the game. As for car driving, well I’ve probably got a lot more miles in a lot more countries under my belt than the average 29 year old, including extensive Scandinavian winter driving to boot. Fingers crossed things go well for me when I finally get my licence(s)!

Hi pal, as above I would highly doubt that after so long that you’ll have trouble finding work especially seeing as you have kept your nose clean. As long as you approach the right type of firm you’ll be fine but persistence is key to starting in this game. Ive found most firms I’ve approached have been fine with it now it’s getting to the 5yr mark since mine (5 yrs is the point at which a DR10 is now spent and the only reason it remains for the further 6yrs is for if you reoffend the court knows you need a harsher penalty) the firm I am currently with were great when they took me on at that point my DR10 was only 3yrs old and they looked at it like if he is willing to spend ££££’s on HGV training then he must have learnt his lesson and is not likely to do it again they then preceded to negotiate with their insurer and came up with a solution that suited all of us. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words mate - obviously I’ve looked around and taken heed of the general advice here (small companies, be honest, try and get some face time etc!) so that’s what I’ll be doing. I’ve had van driving jobs in the past but always wound up having the absolute p*ss taken out of me when it came to hours so vowed only to drive professionally again when there can be a tachograph involved! :slight_smile:

I may have this wrong, bug it’s worth a try.

Login to the DVLA licence check system and create a code.

Now log out, then login as an employer would using the code.

I have a feeling it will only show the conviction online for 5 years, and therefore an employer won’t see it.

Worth a go - let me know if I’m right.

shep532:

I have a feeling it will only show the conviction online for 5 years, and therefore an employer won’t see it.

I seem to have missed this at the time, but I’ve just given it a go.

You were bang on the money, it shows a fully clean licence when I view it using the check code, only when I “View my own licence” can I see the disqual from 2007 and removal date of 7th March 2018.
Good call, pal!
That’s a huge load off my mind, even though it’s less than a year until the final reminder of my mistake is gone for good, I was worried about it possibly kicking me in the arse once more once I get my licence. Now I know that’s the not the case. :slight_smile:

How’s the job hunt going, Drt89? I hope you’ve found something! As has now been established, you don’t need to tell any employers about your DR10, just give them the last 8 digits of your licence number and generate a new check code to go with each application you send off, when they use that they won’t see a thing. And unless I’m mistaken, if they were to take your NI number and use the “View your own licence” service and find it - they’d be breaking the law. Honesty is always the best policy, but I guess it’s safe to say you needn’t be any more honest than the laws says you need to be.

Just seen that he hasn’t logged in since February, so I guess that means he either found work or gave up and looked in other sectors. Hopefully it was a positive outcome, though!

haydnl:

shep532:

I seem to have missed this at the time, but I’ve just given it a go.

You were bang on the money, it shows a fully clean licence when I view it using the check code, only when I “View my own licence” can I see the disqual from 2007 and removal date of 7th March 2018.
Good call, pal!
That’s a huge load off my mind, even though it’s less than a year until the final reminder of my mistake is gone for good, I was worried about it possibly kicking me in the arse once more once I get my licence. Now I know that’s the not the case. :slight_smile:

If it’s worked for you then hopefully it’ll work for me in a couple months when I try!! Fingers crossed as that’ll make applying anywhere a bit easier! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just read on another forum that asking about any endorsements in the past 10 years was deemed unlawful by a high court ruling in 2002 and they can only ask about the past 5, that’s anecdotal and I’m trying to find out more, but it all adds in to the idea that anything over 5 years ago shouldn’t matter - except, as is the case with DR/DD - if you do it again. Though if you’re on the spot with a TM during an interview and he asks about the past 10, pointing that out is highly unlikely to do you any favours, lol.